Fat

Options
Hey!
So, first of all I've never really manually set my protein/carb/fat levels on here or paid attention to them until now, so yeah. But yesterday I discovered that I can look at a little pie graph on my mfp app and see, in percentages, the fat, carbs, and protein levels for each day. I've been trying to eat a lot of protein, and have good carbs to fuel my workouts and whatnot, and I never really paid attention to my fat intake because I just kinda assumed it'd be low. But no! On that little pie graph, on most days my fat is like 40-50% of my daily intake!!! :o
Amd yesterday I tried to eat very little fat but the results were the same!
Should I be worried, is this normal, thoughts, help??

Replies

• fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Mine is exactly the same but I take Omega oil capsules so put most of it down to that
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You should keep your fat under 30%.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I have my fat intake set at 20% of my intake, protein at 15% and carbs at 65%. Some days I go over on fat. It takes a lot of vigilance not to, there is fat in lots of foods. I monitor very closely, I guess one might say I'm obsessive lol but whatever. I am thin and plan to stay that way, and too much fat in the diet is just plain not healthy. I think I read somewhere that the average person eats about 40% fat, but do you want to be the average person?? Not I. :-)
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, I'd definitely cut back on all that cheese, whole eggs, and butter.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    my fat is around 30-40% of my macros and protein 30%. Most of my fat comes from good sources (peanuts and olive oil) so just make sure you're also tracking your sat fat. If your sat fat is high, you can be raising your blood cholesterol.
    FAT is NOT bad, if you eat fat you won't get fat. I eat a lot and i have a small frame.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You should keep your fat under 30%.

why?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Also, american cheese is one of the crappiest foods you can eat, just look at the ingredient for something that should only say (pausterized milk and salt or something)...
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how your body works. Fat doesn't make you fat, eating too many calories makes you fat, so don't stress that to hard. If I ate the amount of carbs MFP recommends I would be hungry all the time, and would go over my calories. I would say if what you are doing has been working, keep it up. Also keep in mind, I'm no expert either. Just another dude with an opinion.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    I know I should keep it below 30%! but how??
    I love my eggs, they are such a great source of protein. I can't shop for myself so I have to use american cheese for my omelette :/ hmmm
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I know I should keep it below 30%! but how??
    I love my eggs, they are such a great source of protein. I can't shop for myself so I have to use american cheese for my omelette :/ hmmm

You don't have to keep your fat below 30%. Keep the eggs.
    Are you losing weight?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO EAT A LOW FAT DIET. Now I will stop screaming. Fat from healthy sources is good for you and healthy. I regularly get 40-50% of my calories from fat. This fat is in the form of almonds, nut butters, olive oil, etc. Now, if you are eating 50% from frozen dinners, American cheese, boxed meals, restaurant food, etc. then those would be unhealthy sources of fat, so back your numbers down.

30% is an arbitrary number touted in the good ol's days of "low fat diets are healthy" in the 1980s. Science and nutrition have moved on and good fats are no longer demonized. However, trans fat is still the devil incarnate. :wink:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just check that you are not getting too much omega 6 in your diet.