too much gatorade?

Options
My guy just got a new job where he works in a warehouse all day, with no ac, just a couple of big industrial fans. He sweats like crazy. The other day he told me he drinks about a gallon and a half of gatorade every day he works (he works mon-fri). When he finishes the gatorade, he may drink a quart of water or so. So my question...is all that gatorade good for you everyday? Even if he sweats a lot?

Replies

• ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would say no... If he's drinking the high calorie gatorade, then it's simply empty calories he's drinking. Also, most gatorade is packed FULL of sugar. If you supply the body with a lot of sugar, then it makes you even thirstier. But, if he's dead set on gatorade, try to ween him onto Propel. They have the mix that you can add into 20oz bottles. It quenches my thirsts and it only has about 10 calories per packet.

Or, just drink pure water.. :)

-Ian
  • jess412
    jess412 Posts: 29
    Options
    thanks...i never thought about propel! Will definitely mention it to him.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My DH used to be in full blown 'workout mode' for 7+ hours because he was a martial arts instructor and he would water down his Gatorade, so it was half water half Gatorade. He said that was the perfect balance of electrolytes - so if getting him to drink propel or pure water doesn't work - half and half will help! :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The only reason gatorade was a good idea is because it replenished your electrolytes. Unfortunately there is TON of sugar in it.

SMART WATER is a god send. It has the electrolytes that your guy will need without the extra crap and calories that you don't need. Tell him to switch to that.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    right, gatorade is loaded with sugar (14 g per 8 oz) and remember, a gallon is 128 oz. So if he truely drinks a gallon of gatorade, he's taking in over 200 GRAMS of sugar. ACK! That's far too many for anyone. Also, gatorade has a ton of sodium, 1 gallon is over 1600 mg alone, plus you're talking about 800 calories with that gallon. This is no good. Plain water would be enough. If he had 1 20 oz bottle of gatorade, about half way through the day, he would replenish enough electrolytes to cover him even if he works really hard all day. Add about 1 gallon of water to that, and he would have plenty of fluids (he could go higher with the water).

Remember, energy drinks are suppose to replenish depleted fluids, and electrolytes, and give a quick glucose burst for athletes that perform anaerobic activity, like football players, sprinters, basketball players, and any other sport that does short burst, maximal intensity activities, it's not ment to be had in mega doses, it wouldn't surprise me if he got dizzy spells from time to time, or light headed, that's electrolyte imbalance, you can overdo it too.
  • TaeKonDomama
    Options
    allenhm- what martial art does your hubby teach? I think that is a good idea to water down the gatorade. It is so stron flavored with the "regular" ones anyway they need dilution.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    For my hockey players we would always water down the Juice jugs (gatorade) because it just gets to be too phlegmy for them while they are playing....not to mention the high sugar content.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    allenhm- what martial art does your hubby teach? I think that is a good idea to water down the gatorade. It is so stron flavored with the "regular" ones anyway they need dilution.

*Temporary thread highjack!
    Its some several hundred year old Japanese system - it has a weird name, not mainstream at all (very protected family system apparently). Martial arts was never very interesting to me, so I think he just stopped telling me about it after a while, sorry. :laugh: :tongue:
  • mrsprazak05
    mrsprazak05 Posts: 109
    Options
    I actually enjoy Powerade Zero...zero calories, no sugar, and still get the electrolytes...and it tastes great! I do drink my water too, though...but maybe he'd like to try the Powerade Zero. Its way better than G2 as well!!