Does it matter what time of day you eaat?

Options
Please can someone tell me if this really makes a difference or is it a myth?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter in terms of body weight. It does matter in terms of exercise performance, and personal preference (i.e., when and how often you get hungry).

IMO, the only iron-clad rule is not to eat while sleeping.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter in terms of body weight. It does matter in terms of exercise performance, and personal preference (i.e., when and how often you get hungry).

LOL!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I have ready that people who have the least consistent schedules for eating (they don't ever follow a schedule for eating) have a harder time losing weight than people who eat at consistent times, but it wasn't because of the times they were eating, just that they ate more and binged more when they didn't keep a consistent schedule.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    my own doctor told me not to eat after 7pm as your metabolism slows down in preparation for sleep, however because im usually playing sports after 7, then i end up eating late after that!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Myth.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    As long as you have the calories to spare (and it doesn't cause you heartburn or give you problems sleeping), you can eat whenever you want to.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I workout of an evening - eat Dinner late & have some sort of snack late - hasn't done me any harm at all
  • Fatloosa
    Fatloosa Posts: 75
    Options

I've not got that bad yet lol very funny
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I avoid eating late because a) i don't sleep as well and b) it makes my evening exercise kinda lousy. Like previous posters said, personal preference!
  • Fatloosa
    Options
    You guys are better than Wickapedia! Thanks and for the funny ones too. You know who you are lol
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I can not eat before noon. I don't know why but if I do, I almost binge all day. I can sometimes get away with eating a tangerine or a red bell pepper in the AM but a meal of any kind will send me in to eating every 30 minutes and craving crazy stuff that I normally wouldn't think about.

I try to eat my dinner later in the evening as well so, I will be full until bedtime.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I've not got that bad yet lol very funny

My ex-husband would get up and eat in his sleep. Crackers and peanut butter, sometimes cereal. He would stand at the sink and binge.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    BIG FAT MYTH.

Eat when you are hungry. It doesn't matter when that is. Our ancient ancestors didn't worry about what time of day it was. My guess is the biggest meal was in the evening after being out all day hunting. Breakfast was any scraps that might be left over - no refrigerators back then.

Too many "rules" these days on how and when to eat. No wonder it's so confusing. Heck sometimes even when I'm hungry I don't eat. Since dropping my carbs and increasing my fat hunger has become a very pleasant feeling rather than a WHEN'S MY NEXT MEAL!!!! feeling.

My biggest meal is always the evening - sometimes it's my only meal and then I just go all out (12oz steak anyone??!!). AM is coffee (maybe with some coconut oil in it or maybe A Taste of Thai coconut milk). First meal is any time between 10am and 2pm - it might be eggs/bacon or it might be a can of coconut milk with some protein powder added (I'm about 80% Primal); dinner is anywhere between 6pm and 10pm. Turned out all my digestive issues were due to grains and legumes and flour and sugar - not what time at night I ate.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    The only thing about eat when your hungry is most people can't tell when they are actually hungry.

That's why so many people have specific "times" when they eat and when they won't eat after.

Now some people believe you have to eat every 3 hours to keep the metabolism going, is that your question? or is it the at night question?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    my own doctor told me not to eat after 7pm as your metabolism slows down in preparation for sleep, however because im usually playing sports after 7, then i end up eating late after that!

I've tracked my calories and metabolism for a year now. This is so untrue. Your metabolism revs up in your sleep (this is when the body does its repair. This is also when your HGH kicks in - human growth hormone - this is a fat burning hormone!). You might not burn as many calories during sleep because your not moving but during sleep is the only time your body has a chance to dig into fat stores (eating high carb every few hours will ensure your body is burning sugar all day. And when insulin levels in the blood are up - your body is storing fat, not burning it).

So you are doing all you need to do. Eating after your sports is perfectly fine. Your metabolism is probably going full force after playing sports!
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    Meal timing makes no difference. What's important is finding what works for you. Some people prefer to eat several small meals throughout the day, and some prefer one or two large meals. I would rather not go to bed hungry, so I usually eat dinner late.
  • Fatloosa
    Options
    The only thing about eat when your hungry is most people can't tell when they are actually hungry.

That's why so many people have specific "times" when they eat and when they won't eat after.

Now some people believe you have to eat every 3 hours to keep the metabolism going, is that your question? or is it the at night question?

thx no was just wodering if eating late was not good for weight loss
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Eat when you feel hungry!!!! I generally try not to snack (hmmm easier said than done) and get into a routine of 3 meals a day.

Love your profile pic by the way! : )
  • Fatloosa
    Options
    Eat when you feel hungry!!!! I generally try not to snack (hmmm easier said than done) and get into a routine of 3 meals a day.

Love your profile pic by the way! : )

Thanks it's my passport photo lol