Help and advice! Gaining weight not sure what to do!

Options
About 3 years ago I decided to do something about my health and make the lifestyle change to a healthier, more active me! I have been doing fine but now it seems my weight is creeping up! I have gaining at least 3 pounds over the past couple months and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Am I eating too many calories, too little? Am I working out to much, not enough? I've looked up so much information that now my head is swimming and I'm lost and frustrated.

I am 5'6" and currently weight 125. I know, I'm at the right weight for my size but my goal is 122 and I was there a few months ago and now it's inching up. I exercise 6 days a week and burn about 500 a day from exercise. I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are correct, you should not be gaining fat. In fact, for maintenance purposes, unless you have an incredibly slow metabolism, a medical condition, or you're 4 feet tall, your calories are a little low.

I wouldn't worry about those 3 lbs just yet. Have you gained inches as well? I would focus on inches, because that weight could be anything from water weight to standing on the scales a slightly different way.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    GEESH.. I would love to only have a 3lb issue once at my goal weight, and not 70 like I do right now..
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why is your goal 122?

Is it because you have your heart set on a number, or is it because you're not *quite* happy with the way you look?

The mirror is a much better indicator of where you should be than the scale. If you're not happy with the way you look, feel like you have a bit of flab you'd like to lose, search these boards for the weight-lifting topics, and how heavy lifting transforms people's bodies and lets them ignore the number on the scale. Read about how focusing too much on that scale number can lead to people doing drastic things like cutting muscle in order to get there -- which just means they have even less muscle definition and still have that flab.

Lift heavy weights! I've seen better results in the three months I've been lifting (and I've lost MAYBE 5 lbs) than in six months of just cardio/calorie cutting to get to a scale number.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    About 3 years ago I decided to do something about my health and make the lifestyle change to a healthier, more active me! I have been doing fine but now it seems my weight is creeping up! I have gaining at least 3 pounds over the past couple months and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Am I eating too many calories, too little? Am I working out to much, not enough? I've looked up so much information that now my head is swimming and I'm lost and frustrated.

I am 5'6" and currently weight 125. I know, I'm at the right weight for my size but my goal is 122 and I was there a few months ago and now it's inching up. I exercise 6 days a week and burn about 500 a day from exercise. I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Be sure to net 1800 daily for your height.
    This is as long as you work out 3-5 times a week.
    Set macros to Protein and Fat 30% and youll do fine.
    Should take you about 2 weeks for goal then bump up to 2k-2200 for maintenance.
  • cheermom614
    Options
    Why is your goal 122?

Is it because you have your heart set on a number, or is it because you're not *quite* happy with the way you look?

The mirror is a much better indicator of where you should be than the scale. If you're not happy with the way you look, feel like you have a bit of flab you'd like to lose, search these boards for the weight-lifting topics, and how heavy lifting transforms people's bodies and lets them ignore the number on the scale. Read about how focusing too much on that scale number can lead to people doing drastic things like cutting muscle in order to get there -- which just means they have even less muscle definition and still have that flab.

Lift heavy weights! I've seen better results in the three months I've been lifting (and I've lost MAYBE 5 lbs) than in six months of just cardio/calorie cutting to get to a scale number.

I do cardio 3 times a week and 3 days of strength training. I've done P90X several times, Turbo Fire and I'm almost finished with P90X2 and ocassionally I go running. I guess I should research more about lifting heavier weight. It just feels like where I'm going wrong is with the food. There is just so much information out there that all seems to contradict each other.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to be underweight? Maybe your body is trying to tell you something.