running stitch and shoulder pain

Options
I'm currently training to run my first half marathon on April 22nd. It is a 3 uphill, but mostly downhill run. I have been experiencing the last 3 times I have ran in the foothills a horrible side stitch on my right side when going downhill, then followed by really bad left shoulder ache. It is only downhill that I experience this and considering the marathon is mostly downhill I need to definitely work on fixing this problem or I will have issues with my time and pace during the marathon. Any ideas what is going on and how I can get rid of these aches?

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just read that depending on which side the stitch is on will determine what the problem could be. They said that if the stitch is on the left hand side, it's due to food/drink. The right hand side is due to core muscle strength or breathing technique. It said it was to do with your liver moving about to much.

So if it's your left side, don't eat too much before running. Some people say you get stitch due to drinking water, but I heard that it's due to dehydration. So I say always keep a bottle of water handy when running, take a few sips every so often maybe.

If it's the left side, someone suggested doing Pilates to strength your core muscles. With breathing technique, you just find a rhythm I guess, breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. Make sure they are deep breaths, you will sort of go into a trance if you concentrate on getting to the "finish line" (end of workout). I do deep breaths when riding my bike up hills, it's exhausting, but if I get into a breathing pattern of slow and deep breaths, it helps, I am concentrating on getting up that hill and I do it.

With shoulder pains, it could be due to anything. I've read that it can be common in runners.
  • FoodAllergyQueen
    Options
    I'm so happy I read this! I've taken up running (I used to be the anti-runner and hated it) but I have been getting left shoulder pain but no stitch in my side. I get winded very easily but I always notice the shoulder pain when I get to the downhill portion of the trail. At least I know it's common! It was mildly freaking me out since your shoulder is a long ways from your legs lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping your upper body relaxed while running? I'll get some stiffness in my (usually right) shoulder sometimes if I'm tensing up too much (and if I forgot to do some shoulder rolls etc before my run).

From an article on side stiches in Runnersword.com

"To prevent side stitches, avoid eating one to two hours before running, increase your water intake throughout the day, and warm up well before running fast. The dumbbell pullover exercise may help strengthen the diaphragm and prevent side stitches from occurring. "

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2009/08/how-do-i-get-rid-of-side-stitches.html

Good luck in your race!