PLEASE HELP! I am obese. Should I be eating back exercise ca

Options
Emili03
Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
I still fall in the obese category at 5'8" and weight approx 225. This is the only website that I have ever seen that says to eat back your exercise calories. I really want to lose the weight once and for all this time. The first week I followed my recommended caloric intake and did not exercise and dropped 11 lbs. The second week I did the same and lost 3 lbs. The third week, I began doing Zumba each day and eating back my exercise calories and gained a lb. It can't be muscle gain yet....What should I do?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    No, you are right, it wouldn't be muscle yet. You can't gain muscle in a calorie deficit and would need to be strength training anyway, not just cardio.
    I think it depends on your settings. What did you put as your weekly goal to lose, your activity level and how many calories is MFP telling you to eat?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eating your exercise calories back will be more and more important as you get closer to your goal. My goal is 15 pounds, so I eat mine back always. Not sure what the "schedule" is on this.

Also, as you become more fit, you will burn fewer calories. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Perhaps your calorie burn is overstated (?)
  • Sunsama
    Sunsama Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you are going by the mfp calorie rn, don't. They always over estimate and you end up eating more than you've actually burned. Go by your hrm (and if you don't have one get one).

If you have been going by your hrm and still gained, it could be water weight or an excessive amount of sodium. Watch your sodium intake as it will make you retain more water, and thus weigh more.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i always ate my exercise cals. I thought it was helpful in the beginning because if I was really craving something, like PIzza, I could eat it but I knew exactly how far I had to run to earn it!

I lost 50 lbs and always ate my exercise cals (unless I wasn't hungry, of course).

I think it's a "to each their own" sort of thing, but if you are eating 1200 cals and working out like the ****ens, I would advise eating your exercise cals because going too low in your net cals can mess up your metabolism (I'm not a doctor, but I've heard this from enough sources I consider reliable that I trust it).
  • Katacheese
    Katacheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, you should eat. Running a big calorie deficit is not good. If I am hungry, I eat back some of my exercise calories. Like you, I am obese and am going for the long term/forever changes to change my life. I know when I upped my exercise I hit a plateau for a bit. Then after a few weeks I started losing. If I were you, I'd try alternative measurements of success, like measuring your waist etc and weigh yourself less often. Unless I go to the doctor and they put me on the scale I only weigh myself once a month. It helps cancel out little fluctuations.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i always ate my exercise cals. I thought it was helpful in the beginning because if I was really craving something, like PIzza, I could eat it but I knew exactly how far I had to run to earn it!

I lost 50 lbs and always ate my exercise cals (unless I wasn't hungry, of course).

I think it's a "to each their own" sort of thing, but if you are eating 1200 cals and working out like the ****ens, I would advise eating your exercise cals because going too low in your net cals can mess up your metabolism (I'm not a doctor, but I've heard this from enough sources I consider reliable that I trust it).

hahaha! They auto-edited my comment!!! hahaha!!!! I was saying a non-sexual phrase "like the d-i-c-k-e-n-s" ...oh MFP. You crack me up!
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 7 inches and I started at 200 pounds. I did exactly what MFP told me to do and lost 40 pounds before I got pregnant. I set my goals in the beginning to lose 1-1 1/2 pounds and lowered that as I got closer to my goal weight. I always ate back my exercise calories, but also religiously stayed within my calorie range. Oh - and those first couple weeks, I dropped a ton of weight before I started seeing weight loss anywhere from 0-2 pounds a week. Just don't get frustrated that it's taking too long - it's better to focus on knowing that it WILL work if you just keep at it!

Good Luck!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You are correct - it is not muscle gain. What it is is water retention. The variable you changed in week 3 was that you added exercise. By doing that, your muscles are retaining water. It can be alarming at first, but it WILL go away! Just keep doing what you're doing, because you are doing GREAT :-)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    No, you are right, it wouldn't be muscle yet. You can't gain muscle in a calorie deficit and would need to be strength training anyway, not just cardio.
    I think it depends on your settings. What did you put as your weekly goal to lose, your activity level and how many calories is MFP telling you to eat?

This is not true. Depending on where you were physically prior to starting, you could be gaining muscle. The reason I say this is because muscle gain is not only caused by lifting weights. ANY weight bearing exercise can increase muscle mass, especially when you are going from sedentary to active.

