Jogging a few minutes every hour?

Options
Well my daily life donsent allow me to jog avery dy liek i want to, 30 minutes in a row or so.
Does it have the same effect If i run 5 minutes every hour?
Or something like I jog in one place everytime i have a few minutes?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think you would do better to find 20-30 mins all together to get in a real run. Some activity is better than no activity. But I think you would get more benefit from some sort of sustained effort.

Everyone's schedule can accommodate exercise, you've just got to be creative and dedicated.
  • ChocoMello
    ChocoMello Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    At the moment i really have never in a day 30 minutes in a row, tehrefore I can only try this.....;)
    But the burned calories will be teh same, right?
    No matter if 30 in a row or 5 every hour?
  • vernie87wb
    vernie87wb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've read that 3 10 minute workouts is just as beneficial as a 30 minute workout.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    At the moment i really have never in a day 30 minutes in a row, tehrefore I can only try this.....;)

It would probably depend somewhat on your heartrate during the few minutes here and there vs. a longer run...

Either way, if you have no choice you have no choice. So just do what you can, which is better than nothing :smile:
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I guess the burn is the same.

On the other hand, looking at your pic and blog with a pro-ana theme I'm really not that comfortable giving you diet/ workout advice. :/
    I¨'m suggesting that instead of worrying about losing more, you might want to spend your time talking to a professional.
    (Trust me when I say I know where you're coming from, but I also know it can get better).
    Best of luck to you.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think you'd get a better calorie burn if you jogged for 30 minutes straight. Getting your heart rate up and keeping it up is what's burning the calories and I know for myself it takes at least 15-20 minutes to get it up and keep it up. But if all you have is a few minutes here and there, that's better than nothing!
  • ChocoMello
    Options
    I am in therapy, for about 5 years now, but im still not ready to let fully go.
    I try to have a stable weight and not loose too much, not eat to little (it was wayyyyyy less before i got here) so i think it will be better.
    But i still worry about calories of course.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

It would probably depend somewhat on your heartrate during the few minutes here and there vs. a longer run...

Either way, if you have no choice you have no choice. So just do what you can, which is better than nothing :smile:

This would be my concern. Running for just a few min may not get your heart rate very high (since 5 min if generally the length of a warm up to a longer run) So if it takes say 2 min to get your heart rate to a level where your doing work and you need to allow time to cool down you really only had a minute of running at your target rate. If you do that 6 times you did 6 min at target rate.

If you instead warmed up slower for 5 min, had a 5 min cool down but had a 20 min run in between You had 20 min instead of 6 min at target heart rate during the day.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's no way that 3 ten minute sessions is the same as one 30 min session. No way. For a lot of reasons. After ten mins, you're just getting going, and then you stop.

Working out is a commitment. Even the president of the USA takes time out to exercise. You have to schedule it in. I used to add it onto my calendar, like a meeting, so that I wouldn't miss it. I'd look at my calendar for the week, and 3 days a week, take an hour and work out. No different that meeting with someone or whatever.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am in therapy, for about 5 years now, but im still not ready to let fully go.
    I try to have a stable weight and not loose too much, not eat to little (it was wayyyyyy less before i got here) so i think it will be better.
    But i still worry about calories of course.

I'm glad to hear that you're in therapy, hope you'll be able to fully let go sometime in the future. It is worth it. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well my daily life donsent allow me to jog avery dy liek i want to, 30 minutes in a row or so.
    Does it have the same effect If i run 5 minutes every hour?
    Or something like I jog in one place everytime i have a few minutes?

You're saying you can't find 20 to 30 minutes in a day, at the risk of sounding harsh that's nonsense - you need to work on time management. Honestly assess how much time you spend watching TV, surfing the net etc etc , maybe you could just get out of bed a half hour earlier.....
  • ChocoMello
    Options
    I can only be at the computer while working, when Im not working I sleep becourse I usually just get 3 hours every night, I cant even really find time to do my household, or to shower, i have to cut time from sleeping to find time to shower.
    I really have to do almost EVRYTHING while Im working.
    Stats stressing but it is as it is.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    You won't get the same training adaptations if you only run for 5 minutes at a time. There are various physiological changes that occur during an aerobic workout that take certain amounts of time to occur. I can't remember off hand what they are.