Question about group fit instructors

Options
Okay, so I'm a group fit instructor and have a general question that I've been wondering. I teach bodystep (step class self explanatory) and bodypump (cardio weight lifting, or body sculpting). Over the past 4 years I've been all sorts of shapes and sizes from 50 pounds over weight, to 9 months of pregnancy (I taught step up until 3 weeks before my son was born at full term), to cut with a 6 pack. So my question is, what would you prefer to see as a participant walking into a group fit class for the first time? Does the mod of the class matter? step versus pump versus a zumba or yoga or Pilates?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Does no one have an opinion on the aesthetic they prefer with their group fit instructors, or does no one take classes? What about personality? Fun and flirty or militant?
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I think people are afraid to answer, LOL.

I'll bite.

I would like my fitness instructor to be FIT. I would not have a lot of faith in a fitness instructor who was 50lbs overweight themself. Know what I mean?

Kinda like I don't want to see my doctor smoking cigaretts or my dentist smiling and showing off his rotten teeth.

Attitude wise, down to business. Certainly not flirty. I'm there to work.
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey

I do a few different classes, body pump/attack, zumba, aerobics and toning.

I agree with the answer below, you want your instructor to look fit, not too pumped but aesthetically potentially something you could aim for with some hard work.

You want them to be friendly not intimidating and motivational - nothing worse than an instructor with no energy who you feel is going through the motions, they also have to be confident without being cocky as if they aren't confident in themselves why should you be in there ability.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I prefer my fitness instructors to look like they practice what they preach. If I am paying to do a class, I want to know it delivers results.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Personality-wise, I think it is very important to be friendly and approachable and make every single person in the class feel welcome and given personal encouragement. AT the classes I go to, my instructor always makes a point of speaking to every person in the room, even if only a "hi, how are you today?" and an encouraging smile.
  • aimeelee76
    aimeelee76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Stepping into my first group class with a trainer, I can tell what I liked about it. It was more than just plain old cardio. It was sit ups, push ups, jogging, squat thrusts and another class I was in incorporated weights. I felt like I was doing some good and was sore afterwards so I knew I did something. I really enjoy those classes because he pushes me and that's what I need.
  • asunnysnowman
    asunnysnowman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I want the instructor to be having fun.
    If you don't like it, how are we supposed to?

I know one zumba instructor that is overweight, and he is by far the most exciting one! He tries as hard as we do and puts in just as much effort. It makes us equal.
    I have another instructor that is gorgeous and fit, I like her class equally - it's all about how you make me feel when I'm working out.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! I love my classes and try to bring a ton of energy, I always wonder what the participants are thinking or wanting out of me. I ask, but they always say "oh, it was fun." and I wouldn't expect them to say any less to my face. It's nice to get other people's perspectives.

I'm a big advocate of "whatever you're doing it should be fun, there are a million ways to be active, if you're not having fun doing it then find one you like!"
  • asunnysnowman
    asunnysnowman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a big advocate of "whatever you're doing it should be fun, there are a million ways to be active, if you're not having fun doing it then find one you like!"
    I completely agree with this.
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    When I take a group exercise class, I prefer for the instructor to have a figure I can respect. I should be able to look at her (assuming it's a woman) and see that she works on her body. When I was in college, I had an instructor who carried a little weight around her middle, but she had incredible tone in her arms and shoulders. I had mad respect for her, and I loved taking her class. On the other hand, I recently took a kickboxing class and the instructor was a substitute. She looked great, but had 0 muscle tone. I thought, by looking at her, that she was one of those "I can eat whatever I want and not gain weight and I never work out" people. I didn't take her all that seriously and that class kinda' dragged on.

Make sense?
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I follow a bunch of fitness classes from different instructors. Personally, I like them to look fit but not beyond the point that'd be achievable by regular, dedicated exercising. I think an instructor that doesn't look like he/she works out that much him/herself doesn't look as credible, while someone who looks like a body-builder doesn't feel very approachable.
    As for personality, I find enthusiasm and sportiveness important and not just sportiveness. I think it's important to motivate people on both sides of the scale: those who already have a good physique and endurance, and those who are overweight and/or are just starting out with fitness. I adore the man who gives circuit training on Sunday mornings because he spends time motivating everyone individually, if only for a minute (but then, this isn't a super busy class - we're usually 12 tops). Also, he seems to have some notion of your capabilities when you started out and keeps pushing you to try the heavier weights, or to keep that plank just 5 more seconds. Of course, it is also important for an instructor to make the class fun, but I've personally stopped taking Zumba classes cause I found them to be too much about having fun: I never felt tired or satisfied at the end of them.