Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I am VERY interested in purchasing a heart rate monitor to help me track my calories burned, etc. But how in the heck do you decide which one is the best one. I have been told to stay away from the watch type or around your finger, to get the one that straps to your chest. A friend says to go with My Slim Coach by Biggest Loser, Another friend says the fit bit, then you read about the bodybugg and then when researching I find BodyMedia. Ugh. I am so confused, Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated...especially before I spend $100+. Thanks!

Replies

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My friend has a garmin one and he can connect it to the computer. It tracks what exercise he has been doing. Has GPS on and can give you all the facts and figures you could possibly want (on the computer when synced up). We went running at the weekend and he showed me when we got back to his house. He plugged it in and it brought a map up of the route he took. How fast he was going at any given pace, his heart rate, etc. Pretty much all singing and dancing. He gave me his old one to check out and that was pretty good too but didn't have the ability to plug in to the computer and upload everything.
  • ahersh00
    ahersh00 Posts: 85
    Options
    Haha... I'm going to add one more to your list... I use the Polar FT7... I got it at the beginning of January; it's the only one I've ever had. It has a chest strap and a watch you wear. I find it incredibly easy to use and I know a lot of people on here feel the same from previous forums I've read on this. It cost $84. Good luck in your search!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Fitbit and Bodybugg/mediafit are not HRM's... One is a glorified pedometer(that's the fit bit) and the other is an armband that you wear all day long to figure out how many calories that you burn in a day. If you have no interest in either of these features, then you really should disregard both of these options.

A good HRM brand is Polar.. The FT4, FT7, FT40 and FT60. Each have different features and their prices reflect that. They all come with a chest strap and a watch that you wear while working out, and it will spit out things like max and average heart rate, calories burned etc.. Some of the higher end models tell you how many calories burned came from fat and stuff like that.
  • kokominkayka
    kokominkayka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • bhersh24
    bhersh24 Posts: 49
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 and I LOVE it. I found it online for $61 w/ free shipping and no tax. Looks like I was able to get it for about $40 cheaper than going to the store and buying it. It has the chest strap and is very comfortable to wear. Feels good knowing that I'm getting a very accurate calorie reading instead of guessing! Actually makes me want to work out more. At lunch today, I'll be taking a walk outside and I'm excited to be able to track my calorie burn this way! I definitely encourage you to get one. My favorite purchase in a long time! Good luck! :)
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    I'd like to recommend the Polar FT7- bought it at the recommendation of one of my MFP friends and I love it. It's easy to operate and works like a charm. Under $100, I believe. Good Luck!
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got a Sportline from Walmart that is watch/chest strap for $49. I've been happy with it to start. I can always upgrade later. It does everything I've needed it to, and use my phone apps for GPS tracking (map my run)
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Fitbit and Bodybugg/mediafit are not HRM's... One is a glorified pedometer(that's the fit bit) and the other is an armband that you wear all day long to figure out how many calories that you burn in a day. If you have no interest in either of these features, then you really should disregard both of these options.

A good HRM brand is Polar.. The FT4, FT7, FT40 and FT60. Each have different features and their prices reflect that. They all come with a chest strap and a watch that you wear while working out, and it will spit out things like max and average heart rate, calories burned etc.. Some of the higher end models tell you how many calories burned came from fat and stuff like that.

I have had the Polar FT7 for about a year now and I absolutely LOVE it! I got mine, on sale, for a little over $100 and it has been worth every penny.
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar one. I had a Sportline prior to that and the Polar seems to do a better job of calculating calories. Good luck!
  • Richdogg38
    Richdogg38 Posts: 152
    Options
    I can't tell you which one is better however, I use an SX Universal from Walmart $49.00 and it seems to work fine. I am in the process of getting an Polar FT4 which a lot of my MFP friends swear by. I am going to do similar workouts and see if I get similar readings as far as to calorie burn. They both have the chest strap and I think the chest strap is important for accurate readings.

Good luck friend!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    After doing some online research, I have the Timex Ironman. It's not the prettiest one out there, but it seems to work pretty well. The strap is comfortable even for me.

We went to Amazon and compared the reviews for all of the hrms and then went to the store and bought ours. The timex had 4 stars from lots of reviews, so it's the one we chose.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options

This!!!!!
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't like chest straps. ePulse2 is an accurate, continuous HRM/calorimter that does not require a chest strap.

No complaints so far.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    bump
  • nikkib71
    nikkib71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ordered the FT60 yesterday, should arrive todya, so excited!! I have had a polar before and they are really good. I had looked at the FT7 as a friend has, but for the extras £20 decided to go for the FT60, will let you know how I get one. :smile:
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the FT7 now, it seems like the most universal to start with. Thank you for all your help. I will continue my research. Thanks again!!!!
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Costco has the New Balance N4 for about $39 and I love it. It DOES have a chest strap. The only thing I would say is that the font on the watch is a little small.. fortunately I have a 13 year old that was able to program it for me!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a HRM (no GPS) you can't go wrong with any one of the Polar FT models or the Timex - let your budget be your guide.

If you're running outdoors and are interested in keeping your distances honest and analyzing your workouts (I admit it, I'm a bit of a geek that way....) one of the Garmin Forerunners is the way to go (again - wide range of prices and features)
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just ordered the Polar FT7 f/Woman for $76.00, I cant wait for it to get here!!! Thanks for all of the feedback!!!