Needing advice for my goal.....

Options
My goal is to start running. I don't even know where to start, I've never been a runner. When I was young I couldn't even run at school because I would get over heated. I've always had an issue with not knowing how to breathe when running. My goal is in 8 weeks I want to run a 5k. Any suggestions on how I can achieve this goal?

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would start out slowly and build up your endurance. Personally I hate running. I only do it if I am being chased and honestly I carry a gun in purse so I doubt I would run then. Seriously though I would suggest increasing your time every couple of days. 8 weeks is plenty of time to get up to speed.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    www.c25k.com

The "Couch to 5K" program is very popular and sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Good luck! :)
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HeidiMuszall
    HeidiMuszall Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k yesterday. I have never been a runner (to say the least) and was not prepared. But I did manage to finish, mostly by walking. Even though I couldn't run the whole way I'm proud that I did it and finished. I would like to do another 5k later this year and hopefully would be able to do more running than walking for the next one.

I have heard that the couch to 5k plan works well. Guess I should have given that a try. Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck!!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    i jumped into it originally by giving myself 4 months to run a half-marathon....after having a baby by c-section, i needed to ease back in..I read the 'run your butt off' book and am following that right now-i like it a lot, it is a mix of walk/run and you up the amount of run time everyweek....it is done by mins and not mileage so i like that too....
  • corrsinblue
    Options
    Thanks for your input!:happy:
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner either but I have found that I can run more that I have learned and practiced deep breathing.

Practice breathing into the lower abdomen. In the nose out the nose. Expand the abdomen front and back, then side to side and then up and down. Pretend like you are filling up a balloon and then squeezing out all the air.

The best time to practice is when you first wake up and when you go to bed. But you should practice deep breathing all the time.

Good luck

BC
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 of C25K. If you want to be a runner, start here. I have tried c25k before and was using my watch to keep track of time. So complicated and annoying. This time I bought the "get running" app for $3 and it's made all the difference. People will tell you there are free apps out there but this paid app is soooo worth it. She coaches you through the run, your music quiets when she talks and I probably couldn't have done it without this app.

Edited to add: Top 5 things I've learned
    1. Go slow.
    2. Breathe deep
    3. When it gets tough, push yourself to go harder.
    4. Go to a run shop like Fleet Feet and have them watch you walk and run and have them put you in a pair of shoes.
    5.Don't wear cotton bottoms. They rub like a mother.
  • corrsinblue
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the great advice!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 of C25K. If you want to be a runner, start here. I have tried c25k before and was using my watch to keep track of time. So complicated and annoying. This time I bought the "get running" app for $3 and it's made all the difference. People will tell you there are free apps out there but this paid app is soooo worth it. She coaches you through the run, your music quiets when she talks and I probably couldn't have done it without this app.

Edited to add: Top 5 things I've learned
    1. Go slow.
    2. Breathe deep
    3. When it gets tough, push yourself to go harder.
    4. Go to a run shop like Fleet Feet and have them watch you walk and run and have them put you in a pair of shoes.
    5.Don't wear cotton bottoms. They rub like a mother.

I completely agree! I have the same app, totally worth the $3!! I like that they tell you everything, like "only 30 seconds left" it makes you feel like you can do it. :)