Insomnia

Options
tnorth82
tnorth82 Posts: 186
I am soooooo tired, but can't sleep, and when I do fall asleep I don't stay asleep. HELP!

Im waking up with a stiff neck and feeling so tired and irratable as I have probably only had around 3 hours of solid sleep.

Has anyone ever suffered from this? Any tips?

I dont want to medicate but if thats the option I will have to try it...

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Do some yoga breathing. Sit down indian style and rest your palms facing up on your knees. Make sure your back is straight and your head is facing forward but eyes closed. Breathe slowly in the nose for 5 seconds, then hold for 2 seconds, then out the mouth taking all 5 seconds to breathe out. Repeat 5 times, then breathe normally for 15 seconds. Repeat 3 times.

Also, make sure all the distractions are off (TV, phone, etc.)

Instant relaxation.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    see a chiropractor? it helps me could work for you too.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Valerian root! You'll probably have best luck finding it in a health food store.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I've had ten years of chronic insomnia. I go through a few months with good sleep patterns, and then I'll have six months with little sleep - I'm exhausted, so I fall asleep as soon as I get to bed, but I'll wake up and I'm toast.

The most effective remedy that works for me is 5HTP - available in herbal health shops in New Zealand, god know's where in other countries. (There's loads of different brands, they all seem to have roughly the same chemical make-up.)

It doesn't make you go to sleep, and it doesn't keep you asleep. It changes your relationship with being awake - when I'm on 5HTP I wake up at 2am and instead of stressing out I sort of shrug and go back to sleep.

It tends to take a couple of weeks to build up in the system though, so be patient. And good luck! Lack of sleep sucks. I get angry-pants and impatient. Best avoided.
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There was one thing I tried, which I was sceptical about, but worked for me, at least most nights.

You get into bed, get as comfortable as you can. Then, starting with your feet, you "think" your way up your body, repeating mentally a few times: "I am relaxing my feet, I am relaxing my feet". Then, "I am relaxing my calves, I am relaxing my calves" and so on. You take it slow and obviously as you think the words you relax that part of your body. If you get so far and realise you're re-tensing a bit you've already done, start again from there.

I was sceptical because I thought I wasn't tense, but most nights I got to my jaw and realised I was clenching my teeth! Not long after that I would usually drop off.

Good luck, insomnia is horrible!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    in a study done at a university, the most effective thing that worked was a warm bath 2 hours before bedtime, good luck, hope something works for you
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Im the same! Im not sure if I have Insomnia though, I havent been to the docs! But i find that im just never tired! My little brother is on sleeping tablets as he has trouble falling asleep, and most nights I take 2 of his Melatonin tablets to knock me out! Some nights I'm up all night, I have tried falling asleep with my tv on a low volume, Ive tried falling asleep with music in heaphones, Ive tried all sorts! And nothing works! Besides the sleeping pills... I am looking around for some of that Aromatherapy spray stuff you spray on your pillows when you go bed, apparently that works very well! :)
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I usually fall asleep with no trouble, but usually around 3, my body is done sleeping. it's toss, turn, too hot, too cold etc.. I usually doze back off right before my 5:45 alarm.

I've tried lots of things to little affect. Melatonin helps a little, but I still don't stay asleep. OTC sleep aids put my body out, but not my brain. I'm laying there wide awake and can barely move. I've also tried valerian root to no noticeable effect.

It really is a pain to not sleep.

JM
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    thanks guys I will try some of those!
    I used to see a chiropractor for my neck in the past, perhaps I need another adjustment?

fingers crossed for some rest tonight x
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Valerian root! You'll probably have best luck finding it in a health food store.

I second this. You can get the tea (great with honey) or the pills. Also, slow release melatonin could help. Lavendar spray on your sheets or pillow. Keep your room at a cool temperature.

Good luck!
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble sleeping for a while. Not quite to the point I'd call it insomnia, but I'd struggle to fall asleep then I'd wake up countless times throughout the night and be awake long before I wanted to, no matter how tired I was. I also had a lot of back/neck pain. I bought a new pillow (I splurged and bought a memory foam one), and I've been sleeping SO much better since and haven't had any trouble getting to sleep or any of the pain I used to have.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat right before bed.
    LEvel out the blood sugar and you are good to go!

your friend,

The former insomniac
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I had proper insomnia for several months...

First of all to help get even SOME sleep I had to get good sleep hygiene, find ways of hynoptising myself oto sleep (I left the telly on with mind numbingly boring stuff - When I told the doctor, he said in cases like this, do whatever works for you - some people would say don't have the telly on or radio, but actually it can be used a form of hypnosis if it's not particularly stimulating, great in the early days of treating it until you get a good routine, I now never fall asleep with the telly on.)

Carbohydrate snack about 40 minutes before bed. Build in to allow for a carbohydrate snack about 40 minutes before bedtime. It helps release the chemical Melotonin in the body which makes you feel sleepy and aid restful sleep. This is based upon the theory a hungry animal doesn't sleep as he'll want to hunt but a full satisfied animal will want to rest and conserve the energy until its necessary to hunt again.

Try things like lavendar oil/sprays/gels, a warm bath before bed, and making sure your room is the right temperature, not too hot/too cold and there's no annoying lights that may be keeping you up.

However if none of this helps, could be a psychological issue, perhaps, grief or stress. Something that's keeping your brain switched on at night. In this case, get your GP's intervention and try and get some counselling. It doesn't mean your a nut job but they deal with these things and before they get out of hand and you get seriously ill. They certainly helped me out.

I would use drugs as a last resort or desperate measure if you have to get sleep to perform. I took Zopiclone which made me like a bag of **** and the sleep quality was far from great, they then put me on Temazepam but I went properly wacko on it whilst trying to sleep. I'd wake up suddenly thinking I was on a night out and something terrible was happening or talk about really random bizarre stuff according to my boyfriend and I have faint recollections of it. Also, it made me so woozy that if i got up to go to the bathroom I'd crash in to the doorframe and wake up with terrible bruises...

Lots of things you can do. Try and identify why you're not sleeping, environmental, physiological or psychological reasons and see your GP if it persists.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at sleeping I go to bed and lie there for 3 hours before nodding off only to wake again a couple of hours later I cant remember the last time I slept properly but on the whole I dont feel ill or anything I have tried all sorts. Guess Im just made this way and dont need as much sleep as some poeple x
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but is it possible that you are eating too little in general? If I am too constrictive on my calorie intake I sleep horribly. I don't even recognize it as hunger. Like the other posts suggest, try adding a light snack before bedtime (my caveat is that if you are under your calorie target, don't try to take the calories from another part of the day).

Sweet dreams!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have had three sleep studies done, have been placed on six different sleeping meds, did CBT therapy, natural remedies, etc. for my insomnia that I have suffered with for years now, and they can't figure out why I don't sleep. I like to drink some night time tea while I'm in a hot tub, then follow it up with some melatonin (a natural sleeping aide)...it doesn't always get me to sleep, but it does get me in a more relaxed state.
  • Ric19k
    Ric19k Posts: 35
    Options
    I use melatonine to sleep.
    It works ok only if i dont use it everyday....
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Whereas all the above ideas are great... they're not helping you identify why you're not sleeping. If it's injury - seek a GP, if it's not ... is your room suitable for sleeping environmentally as described in my earlier post and if its not environmental, then are you worried/stressed or under pressure? Even good things can stop you sleeping... any major change in your life, even if it's good, can cause insomnia due to your mind being focussed upon that and unable to stop thinking of it subconsciously.

Identify the issue, then tackle the cause of it and use interim measures to help you get some rest. If you need to nap during the day that's fine too, get your sleep when you can for now then deal with the pattern later.
    Don't worry about hearing this nonsense about "you must get 8 hours sleep a night" Many people need much less and some need much more... It all depends on your age, your biological age and what your lifestyle is like, plus any underlying illnesses etc. I personally function best on about 6-71/2 hours sleep, possibly because that would give me enough sleep and in decent complete sleep cycles (each is AROUND 90 minutes)

I've also been using a sleep alarm app which wakes you up gently according to your sleep cycle which it works out after a couple of nights to calibrate from and it is genius! I've never woken up feeling bleary eyed since when using it - the theory being it wakes you up in a light phase of the end of your sleep cycle!
  • zeb24
    zeb24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had that problem for years!!! I have gotten some what better. Most of the drinking of liquids i do, i would do towards night time. That is when i would be thirsty, so thus being kept awake or awakening due to bodily functioning, and night time eating. This i figured out much later in my life. Now if i go just as soon as awakening, and straight back to cuddly bed, its off to more shut eye and the much needed rest. I have not beat the night time eating thing yet. DARN !!!!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've had chronic insomnia since the age of 3 or 4, I'm 45 now. It sucks. Sleeping pills don't work for me. Some things that help me are...

Citrical + D, and Melatonin at dinner. I eat dinner around 8 as it takes a couple of hours for the melatonin to start doing its thing. Ever spend a day in the sun and feel exhausted? That's the vit D and it wont absorb without Calcium.

I take Magnesium and a spoonful of Honey about 30 min before bed, either in sleepy time tea or valerian root tea

No exercise after 7. None.

I turn the heat way down and have a fan blowing in my very dark room.

I have a boring DVD set on repeat in the dvd player with a blackout curtain covering the tv. Having the TV or radio on doesn't help as the commercials wake me up.

I hope you find something that helps. Insomnia is a B**** to deal with.