A little afraid...

Options
I tried to think of a better subject heading, but that pretty much sums it up. I have had this fear for years that I will lose the weight, but my body shape won't change. And that I will look just as bad with the stretch marks and other issues caused by weight gain. And I think that fear kind of hinders motivation, if that makes sense. Just afraid I'll never look fit, toned. But I guess the other way to look at it is I'll never know until I lose the weight. Does anyone else understand this feeling? Andddddd has anyone lost 50+lbs and ended up looking fit and tone when it was all said and done?

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have this same fear! but I feel as though I haven't done enough damage to have it be irreversable(sp) I figure try it , whats the worst that can happen?? I can always put the weight back on :laugh: but I may like the new me and keep that...That is my goal being comfortable in my own skin:wink:
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I have done too much damage. I mean, realistically I doubt it. But it still nags at me.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am 46 down and have 37 more till I reach my goal. I do wonder the same. mostley regarding th estretch marks. But I mean even if I still have them they are a tattoo and constant reminder of where I have been, what I have been through, and eventually how far I have come. Add me and I'll keep you posted as I continue my journey.

3717049.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mis7734
    mis7734 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi , I totally understand your fear, trust me - you're not the only one! I've tried "multible" times to loose but something always takes me "off" the "i'm going to finally do it" faze. Those of us who have tried before need to realise that we will probably "never" look like the photo's we see of the models on TV & Magazines. So - I'm just taking it one day at a time & I'm determined to "not" stress when I have a bad diet day (or ony type of bad day) but to jump back into "trying" to make a difference in my shape AND my outlook on my body. Just remember - you are beautiful person, you will persevere if you keep up the good work!
  • trainorgirl
    Options
    I wonder if I have done too much damage. I mean, realistically I doubt it. But it still nags at me.

I think that you know that your being unrealistic and using this "fear" of yours as a crutch in-case you are unsuccessful with your goals!!! Take a chance.... get your mind out of that negative mind frame and revert your thought to positive success!!! otherwise your only as successful as your weakest thought!!!
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks fade....I've had a baby and he is 19 months old now. I used to worry about them a lot, but it doesn't bother me now because they are what they are and they will be there forever but they fade and look better with the weight loss. As far as 50 lbs weight loss and looking toned. It will happen. You just need to get there first. Exercise will tone you up. People who need to worry about things not changing are ones who lose over 150 lbs maybe. They will have excess skin. But your body does wonders and compensates for everything. Skin shrinks just like it stretches....there is hope. Once you see some results you should feel better about this all. Good luck, hope that helps.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds a few years ago, and I did not have a (physical) problem. I did not see myself as thin at the time though. As long as you lose at a healthy pace you should be fine. Remember to drink lots of water and keep your skin hydrated. It helps your skin to get firm as you go.
  • amandamay71
    amandamay71 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know what ou mean... I look at my 'tummy apron' with fadded stretch marks (from two sons) and wonder when l loose some weight how will it 'hang' then... But l want to feel healthier, less sluggish, more confident.. I know l will never have a 'flat' tummy and thats okay, however thank goodness for 'shapewear underpants'!!
    Just loose weight slowly and let your body adjust ... if the fear is extreme and controls you then l would recommend some counselling.. :-)
  • GinGinSweden
    GinGinSweden Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lost 190 lbs and yes I had to have surgery to fix it , unfortunately with age and long term over weight there is not a chance your skin will come back .
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Reframe your worry as a challenge. Take stock of what your body can do now. How difficult is it to run a mile? What is the heaviest weight you can lift ten times? How many from-your-knees push-ups can you do?

Then get going. Once or twice a month, make a note of how much easier that mile or weight is. Or how much easier those jeans fit. Whatever your motivation is!

See it as a challenge on how much you can improve your body and your health! It's not scary - it's motivating! :)
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I did lose 50lbs in the past and my abs looked better than they ever had!! I even have a tattoo on my stomach and I thought it was doomed..but nope! I understand the fear, and even though I have done before, I am still nervous! Just make sure you take it slow, weight train, and all of that.

Your health is the most important!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Stop being afraid.

If you have stretch marks now, they will continue to fade. I haven't gotten a single new stretch mark during weight loss.

To prevent really saggy skin, stay hydrated, exercise, and lose weight at the recommended rate. If you are dehydrated or lose too quickly, it won't allow your skin to keep up. If you exercise and build muscle, the muscle will fill in those areas and help with your skin as well. While doing the exercise, make sure to eat enough protein to give your body what it needs for the muscles. A lot of women do not.

I have lost about 70 of the 110 lbs I intend to lose. My arms are a little saggy. Working on that with more toning exercies. However, they look way better then they did. I can see my collar bones again. When I do my exercises, I see muscles in my arms and legs. Not just fat. The other night, I reached over to rub my shoulder while driving and realized I had muscles there now that I could feel too.

Besides, I don't recall ever seeing before and after pics posted here where the person ended up looking worse. Take a look at some of those for inspiration. Usually it brings out the features in a persons face more. Eating better helps with your hair, skin, etc. too. All around making you look better.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand your fear, because it's been my reality. I lost a lot of weight for my wedding many years ago, but I still wasn't happy with my body even at 119 lbs. I was 'skinny fat' and didn't look or feel toned. It's because I only concentrated on eating less (way less than I should have) and didn't do any type of working out or strength training. While it's taking me much longer to get where I want to be this time around, I can honestly say that I'll be happier with the outcome since I'm incorporating exercise.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I look at my stretch marks and wonder if they will look smaller when all of this is said and done. I think we invent excuses sometimes to stay in our comfort zone. This journey is about stepping out of that zone into a new lifestyle and essentially a new comfort zone. One that is healthy, fit and happy. Just take it one day at a time and hang in there with us! We are here for support, motivation and when you need the occasional kick in the BU**! :wink: