Polar FT60 HRM: Should I Trust These Training Goals?

Options
So I got my Polar FT60 HRM in the mail today, and I totally love it, but I do have some concerns about the training program that was one of the selling features for this model. The available training programs are "weight loss" (this is the one I picked), "improve fitness" (I was waffling on this one) and "maximize fitness" (I know I'm not there yet). Based on what you picked, your age, height, weight, and general level of fitness, it creates 3 zones and allocates your goal workout time into each bracket. I ended up with:

Zone 1: 105-121 ~ weekly goal: 1hr 50minutes
Zone 2: 122-138 ~ weekly goal: 3hrs
Zone 3: 139-153 ~ weekly goal: 0 <--- can this be right?

Up until now, whenever I have done cardio, I have warmed up and then kept my heart rate at 145-160, or about 80% (give or take) of my maximum heart rate. FYI, I'm 36 so I used 184 as a "maximum heart rate" for me, though given my weight it may be different, I'm not sure. Essentially, tonight I didn't feel I was working very hard at all when I kept my heart rate under 139, in fact, I had to struggle to "slow down" in order to not stay in Zone 3. I'm used to pushing myself a lot harder, but maybe I've always just overdone it? I do usually end up pouring sweat and breathing really hard, but I guess I thought that's what a workout is supposed to do.

To sum up (too late, I know), I don't want to sabotage my cardio routine by either:

A.) Working out way too hard, risking physical injury and making myself hate the cardio
or
B.) Working out at too low an intensity... while I may burn calories, will I be challenging myself and increasing my fitness? Zone 1 is just a joke, I can stay in Zone 1 just walking leisurely.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice or thoughts from owners of the Polar FT60 HRM or just people who know more than I do about target heart rates. I want to use this kick *kitten* HRM to the best of it's potential, but will I feel like I've actually worked out if I do?

PS: I have seen a doctor and my heart is fine, no worries there. :heart:
PPS: I know the Polar FT60 will adjust goals over time and my target heart rate will likely go up as my fitness improves... at least I think that's right?

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    These zones seem very low but they're focused on fat burning rather than cardio conditioning. This link on Polar's site helps you understand the zones pretty well, just input your age: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/new_to_polar/why_train_with_a_heart_rate_monitor.

Honestly, if your goal is weight loss and cardio improvement I wouldn't worry about the zones - unless you can customize them and get into a higher zone. You burn fat at the higher heart rates as well, just not as high of a percent. This site explains it: http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm.

What it comes down to is say you do an hour of elliptical at 60% of your MHR and burn 500 calories, of which half come from fat = 250 fat calories. If you do the same hour on the elliptical at 80% of your MHR and burn 750 calories, of which 40% come from fat = 300 fat calories. So while the percent from fat is lower, the overall burn, and overall fat burn, is higher.

For what it's worth, I do my cardio workouts at 75-90% of my MHR.
  • Miranda_the_Phoenix
    Miranda_the_Phoenix Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    These zones seem very low but they're focused on fat burning rather than cardio conditioning. This link on Polar's site helps you understand the zones pretty well, just input your age: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/training_with_polar/new_to_polar/why_train_with_a_heart_rate_monitor.

Honestly, if your goal is weight loss and cardio improvement I wouldn't worry about the zones - unless you can customize them and get into a higher zone. You burn fat at the higher heart rates as well, just not as high of a percent. This site explains it: http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm.

What it comes down to is say you do an hour of elliptical at 60% of your MHR and burn 500 calories, of which half come from fat = 250 fat calories. If you do the same hour on the elliptical at 80% of your MHR and burn 750 calories, of which 40% come from fat = 300 fat calories. So while the percent from fat is lower, the overall burn, and overall fat burn, is higher.

For what it's worth, I do my cardio workouts at 75-90% of my MHR.

Thanks! The HRM does let me define the 3 zones if I want, so I think I will bump them up a little bit. I hardly even broke a sweat yesterday...