half cup or 1 cup measures

Options
Can someone please help, I would like to know how I can measure food by the cup. what about mug sizes.
its so confusing.
how many pieces of fruit or veg should I count in cup meassures.

Replies

• candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just got a digital scale at Walmart it was about 20 bucks and I've been so far off measuring things with cups you can find the scales cheaper online but my advice get a scale some things I had been way over portioning and some way less
  • lenaa50
    lenaa50 Posts: 34
    Options
    thank you. I'm still confused.
    do you weigh all your foods for each meal ie. breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do you weigh as a whole or each individual food and then pile on your plate
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything as individuals to get the best calorie estimate. Never use measuring cups for solid foods.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hi lenaa50,

Congratulations on joining.

I agree with the others. Scales are more accurate for solid foods. Modern digital scales have an 'add & weigh (called 'tare') function. You can put your plate on the scales and add foods one by one.

Do you have scales?
  • lenaa50
    Options
    thank you - much clearer.
    will invest in a scale now and post the results at the end of the week.
    I was only going by eye measurements, what looked the right portion size
    thank you again
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When you are trying to eat right, portion control can be the difference between losing a pound and gaining one, but it’s not always easy to know how much is too much. If you are counting calories, you may see that a 3oz chicken breast works perfectly into your meal allowance, but in the age of super-sized farming, how often is a chicken breast really only three ounces? The truth of the matter is even if you are staying out of fast food restaurants and cooking light at home, if you think you’re consuming 3oz when you are really consuming 8oz, your waistline is going to let you know.
    So, when trying to determine proper portion size, it is helpful to tap into visual comparisons. Here are some that are easy to remember:

• One small apple is about the size of a tennis ball and is considered one serving.

• Two cups of leafy vegetables like spinach or lettuce is about the size of two baseballs.

• Half a cup of pasta is about the size of a hockey puck.

• One ounce of cheese looks like two 9-volt batteries.

• Three ounces of meat or poultry is about the size of an iPhone.

• Three ounces of fish is about the size of a checkbook.

• One tablespoon of butter looks like two thumbs
  • emeraldowl
    emeraldowl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you weigh items rather than using measuring cups. Not all measuring cups are standard size. Weigh everything individually as you are adding it to a recipe.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can someone please help, I would like to know how I can measure food by the cup. what about mug sizes.
    its so confusing.

Here in the U.S. we have measuring cups specifically for dry ingredients and another for liquid ingredients.

I think you can change the settings in MFP so you're looking at metric measures ....
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    its so confusing.
    a very high rated digital food scale on amazon is $25. That's the one i got. Volume measurements are a failure.
  • lenaa50
    Options
    thanks everyone, you've all been a great help.
    I've been doing all wrong, so hopefully I should be on track now.:smile:
  • lenaa50
    Options
    ok.
    last night I measured everything with the new weight watchers scale I bought yesterday.
    I weighed myself this morning and I hav'nt lost anything. According to my food diary, I still had 100 cals remaining, which I did not use, so I was expecing to see a drop in the scales this morning, but to my surprise, the digit has'nt moved. can anyone tell me what I've done wrong. Omittingly, I finished my salmon salad, and sat down and watched a film and then went to bed, so I did'nt move much, but I am swimming tonight.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ok.
    last night I measured everything with the new weight watchers scale I bought yesterday.
    I weighed myself this morning and I hav'nt lost anything. According to my food diary, I still had 100 cals remaining, which I did not use, so I was expecing to see a drop in the scales this morning, but to my surprise, the digit has'nt moved. can anyone tell me what I've done wrong. Omittingly, I finished my salmon salad, and sat down and watched a film and then went to bed, so I did'nt move much, but I am swimming tonight.

Sorry I had to laugh when you said mugs are different sizes. my husband said the same thing a few months back when I got him to cook something and he had to measure it.
    1 cup is 250ml, and half cup 125ml.
    The scale is definitely better for food items. I got mine ages ago when I was on low carb to work out my grams of carbs. Use the cups for liquid.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you weigh items rather than using measuring cups. Not all measuring cups are standard size. Weigh everything individually as you are adding it to a recipe.

I think measuring cups are standard size.
    Regarding tablespoon - its 20ml in Australia and I think 15ml in America.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    ok.

Please don't expect to see a 100 calorie shortage from one day on the scale the next morning. It's good that you've bought a scale and are weighing your food.. keep it up, then when you eat out (as we all inevitably do) you'll be able to better gauge the restaurant's portion size to log afterwards. Weigh-ins should be once a week ... many of us weigh ourselves daily, but day in and day out or weight changes for many reasons, but please don't think that one day's underage will show on the scale the next day.
  • lenaa50
    Options
    thank you Olong for your encouragement.
    My thoughts were that by weighing daily, its a more controlled method and the weight is less likely to pile on and is more encouraging when you see the line move downwards.
    I have only managed to loose 1lb in two weeks.grrrrrrrrrr