low weights vs heavy

Options
There's a local place offering this kind of class: http://www.lesmills.com/northeast/bodypump/about-bodypump.aspx

The description reads that it essentially focuses on low weights/high reps... I've been trying to do the opposite.

That being said, is the class still "worth" something? I'm sure it will still leave me exhausted, but considering that everyone has succeeded in turning me toward the heavy lifting side, I'm feeling confused....

Has anyone taken this? Any opinions from the heavy lifters? Is it a waste of time?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Its pretty much a cardio workout. If you up the weights and not use 2lb dumb bells or 5lb barbells, you could get an alright weight training workout.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Its pretty much a cardio workout. If you up the weights and not use 2lb dumb bells or 5lb barbells, you could get an alright weight training workout.

Pretty much this - it does serve a purpose if you are after endurance in your muscles, but for the purposes of weight loss/improving body composition, it is much less efficient, perhaps bordering on counter-productive?
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I took a few of these classes. My HR was definitely up and the cardio aspect is huge. I had fun but since you have to repeat the same lift about 400x through a 4 minute song you really have to lighten up your weights. I don't think I would go back unless I really just wanted something different. I wouldn't make this a central part of my lifting program.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As previously said, it's more of a cardio workout than a strength workout. Cardio has value too, so there's no reason not to do it if you're looking for a change of pace.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    In terms of body composition, I think that lifting heavy gives you the most bang for your buck. That's not to say that you can't have success with light weights/high reps, I just think you'll see results faster with heavy lifting.

That being said, there is merit to the cardio lifting paradigm. For example, I'm in karate, and to prepare for rank examinations or conditioning work at the dojo, those cardio classes are fantastic. I do both when I have time, but when I'm short on time heavy lifting comes first.

Note: If you're going to try to do both, make sure you give your body ample time for rest, and if you're doing both in the same day lift heavy first.
  • animatej24
    Options
    like everyone else has said when you use lighter weights at higher rep it becomes more about cardio and toning with heavy weights at low volume you are going for muscle gain and growth if you are looking to do both at once look into crossfit you can look it up on youtube i started 2 months ago and love it so much
  • star87cc
    star87cc Posts: 63
    Options
    They run this class at my gym (well at least thats what the posters call it) but our instructor always gets us to do the heaviest weights we can at low reps!? absolutely amazing class though!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    They run this class at my gym (well at least thats what the posters call it) but our instructor always gets us to do the heaviest weights we can at low reps!? absolutely amazing class though!

Hm. This is pretty much the opposite of what the Les Mills Bodypump advocates. They've even trademarked "The Rep Effect" to push their emphasis on low/moderate weight and high reps ("Over 800 in a 55 min class"). I think your gym has to be doing a modified Bodypump. One question: What do y'all do for the rest of the song after your reps? just rest?
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I would say this is a better alternative to the bog standard cardio which tends to be boring.

I have done this class before and enjoyed it thoroughly. I tend to lift like a body builder though, 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down (if not even slower) therefore i don't lose my muscle.