Hummus

Options
What do you eat with your hummus? I buy the garlic kind and then lately I've been buying those really thin pretzels to eat with it. I can't picture eating my veggies with it though. It just doesn't seem like it would go well together.

What other flavors do you all like?

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Actually goes very nicely with small tomatoes, cucumber, and celery. Carrots are OK too. I like to alternate with Kashi crackers (the garlic kind are especially yummy) or pita chips.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love love hummus! I eat it several times a week. I will buy garlic or regular and I eat it with whole wheat pita bread, baked pita chips or veggies. It's actually really food on celery. I also love to make chicken & hummus wraps for lunch. Amazing!
  • jpsgrl
    jpsgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Jalepeno Hummus is delightful as is Roasted Red Pepper. I use Hummus for making wraps or pinwheels. You take a Extreme Wellness High Fiber Wheat Tortilla, 1TBLS of Hummus (your choice) and spread it over the wrap or tortilla and then put either a lowfat chicken salad, or lowfat tuna salad or whatever and some light Swiss (one slice divided up) and wrap it up. Absolutely delicious and around 225 calories depending on the ingredients you select for your Chicken/Tuna salad.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Actually goes very nicely with small tomatoes, cucumber, and celery. Carrots are OK too. I like to alternate with Kashi crackers (the garlic kind are especially yummy) or pita chips.

Oh yes, forgot about cucumbers...it's super good with them!
  • MsFat2Fit
    MsFat2Fit Posts: 59
    Options
    with carrots & cucumbers
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Almost anything. Carrots are a favorite and I like it with FlatOut Multigrain chips.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yellow and red peppers. Good for scooping.
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat carrot sticks with my hummus.. also, the Pretzel Crisps are really good with it. This week I have them in the Everything flavor with original hummus. Yum!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    GREEN PEPPER STRIPS! They are calling my name from the fridge as I type.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I like hummus on carrots, celery, cauliflower and pita. I think it would be good as a spread on wraps instead of mustard, mayo, etc. I just made jalapeno hummus for the first time last weekend. I was amazed at how easy it was. I will NEVER buy it again. Homemade is so much more delicious!
  • TierraS
    TierraS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My very favorite thing to eat with hummus is rice crackers!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Roasted Red Pepper in Tuna. Do it.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    Thanks! Those wrap ideas sound amazing. What kind of wraps do you buy? I've seen the Flat Out type. Never looked at the nutritional info though.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is my favorite. I prefer it over the garlic.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    With falafel or vegetable burgers. Yum. Especially love it with plain ready salted crisps\potato chips x
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    My very favorite thing to eat with hummus is rice crackers!

That sounds yummy!
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I like hummus on carrots, celery, cauliflower and pita. I think it would be good as a spread on wraps instead of mustard, mayo, etc. I just made jalapeno hummus for the first time last weekend. I was amazed at how easy it was. I will NEVER buy it again. Homemade is so much more delicious!

Now I could see it being really good on cauliflower. And yes it would be better than putting mayo on sandwiches. Good idea!
  • mbw2586
    mbw2586 Posts: 88
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-roasted-red-pepper-and-feta-hummus/detail.aspx

I never cared for hummus (store bought) until I ran across this and tried it. O.M.G. (and I'm not really a huge roasted red pepper fan, either.)

This is so good with anything. I eat it with pretzels, like you, but I also eat it with baby carrots, pita bread or chips (which is also better made at home I've found!) I made a batch last week and to satisfy a sweet/salty craving, I put some on an apple slice and it was surprisingly good!

I haven't tried too many other veggies yet, but I have a feeling hummus in general would pair well with more than expected.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I use these:
    http://www.californialavash.com/

It's 120 calories for the whole sheet!
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had a taste of Pret A manger's Hummus wrap- hummus with sliced cucumber, carrots, cranberry? in a wrap. Been prepping it at home for lunch or just to snack. Delicious :bigsmile: