Intermittent Fasting - Lifting weights?

Options
Do I need to be lifting heavily while doing IF (Leangains)? All I am doing the 100 push-up challenge every other day...but that's it as far as exercise...

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do I need to be lifting heavily while doing IF (Leangains)? All I am doing the 100 push-up challenge every other day...but that's it as far as exercise...
    I do.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's probably recommended...are you aiming to bulk up or lean out?
  • btworthen
    btworthen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and tone up initially. I am just under 200 lbs and would like to be about 175...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    Use that insulin sensitivity to your advantage and rip it up.
    Look into a Stronglifts 5x5 or starting Strength program that centers around the 5 main compounds:
    In order of importance...

Squat
    Deadlift
    Rows
    Presses (military and bench)
    Pulls (chin ups, pull ups)

Everything else is wasted time.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If you want lean muscle, then yes. You won't get a muscled body without it (toned doesn't exist - you either gain or lose muscle or gain or lose fat - you cannot tone anything).
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Without lifting, chances are youll just end up skinny, but still fat. Why are people afraid to smash some weight? And i mean Martin preaches 3 times a week for less than an hour each session. Not really much of a time committment there.
  • btworthen
    btworthen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well my only problem right now was that I work 65 hours a week right now which hinders my ability to go to the gym until this summer and all I have at home are some dumbells and a pull up bar...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    IMO, anyone in cal deficit not wanting to end up skinny fat should be doing progressive resistance training. IFing or not, same deal.
  • sausagelegs
    sausagelegs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    im just starting the IF so im gonna check back in on this one i train twice a day most days and lift heavy weights there is NO way im letting that go... but id be interested to see if im doing my body damage by doing this.... if im drinking shakes (protein) before exercise and eating lots after in the 8 hour window i should be ok though......(i hope!) Id say continue but listen to your body, id imagine we'll be fine!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Weights Weights Weights! Do that challenge when you cannot get to the gym or absolutley have no shot at getting to gym
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Well my only problem right now was that I work 65 hours a week right now which hinders my ability to go to the gym until this summer and all I have at home are some dumbells and a pull up bar...

So here's what I'd do. Lots of supersetting. Basically run a cut from now until you can get into the gym and smash and then run a bulk. Set up your dietary/lifting cycles according to the time you have available. Right now look into some HIIT cardio, hill running, run stairs, lots of plyo, etc to add to push ups/pull ups/accessory work with the dbs.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Get those db's, hang them between you're feet & do weighted pullups. Pending current fitness/strength level this should keep you busy for a while :)

Look up the RPT system on leangains.com for minimalist training methods.

With DB's I'd look at something like:
    Floor press
    Bent row
    standing overhead press
    Pullups
    goblet squats
    single leg deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts or hip bridges
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home.

Squats
    Deads
    Presses
    Pullups/chins

any accessory work if needed but mostly just the big 5.

All with DBs and resistance bands.