Bad log run during 1st marathon training...

Options
Hi just posting as interested in other peoples experiences of having a bad training run & how you overcame it?

I am training for my first marathon at end April & am technically up to 16.5mi. I am due to do 20 this weekend. I have done two HM before & the 1st was hampered by trainer issues & blisters but the 2nd all went to plan & I had a good race.

I am not a natural runner & am quite slow (appx 12 min/mile) which does frustrate me sometimes & I try not to compare to other people!!

I am having problems with ITB pain at the moment & have regular massages but am a bit slack on doing my home stretches & using my foam roller - which I will be addressing from this week on as well as taking ibuprofen.

Yesterday I was scheduled to do 15 mi but as I had missed my 19 the weekend away due to a holiday, I decided Saturday I would
do 18 instead. However, I don't think I was mentally prepared enough as it was the worse long run I have ever had!!! My knee was hurting which made my back & hip hurt (probably running funny) then randomly the soles of my feet joined in like walking on stones with no shoes - never hurt before!!! I got to 15 after a couple of brief stops to rub my knee, had a bit of a paddy & got upset & hobbled / walked the last 1.5mi home. I think I just got frustrated with running slow, hot, thirst (ran out of fluid tut tut I know!), fed up with my ITB & generally the whole thing felt like a chore!! I got home & nearly decided to throw the towel in as didn't see the point if I wasn't enjoying the experience!! Funny that I got to 15 though, being what I was scheduled to do in the first place :ohwell:

I felt better about it all last night & am sticking with it despite my frustrations as I don't want to quit. I know I have moved forward as I couldn't have run 15mi a year ago so I have improved!!! I think I would enjoy it more if my ITB stopped hurting even a little bit!!!

I appreciate that a lot of trying to run a marathon must be about the mental state - mind over matter & all that!! I also probably shouldn't be too hard on myself & perhaps stop thinking about it all too hard. So I had a bad training run, so chalk it down to experience & move on - right?

Still would be interested to hear of any struggles, injuries etc anyone has had & then gone on to run one or more marathons or could offer any advise on how to deal with the "down" moments!!!

Thanx for listening :flowerforyou:

Replies

• igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Have you been doing strengthening exercises for your hip abductors? I find a lot of my problems stem from that. I am also slow! I'd say I'm between 12-13 mins per mile. At home stretching and foam rolling is essential. When you mean bad do you mean physical pain? Or are you having mental blockers?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I ran my first full marathon 8 days ago and my training was spotty leading up to it due to weather. I did complete training runs of 15, 18 and 20 in the 8 weeks prior to the race, but missed a lot of my long training runs in the 3 weeks before due to really bad thunderstorms and flooding. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with me having a rough time on the last 8 miles as much as what I did and didn't do on the morning before the race, but I did finish it. My time was worst than what I hoped for, but I did finish it none the less and that was a win for me!
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was having major problems with my knees and IT Band. If it is even the slightest bit tight after a workout I use my foam roller. I didn't the other day and it was extremely tight for 2 days after. Bad. I would go for a short jog just to warm the muscles and use the foam roller and it is perfectly fine again. As for the knees and hips obviously the ITB is connecting them I take glucosamine/chondroitin supplements daily. It has really helped me I am sure you have good shoes but I do also get fitted at a Speciality Run Shop for shoes. I wish you the best and quick healing. Make sure in addition to your running you are doing strength training exercises. I do them several times a week and they have helped tremendously!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, but as you know from running 1/2 marathons, a lot of time the trouble is more mental than physcial. But having a bad run day while dealing with mental issues of running farther doesn't help at all...

I'm not a marathoner, but I have run a lot 1/2 marathons (at about the same pace as you... 12/min-mile), so I applaud your efforts! Especially since I haven't built up the nerve to run a full marathon!

Just give yourself a little time to rest and recover and then get moving again. I'm sure you will do great! :smile:
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a professional about your aches and pains? How many miles do you have on your shoes? What you went through this weekend sounds like more than just a bad run, which from my experience usually has more to do with poor fueling and hydration than aches and pains (unless it's stomach cramps). ITB issues can take a while to get through and you may have ramped up your training too quickly. What has your weekly average been over the past 6-8 weeks?

