Lifting Weights

Options
OK, short and sweet.

I do 4 supersets 3 tiems a week.

What are normal effects during and after. Should I be sweating during, should I ache next morning. At the moment I dont sweat and dont ache next day.

Not sure my weight is heavy enough.

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's kind of difficult to say since we are all different, however, I can say my experience is that I don't really sweat a great deal (but then I've never been much of a sweater - 10 mile run at a fast pace, barely damp)

Aching - I don't tend to ache that much until I come back after a break or switch up my programme significantly.

If you're seeing gains and it's working don't 'sweat' it (terrible terrible pun totally intended)
  • chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chris

I'm told that my body shape is changing but I dont see it. My trousers fit better in that they are much looser. I'm dropping in weight but looking at myself I still think I have the same amount of fat round my middle which is what i'm trying to get rid of.

Was just considering upping the weight as Im not sure i'm pushing myself hard enough.
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    Thanks Chris

I'm told that my body shape is changing but I dont see it. My trousers fit better in that they are much looser. I'm dropping in weight but looking at myself I still think I have the same amount of fat round my middle which is what i'm trying to get rid of.

Was just considering upping the weight as Im not sure i'm pushing myself hard enough.

How many reps are you managing to get out? As soon as I start hitting 8 I up the weight so I can only do 6.
  • chipembele
    Options
    Thanks Chris

How many reps are you managing to get out? As soon as I start hitting 8 I up the weight so I can only do 6.

I'm following Tom Venutos book and doing 10 at the moment. What i struggle with is knowing what weight to use. I dont fail on the first set of 10 but I feel that if I upped the weight I wouldnt get my three sets of 10 out.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have a hell of a time getting sore...it just doesn't happen...I'll up my weights and it kills while I am working out.. But the next day...nada!!!I can see results so I don't stress on it..and sweating is optional!! If what u are doing is working I wouldn't worry about it too much! Even if u don't see it..your clothes fitting differently is proof!!

Also if you are still feeling pudgy around the middle maybe incorporate cardio along with your weigt training?!?!?

Best of luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I usually warm up on the treadmill for 1/2 to a full mile and then hit the weight room. I sweat, that's just me. I know what my body's doing so I know that if my heart isn't pumping a little and I'm not sweating some I'm not pushing enough weight. Again, however, that's my body and everyone is different. I only get sore about once a month anymore, and really it's not that sore, so I don't gauge anything on that.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not an indication of a good workout. After a while you more then likely not to get sore anymore.

Oh, and I never understood the point of a superset. That's just me.
  • chipembele
    Options
    I have a hell of a time getting sore...it just doesn't happen...I'll up my weights and it kills while I am working out.. But the next day...nada!!!I can see results so I don't stress on it..and sweating is optional!! If what u are doing is working I wouldn't worry about it too much! Even if u don't see it..your clothes fitting differently is proof!!

Also if you are still feeling pudgy around the middle maybe incorporate cardio along with your weigt training?!?!?

Best of luck!

Hi
    I do two or three cardio sessions a week to accompany my weights. I do eliptical (because the treadmill hurts my knees) on hills and do sweat on that, just not sure if I'm lifting the right weight as I want to look more defined than, as you say pudgy round them iddle and if I lean forward my belly hangs (I hate that).

I want to get to a point where it doesnt hang but I know that means not wasting my time on the incorrect weight.
  • katzblood
    katzblood Posts: 41
    Options
    Take your body measurements!
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi

The most important thing is that your form is correct.

Not everyone gets sore but changing the exercise you do regularly will challenge your muscles.

Your should be struggling to lift the final 2-3 reps of the last set.

What I do (and there are many variations) is once I start to not struggle. I increase the weight and drop the reps.

So I may continue with 3x8 slowly upping reps to 10 again and once I don't struggle I repeat.

For any fat loss, your diet will be crucial and more important than any weight you can lift.

Best wishes
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Hi
    I do two or three cardio sessions a week to accompany my weights. I do eliptical (because the treadmill hurts my knees) on hills and do sweat on that, just not sure if I'm lifting the right weight as I want to look more defined than, as you say pudgy round them iddle and if I lean forward my belly hangs (I hate that).

I want to get to a point where it doesnt hang but I know that means not wasting my time on the incorrect weight.

Oh .. I have to clarify!! I was not calling you "pudgy around the middle" just saying in general!! Hopefully u didn't take it that way!! It's more of a personal reflection on myself and my own goals!!

Also agreeing with the poster that said proper form is key!
  • chrishgt4
    Options
    I've never lifted to a set number - always lift to failure.

The point of setting a number of reps is that you should fail on that number, not just stop.

Also - as per above I don't bother with supersets, I feel like the later exercises in the superset are a waste of time since it's not muscle fatigue that is stopping me, but lack of energy.
  • chipembele
    Options

Best of luck!

Hi

Oh .. I have to clarify!! I was not calling you "pudgy around the middle" just saying in general!! Hopefully u didn't take it that way!! It's more of a personal reflection on myself and my own goals!!

Also agreeing with the poster that said proper form is key!

Its ok, I didnt take it the wrong way :)
  • chipembele
    Options
    I've just referred back to my book to a part that says 'if you push too hard you'll feel tired, sore and achy'. I guess that answers my question.

I will take your advice and up the weight until the last 2 are tough. Once I get accustomed to that i'll up it again.

I intend to take body measurements, I have a measuring tape and fat fold calipers. I never know where is the correct place on my side with the fat calipers though.

Its all so very complex when it sounds so easy. Eat well, lift weights, do cardio. Bingo :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't judge workout intensity by how I feel after, but how I feel during.

If you're worried that you're not challenging yourself enough with your lifts, chances are you're right. Increase SLOWLY, and gauge how you feel. I'm not familiar with the book you're using, but most programs should have a process in place for increasing weight (i.e. if you have completed all your sets and at this weight for X workouts, increase weight on the next workout). If that is already in place, I would suggest against increasing faster than that pace, just be grateful that it's 'easy' now and remember it won't be for long. If there is no guideline in place, setup one for yourself to increase weight steadily. You don't want to be doing the same weight/reps ad nauseum as you'll never improve past that point (you also don't want to stall out too quickly so make sure the weight goes up at a maintainable rate).
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    If you think you couldn't do all sets with a heavier weight then maybe try doing your first set with the heavier weight and then drop back down to finish it off. I've started out with shoulder pressing 20 lbs and then when I can't do it I drop them and pick up the 15's. Maybe that would help you increase your weight slowly??

I just started myself so I'm no expert.