5' 6" ladies -- how many calories?

Options
I'm having trouble (still!) figuring out the "right" amount of calories for loss. I know that everyone is different, but a range of what is working for others would be extremely helpful.

So how about it... what is your daily caloric goal? Are you eating to lose or maintain? How active are you? Are you achieving your goals?

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This is going to totally depend on the person. I'm an instructor so I'm super active. 1700 no workout day, 1900 teaching one class, 2 or more classes 2200. I'm trying to lose one pound a week.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to figure this out. It confuses me with the BMR and all that stuff. Im not sure how to tell. When in input my stuff it said 1200 cals per day to lose 1.7 lbs per week based on a sedinatary lifestyle. I feel that is way too little so I upped it after some advice from others on this site to like 1500
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Eating to lose. My goal is 1300-1400 calories a day. I do 30 minutes of cardio at least three times a week mixed with some weight training. I've seen great results.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm 120 lbs, eating to maintain. I'm at 1500/day, plus I eat back all of my exercise calories. I work out 6-7 days/week with 30DS, mixed cardio, running, P90X, and power yoga at the studio. My diary is open if you ever want to check it out.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1400 at the moment (settings are to lose 0.5lb/week) - and seriously struggling to stay within that amount to be honest.
    I'm not looking to lose much (more), am 134lb now, but really just trying to keep myself from gaining.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining, and have around 1700 with no exercise, and depending what i burn for exercise anywhere from 1950-2500 after exercise... I have been same weight for months now...
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Currently my goal is 1500 (and then I eat back my exercise calories). I lost 30 pounds eating about 1400 plus exercise. Now I've maintained that for 6 months with this. I've got a desk job, so pretty sedentary throughout my day.
  • christy0623
    christy0623 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1400 at the moment (settings are to lose 0.5lb/week) - and seriously struggling to stay within that amount to be honest.
    I'm not looking to lose much (more), am 134lb now, but really just trying to keep myself from gaining.

Exactly the same for me but I'm not struggling most days. It's doable. Would like to lose a few more but I am happy with my weight. I went from 148 to 135. Started Jan 2nd. I do not exercise.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I've lost 105lbs so far - have about 38lbs more to lose.
    sw 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw 198.4
    gw 160

I eat typically 1800-2000 calories a day.
    I work out 6-7 days a week (2-3 days of strength + cardio, and then 3-5 days of just cardio)
  • christina721
    Options
    I had the same question. I have a desk job and I work out at least 4 if not 5 days a week. I have lost 7 lbs and today was my 70 log in. I started at 1350 and went up to 1450. I am still confused on where I should stay in. I also eat back my exercise calories.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Weigh 246lbs. Eat 1400 calories to loose 1-2lb per week. If I exercise I eat back a couple of hundred and loose more. Doctor said its fine to doing this, being still so heavy X
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    This whole topic is just so confusing, i keep going back and forth changing my calorie goals as in 4 weeks I've only lost 1lb (all in the 1st week). For now I'm sticking with 1,300 per day and if exercise cals take me down below 1,200 nett, i will eat some of those back as really that's the lowest the body needs to function from what I have read. I'm 130lb and hoping to get down to 115lb. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6 and trying to lose - i've got about 100 to lose, so that also impacts how much you need. after being berated in a post on a similar topic, i visited with a nutritionist about what i need to consume. the more weight you have to lose, the fewer calories you can get by on in the beginning. but it also has to do with the quality of your calories. for me, i eat mostly lean protein and fruits and veggies. very little dairy (i use almond milk for my morning protein shake) and only "good" carbs that are high in fiber.

so with that said, i eat between 1000-1300 calories a day and i've gone from doing 30DS to 40 minutes a day of cardio/strength. I have a HRM so I know what i've burned and i only eat back half of those calories. as i progress and lose weight and increase activity, i'll be increasing calories.

if MFP goals don't seem correct, i'd make an appointment to visit with a nutritionist to find out your specific needs based on your goals.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I'm shooting to lose a pound per week, and my goal is set at 1390. I try to work out 5-6 days a week just so I can eat back my exercise calories…otherwise I'd starve and go crazy! This number seems to work when I can control myself enough to stay under.

Good luck!!
  • kellymarie111
    kellymarie111 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was on 1220...but after reading on here the other night, someone suggested that if I was to keep my calorie count at 1220 and exercise I'm to eat back my calories burnt-but if I go by my (bmr) amount...stick to that and when I exercise don't worry about eating them back...I hope I've explained that properly. I'm struggling big time to eat that amount...I'm
    Eating way l less than I should, half the time I'm forcing myself :-/
  • bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kellymarie111
    kellymarie111 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This whole topic is just so confusing, i keep going back and forth changing my calorie goals as in 4 weeks I've only lost 1lb (all in the 1st week). For now I'm sticking with 1,300 per day and if exercise cals take me down below 1,200 nett, i will eat some of those back as really that's the lowest the body needs to function from what I have read. I'm 130lb and hoping to get down to 115lb. Feel free to add me :smile:

I total agree with you. I keep changing mine as well cause one person says to do this another says to do that....so frustrating! :-(
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I work out three to four times a week, enjoy an after-dinner walk with Hubbs (relaxing and slow). The rest of the time I enjoy sitting and playing video games- so I'm not your most active bear in the shed.

I eat 2000 base and eat exercise cals back on top of that. I lift heavy, workout hard and want energy PAST my workout. So far I've lost ten pounds in a little over a month and have lost over 17 inches.

I went from starving myself (eating 1200 a day) to eating tons of yummy food now. The key is to give whatever you try time to work. A week is not long enough. The body needs more time than we think it does :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1500. And I eat back my exercise calories, too. Sometimes I don't eat them all, but it's always nice to have some wiggle room!

I was always hungry at 1200. I'm doing much better at 1500.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started at about 1300 but exercised because I needed to eat back the calories (I was losing very well here, but was unhappy because I was always hungry). I've upped it to 1510 plus I eat my exercise calories back. I'm active - I walk 2.5 miles a day, spin twice a week and lift 3 times a week. Most days I eat between 1800-2000 calories. My weight loss has slowed (intentionally when I'm lifting a lot), but have lost pretty steadily when I'm just doing cardio. I started at 170 in November or so and right now am at 151 - looking to get to 145 but at this point bf% is going to be my focus.