Zumba would be considered a weight bearing exercise in this case, and in order to support your body mass in the motions, your leg muscles would have to build up and become stronger. As far as I understand, you aren't in a deficit, as you were eating your BMR and exercise calories.

This is why measuring inches is super important.

ANY exercise that has any weight resistance can cause muscle gain. Your body mass is considered weight resistance. This is why doing things like lunges, squats, push ups, etc will develop muscles. Please don't believe that you have to be specifically strength training with weights in order to build muscle.

That being said, I agree that your muscles are probably swelling with water. Try waiting at least 24 hours of a rest day after your last workout before weighing, and get a tape measure.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to you - I eat some back but not all the time as the more I exercised the less hungry I became!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I put 2 lbs loss as my weekly goal and MFP is telling me to consume 2,000 roughly. (Before adding exercise it was 1269.) Yesterday, I consumed 1699. I think I may take the suggestion to get a heart rate monitor...just in case MFP and/or the Zumba calorie calculator is overestimating calories burned.
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose you don't need to eat them back, however when you have under 20 lbs to lose you should eat 60-70% back.

This is just what worked for me. I'm in my last bit of weight loss and if I don't eat most of my exercise cals back I gain.
    My father in law is eating most of his back after a 90 lbs weight loss, but he said he didn't at the beginning.

If your are fit and trying to increase muscle mass (getting bigger muscles) you have to eat more. Muscles require proteins to repair.

And if you are obese you can gain muscle mass at a calorie deficit (only exercise calories). However someone with a strong BMI cannot gain muscle mass at a deficit.

Really listen to your body. Are you really hungry or are you eating cause it tastes good. (this is my habit) If you are hungry eat those exercise calories. This journey is supposed to be positive not torture.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Eat some back, but I find their calorie counts very low, so you might want to verify calories and portion size before you enter it on this site.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Again, it is NOT muscle gain. It is your body reacting to exercise! And intense exercise at that, I'd recommend giving yourself at least one (if not two) rest days a week.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83600-why-you-gain-when-starting-a-new-workout

"...The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program"

The answer: Keep doing what you're doing. If in a few weeks you're still up, then it's time to look at your food intake.
  • srhula
    srhula Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten back my exercise calories even when I was on Weight Watchers(they call them activity points). This is just my opinion, not based on fact but I don't think you should eat them. Many times we overestimate the activity intensity and it might give us more calories back than it should. If you are in weight loss mode and not maintenance mode, I wouldn't eat them back.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I dont eat mine. My body has ENOUGH fat to burn if it needs energy & fuel. ;)
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you are going by the mfp calorie rn, don't. They always over estimate and you end up eating more than you've actually burned. Go by your hrm (and if you don't have one get one).

If you have been going by your hrm and still gained, it could be water weight or an excessive amount of sodium. Watch your sodium intake as it will make you retain more water, and thus weigh more.

^^^^ This.

Get a heart rate monitor. Watch out for sodium and water weight. Eat back most of your exercise calories (once you're sure that your calorie burn is accurate).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I started this journey (5'7", 260 lbs) and I've eaten every single calorie I can get my hands on for the last 2+ years! Don't force it though, if you're not super hungry then there's no need to eat just to reach your daily goal, but do make sure you net at least 1200 in order to make sure you're properly fueling your body.

Also, to be a bit more accurate on the calorie count if you don't have an HRM, you can edit the # that MFP gives you by whatever factor you choose (I'd recommend 50-75% for a more accurate #). So say you enter your Zumba as Dancing for 60 minutes and the box comes up saying 700, you can then click in that box and change the 700 to 525 (700 * .75). That way you can utilize the calculations that MFP gives you instead of having to do the math in your head all the time.

Lastly, I just wanted to add one more voice to the chorus about your weight going up due to exercise. It is definitely not muscle gain as that takes a lot of time and training, especially for us women. Since we're just talking about a week, you can safely assume it's water weight due to your muscles retaining water as part of their natural healing process. Keep eating right, being active and drink plenty of water, especially on your exercise days.

Keep up the good work!! You're doing great so far!

ETA: By the way, the reason MFP tells us to eat our exercise calories is because they set a higher calorie deficit. Many other calorie calculators give you a higher daily goal and assume you're going to be active. With MFP, you don't HAVE to be active to lose the weight so when you are active, they want you to make up for those calories burned in order for you not to have too drastic of a calorie deficit.