If you've got more than 300 miles on your shoes, that may be one of the culprits. Generally, runners can get 300-500 miles out of a pair of shoes before they need a new pair, but there's a lot of variety within that 200 mile range.

Take a couple of days to rest and recover and then try a short run. If you're still plagued by pain, go see a professional. You may need more time to heal, or some physical therapy, before you can get back onto your training plan.

Take it easy and good luck!
  • MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Last year I was training for my first marathon. We had a 20 miler about 3 weeks before marathon Monday and it SUCKED. I wanted to cry through the whole thing. It was lonely, I was in pain - it was awful. But I had a great marathon come that day. It always boils down to race day. All you can do is wear the right shoes and fuel yourself properly.

I agree with cross training. If it is your ITB - I was told to strengthen your glutes and quads because they are what surround that area. Yoga and pilates really help with tight muscles. I wish I had done more cross training. I was so concerned with mileage. As my trainer said, the hay is in the barn.

Have you tried compression pants or capri's? I had a friend with major IT issues and she swore by her CWX. Also, ice baths after a long run will aid in the recovery process. I highly recommend them.

I ended up having to walk some of my marathon but that's okay. Less 1% of the population ever finish a marathon so once you cross that line, you among an elite group. I used to say 'it's not that I had the strength to finish, it's that I had the courage to start'.

And race day is so exciting - all the people cheering you on. I had my name on my racing singlet and it was nice to hear people scream and yell for me. I made several playlists of songs I knew I needed to get me over the rough parts. I had one for hills, one for finish....And on Heartbreak Hill I repeated, "You are stronger than this moment. You are stronger than this moment."

Good luck and enjoy your success. You have already accomplished more than most.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Well, speaking from experience, you may want to consider NOT running that race if you are in this much pain. With my first marathon almost 10 years ago now (wow), I ended up with hip bursitis and was diagnosed about 5 weeks before the race. I was stubborn and ran it against my PT's advice..and it was horrible. the resulting issues I had from running while hurt lasted for almost a year as well. I did something similarly stupid a few years ago after I sprained my ankle during my last 20 miler. I opted to run the race and to this day I have issues with that ankle.

Take a look at your goals and what you want to be doing in the future running wise. If you want to run for years to come and enjoy it, get healthy and come back to the distance. None of want to hear that but sometimes need to just take a step back.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanx for all the comments & advise - I have been doing between 14 & 22mi a week since mid Jan plus one spin class & one kettle bell class a week. I dont think I ate enough proper carbs in the few days before & also it was a lot warmer Sunday & I did run out of fluid after 13 mi. My ITB only plays up after I have been running 6-8 mi & only when running. No problems walking or spinning etc. My trainers are ok still but will need changing later in the year. I have started using my foam roller this morning again & taking ibuprofen. I take an assortment of supplements Inc glucosamine, carnitine & glutamate.

Hopefully the ITB pains will decrease over the next 6 weeks!!

I am looking in to compression capris as I have sox & they helped my calves. Also going to fit in sone gym resistance work as strength training.

Thanx again guys :flowerforyou:
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Been there - my last 20 miler before my marathon was a suck fest and I hurt and I cried. It's just ridiculous sometimes that I consider all of this "fun". On days like these it is all about "one foot in front of the other".

This run will help you. You probably learned a lot about what not to do! Take those lessons and make them work for you. You have been training hard and your body is getting tired. Make sure you are treating it well.

To help get your mind right start doing some visualization exercises each night.... not only about the marathon, but any training run. Picture yourself waking up refreshed, having a good breakfast, fueling, getting your running gear on, warm-up up..... then the run. Picture yourself being strong and running tall. Picture yourself finishing and being proud and happy.

Find some key words or phrases that can pull you through tough spots.

Some of this might sound corny, but it worked for me. My race day was exactly as had rehearsed it and I couldn't have been happier. Enjoy your marathon experience - it is a celebration of all the hard training. Good luck!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a running class? I know it sounds silly but some gyms have them and they watch you run and let you know what you are doing wrong. This will help with time and pain because it might be as easy as correcting how you hold your hands, arms or whatnot. PLUS, 12 min mile isnt bad when you are running that far! You finish....that is the most important!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I picked up on a couple of things from your posts ....

"Ok" trainers are not what you're looking for. You need great running shoes. If you haven't been properly fitted for the running shoes right for your feet, I would suggest you doing that as soon as possible. Go to a reputable running store and have them measure your feet and analyze your gait. You have to have the right shoes for your feet. Get good socks while you're there, too.

On the weeks of your long runs, start carb loading by Wednesday or Thursday. Have whole grain pasta for dinner.

Take some Gu with you so you can take them along your route. You'll need to play around with it, but I would start by mile 10 or 13 for an energy supplement.

Mentally, don't think of your long run as 18 miles or 20 miles. It's a mind game. If you can do 13 miles somewhat easily, then think of your 18 miler as 15 plus 3. Think of your 20 as 16 plus 4. It sounds silly but you know you can do 15 so telling yourself, "Oh, I only have 3 more," makes it seem less daunting.

Don't fudge on your long runs. Get them in even if you have to walk them.

Good luck! You'll get there .. one mile at a time.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment. I am in a similar situation, training for my 1st Half Marathon. My prior run of 8.7 miles was a cake walk. Seriously, I felt like I could have run all day. Then last weekends 9.6 mile run had me in tears nearly ready to throw in the towel. I must have ben horribly ill-prepared and didn't realize it.

Can someone explain what exactly the "GU' does (or products like that)? HOW do they help your muscles? Also, bananas. I've heard others say to eat bananas. Can someone educate me?

Thanks.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment. I am in a similar situation, training for my 1st Half Marathon. My prior run of 8.7 miles was a cake walk. Seriously, I felt like I could have run all day. Then last weekends 9.6 mile run had me in tears nearly ready to throw in the towel. I must have ben horribly ill-prepared and didn't realize it.

Can someone explain what exactly the "GU' does (or products like that)? HOW do they help your muscles? Also, bananas. I've heard others say to eat bananas. Can someone educate me?

Thanks.

I am not sure what Gu is though I have heard of it. Sounds like they are an energy gel or similar. I take SIS isotonic gels as they seem to be ok for me. I have to avoid caffiene as it makes me tired & sluggish & shaky (yep opposite of what it's meant to do!!!) I do find bananas brilliant though before a run & also plain oldchocolate milk afterwards!!

Sounds lke you had a similar last run to me!! I am just moving forward & making sure I eat right & stretch my ITB.

Good luck with the half!! :flowerforyou:
  • Dragonfly1996
    Options
    I picked up on a couple of things from your posts ....

"Ok" trainers are not what you're looking for. You need great running shoes. If you haven't been properly fitted for the running shoes right for your feet, I would suggest you doing that as soon as possible. Go to a reputable running store and have them measure your feet and analyze your gait. You have to have the right shoes for your feet. Get good socks while you're there, too.

On the weeks of your long runs, start carb loading by Wednesday or Thursday. Have whole grain pasta for dinner.

Take some Gu with you so you can take them along your route. You'll need to play around with it, but I would start by mile 10 or 13 for an energy supplement.

Mentally, don't think of your long run as 18 miles or 20 miles. It's a mind game. If you can do 13 miles somewhat easily, then think of your 18 miler as 15 plus 3. Think of your 20 as 16 plus 4. It sounds silly but you know you can do 15 so telling yourself, "Oh, I only have 3 more," makes it seem less daunting.

Don't fudge on your long runs. Get them in even if you have to walk them.

Good luck! You'll get there .. one mile at a time.

Hey thanx for this - when I say my trainers are ok I mean they really are ok!! They were properly fitted & I have never had any issues with them - really comfy too. My last pair were a nightmare & I had to run my first HM with strapped up feet to avoid more chafing & blisters!!! Not good at all - turned out they were way to wide for my feet.

Not sure about Gu have heard of them but have to avoid caffiene so never look at products with it in. SIS gels & electrolyte drink & nakd bars seem to be ok. I didn't however carb up properly beforehand so that is something I will be keeping on top of from now on!!

The comments about the extra miles was a great way of thinking about it so I am now telling myself I am doing 16 + 4 this weekend & just trying to concentrate on those extra 4!!

Fingers crossed - one mile at a time!!! :flowerforyou: