Green tea

Options
I just discovered that i love green tea! I drink it unsweetened, but add half a packet of Stevia....so good! So how much green tea should i be drinking a day? I've already drank 2 glasses today. I've heard that it helps with weight loss. :drinker:

Replies

• cdwinters
    cdwinters Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said you should drink 2-3 cups of green tea each day to help with weight loss.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink a extra water whenever your drinking green tea because it will make you more dehydrated. see if you can find the caffeine free kind.
  • hlawson4
    hlawson4 Posts: 14
    Options
    What kind of green tea are you drinking?
  • jess412
    jess412 Posts: 29
    Options
    it's the lipton brand...mint flavored...but you can't taste the mint at all. i just went and bought some store brand tonight cause it was cheaper. All taste the same to me.
  • mrsprazak05
    mrsprazak05 Posts: 109
    Options
    I drink Organic green tea EVERY DAY! I have a three gallon pitcher I keep in my fridge...full of green tea. I make it iced! One tea bag for my big 6 quart pot boiled on the stove...and 3 of these will fill my pitcher! I love it!! Oh, and the organic is naturally decaffeinated!!
  • MilaJade
    Options
    Make sure to squeeze a lemon into your green tea. I read an article called BOOST GREEN TEA'S ANTIOXIDANTS WITH LEMON. It helps retain the antioxidants in your body since 80% of the catechins are lost during the digestive process.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    green tea gives me headaches, so beware that there are side effects. it may not effect everyone, but it does for some. just like chamomille does for people with allergies.
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if Green tea is safe during breastfeeding?
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink a extra water whenever your drinking green tea because it will make you more dehydrated. see if you can find the caffeine free kind.

The amount of liquid in tea will offset any diuretic effect the caffeine has.

here is a text transcript from a podcast on green tea
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/green-tea.aspx

and one on caffeine:
    http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/benefits-of-caffeine.aspx
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if Green tea is safe during breastfeeding?

It's probably safe. Asian people drink a lot of tea whether or not they're pregnant. But if you are very concerned, there are things that I've read that you should avoid. For example, I know people who avoid anything with caffeine (no coffee, no regular tea (that includes regular green tea), not even chocolate:frown: ). Some avoid all kinds of seafood (especially the kinds that can absorb mercury and other nasty things in coastal waters). Some avoid anything that's not organic (especially milk considering all the hormones and other kinds of medicine they pump into cows). And of course, anything alcoholic. Also some are very careful about what they put on their skin (your biggest organ and it absorbs into your system). Some forget, if you put poison on you, it may go to the baby (like insect repellent for example). So when you look at all the things people are avoiding (and the lists goes on and on) green tea doesn't seem so bad.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested: I read an article in prevention magazine that was written by a dr. about cancer fighting foods. Green tea is considered to be one of them. He recommended:
    :heart: drinking Japanese loose green teas (sencha, gyokura, or matcha) because they contain EGCG. Black and oolong are less effective.
    :heart: sip 2-3 cups a day within an hour of brewing
    :heart: steep 5-8 minutes to release its catechins
    :heart: It loses it beneficial poyphenols after an hour or 2
    :heart: I purchased these loose teas online, but they can be found in some supermarkets
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I work with a Vietnamese women who is in her 60's and looks like she is in her 40's. I told her she was beautiful and asked what her secret was and she laughed at me. I told her that I was serious and she said that she drinks about a gallon of green tea a day. I told her that I was going to start!:laugh: