Sun Damage

Options
dubw
dubw Posts: 429
Like many people my age (64) we grew up "in the sun"; running, playing, working in fields, or just lounging by a pool. Yesterday I had the third session of having basel cell pre cancerous spots taken off my head and face. I also have had basel cells taken off my back and chest. A couple of the areas the doc took off yesterday are in his words, "troublesome." If they have cancer cells, then surgery will be upcoming.

A nice tan is pleasing to see ... but be prepared to pay the dermatologist later.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with the basal cells!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My mother gets these spots removed from time to time. She was a big tanner back when she was in college. After seeing her be at the dermatologist more then any other doctor, I've been very careful about sun exposure. As much as I love a nice tan I'd rather not have chucks of my face taken off to avoid skin cancer.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Best of luck, I hope they are non-cancerous, and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm moonlight pale, and live in a sunny state but I try to avoid tanning because I know it's risky for me. I have friends still tan all the time. Even now in our early 30's, their skin looks 10 yrs older than mine. No thank you!
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    I don't tan, but my daughters do. It seems there are no warnings that will get them to stop. I wish you success with your treatments!
  • lgwhizz
    lgwhizz Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for this and good luck for the future.

Like others i do like a tan and feel i 'look' better with one but one of my shoulders has permenant freckles on it from sun damage. It really brought the message home to me. Now when i holiday i alwasy make sure im using a high factor sunscreen and staying in the shade during high temp hours of the day.

Safe sunning everyone!
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I here you ...i am 64 yrs old and have had lots of procedures ...nose face cheek leg ...and at the moment having treatment on my thumb... With Adara cream 5% , it is torture ....5 nights a week and week end off ...for 6 weeks .
    And if this fails will be loosing my nail in another procedure .
    Please take a peek at my pictures ...and take caution in this ever changing climate ...Perth W A .:wink:
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your treatments.

I grew up in a small town on the Conn shoreline (about the same time you were sunnin' by the pool :smile: ) and I recall we used to bathe ourselves in coppertone oil!

Everyone please listen to what the OP is saying -- and remember it is not only the summer sun. Protect your skin during the winter when you are enjoying winter sports.
  • CSL463
    CSL463 Posts: 3
    Options
    I completely agree. I'm only 48, but a biopsy in December identified melanoma on my shoulder. Luckily the biopsy got the whole thing, but obviously I'm susceptible to it, so I'm getting regular screenings at the dermatologist from now on, as well as a 4" scar on my shoulder as a souvenir!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I come from two different sides of the spectrum. My mother is super fair skinned, never goes outside really, and has had at least 2 precancerous treatments in her life. My father has dark scottish skin, and his skin barely burns. Luckily, I have my fathers skin