Exercising on an empty stomach

Options
Is it a myth that exercising on an empty stomach is better than after a meal? If u exercise after a meal how much do you wait before working out?

Replies

• curiousmissclay
    Options
    I find it hard to work out with much food in my stomach just because I have always had a sensitive stomach so maybe a couple of crackers or a piece of fruit about an hour is usually what I do.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    glad you asked this, Im sitting here just after my lunch wondering if it will be OK to go out for a jog lol
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Either eat a protein bar, banana, or egg salad before you work out...I usually eat and then wait about 30 - 60 minutes. Exercising on an empty stomach isn't good according to my old personal trainer. Also, have some kind of snack for in your car after workout...fruit, nuts, protein shake or protein bar.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good working out if I haven't eaten recently, and I don't feel good if I've eaten more than a little food, either. I tend to eat a granola bar maybe an hour before...
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    Donna, what i do is eat my solids first and leave my body to digest this food for thirty mins before i even drink any water.

I would say leave it an hour before you go.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do my morning workout first thing before i hit my coffee or breakfast. My mornings are really busy so i'm always worried if i don't do it right when i roll outta bed i won't be able to fit it in.
  • jaalexan27
    Options
    What I've heard is that when you exercise on an empty stomach, it forces your body to burn up fat that is already stored to provide you with energy. Whereas, if you eat before working out, your body will use whatever you consumed to provide you with energy. And if you eat before you workout, I think you're suppose to wait about 2 hours after eating before working out. That's as much as I know. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercising?

ie gentle, moderate or intense
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I cant focus on the workout.. I rush through it just to get out of there and get something to eat.

If I eat about an hour before, I have the energy to power through and really challenge myself during the workout
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    If I'm working out first thing in the morning I usually eat a hard boiled egg white before I head to the gym. But if I'm working out mid-day I wait about an hour before I leave for the gym and make sure to have a piece of fruit/protein bar in my bag for after because I know I need it.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Donna, what i do is eat my solids first and leave my body to digest this food for thirty mins before i even drink any water.

I would say leave it an hour before you go.

Thanks :flowerforyou: , my hours up in about 20 :) so ill be off out at 2 :D perfect time for getting back for the kids :):):)
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can't workout with food in my stomach. Just can't. However, will come home and have protein after i'm done :smile:
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot exercise having a full stomach. I make sure I eat an hour or 2 before I work out, and will have a banana about 1/2 hour beforehand if I feel hungry. Banana's also help with cramping.

But to each his own! Do whatever works best for you.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    What is your body telling you? If you're hungry, eat. If you exercise and feel lightheaded, eat.

Personally, (especially when I work out in the AM) I don't eat before I work out. I'm never really hungry or feel faint so I find that I'm ok doing it this way. Although if I don't workout until later on in the morning, I make sure that I have something to eat (even if its smal) to get my metabolism going.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    What I've heard is that when you exercise on an empty stomach, it forces your body to burn up fat that is already stored to provide you with energy. Whereas, if you eat before working out, your body will use whatever you consumed to provide you with energy. And if you eat before you workout, I think you're suppose to wait about 2 hours after eating before working out. That's as much as I know. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard the same thing. I started working out first thing in the AM, before I eat, and it feels like I'm burning more throughout the day. However, that doesn't work when I am truly starving hungry first thing in the morning.
  • 50nfit124
    50nfit124 Posts: 21
    Options
    i do complex carbs about an hour before for energy and then protein after.. to rebuild muscle
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's largely a comfort thing. I don't like working out for art least 2 hrs after I've eaten (with the exception riding my bike, I can have a good breakfast and hop on my bike to ride to work without any discomfort).
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    egg salad pre workout?? That does not sound like a great workout food. Maybe a plain salt free rice cake with a small amount of peanut butter.

Also, if you can workout in the morning, workout without eating or drinking anything. It will help you burn the most fat.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Also is said that not as many calories are burnt though.
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    Yeah I heard you burn more fat if you workout on an empty stomach the guy who plays John Carter in the new movie said that's what he did to get in shape for that roll. I do it sometimes but I just feel to exhausted to go for very long so I usually eat and then wait 30-60 minutes depending on how I feel.