Eating Too Much Sugar?

Options
I'm having a hard time staying within my sugar levels. I'm given a goal of 32 g a day and my fruit alone usually sets me over. Does sugar matter if it's naturally found in fruits vs processed foods?

Replies

• bgirly55
    bgirly55 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue... I'm not sure of the technical answer, but I've still lost weight... I do try and stay under, but it's very hard to do! :)
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    unless you are a diabetic (like me) it isn't worth losing sleep over. Diabetics look at carbs anyway not sugar. It does matter whether it is from processed food or not. Some people will tell you sugar is sugar but it isn't because with fruit you are also getting a lot of fiber and nutrients that balance out the sugar. As long as you aren't eating tons of fruit every day and it is only a couple pieces or cups of fresh fruit you should be fine.
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to that either, but I think that if you're going over your sugar and it's from fruit, then it's probably not that bad...if you're eating a ton of fruit for snacks or something then maybe try adding some more veggies into your diet instead? I also think that if you're losing weight, then it probably doesn't matter so much...unless you're diabetic than you do have to watch your sugars even in fruit. Hope that helps!
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    also, watch how much juice you're drinking, because that's high in sugar and it isn't always from natural sources :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You will get varying answers on this one... my opinion is that if the sugar is coming from fruit I don't worry about it. It's packaged with lots of fibre and vitamins and other goodies.
    If it's coming from cakes and biscuits and chocolate and lollies then you have a problem.
  • KarenC1933
    KarenC1933 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a insulin-dependent diabetic, so I control my sugar intake at all times. In general, some forms of sugar are "healthier" than others. You might want to check out "The Sugar Solution" cookbook. Its got some great easy recipes that will give you a sugar fix without using up all your "allowed" sugar. It also explains how the body processes the different types of sugar.
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't eat candy or cookies, but am surprised that sugar is in just about EVERYTHING like my milk and cottage cheese so even if I'm not eating sweets, I'm eating sugar. I try and not drink too much juice and if I do, its usually just 8 oz for the day and its usually only 100% juice.
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    If you have insulting resistance, diabetes, PCOS then yes it matters. If you are "normal" then the fructose found in fruit isn't that big of a deal.
  • redtop2187
    redtop2187 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    SAME ISSUE!!!! Even if my carbs are below the limit my sugar is always over!