Oatmeal recipes, anyone?

Options

Replies

• flong1975
    flong1975 Posts: 56
    Options
    Instant plain oatmeal with:

fresh fruit and white chocolate chips - i do blue berries or strawberries for that berries and cream taste... I will add cinnamon with it too sometimes. I used to do craisins but they have to many calories for me.

Nutella and bananas is another fav.
  • Cocoleman
    Cocoleman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is almost like a dessert! Introduced to this version of Meuslix in Switzerland. Delicious.

Calories 150, Carbs 49, Fat 11, Protein 16

Quaker Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 1/2 cup
    Liberte Svelte Bio Organic No Fat Probiotic - Peach and Passion Fruit on the Bottom Greek Yogurt, 71 grams
    ( For one serving I use half small container. You can experiment with other flavors too)
    Del Monte - Diced Peaches No Sugar Added (In Water), 0.3 cup (Or substitute half a fresh peach or other fruit)
    Splenda - Sweetener - 3 Packets
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 0.25 cup (can use Almond milk too)
    All Natural Almond Accents - Original Oven Roasted Flavored Sliced Almonds, 2 Tablespoon

Stir together and eat (best if you let it sit 15 minutes or more in refrigerator prior to eating. Can even make night before)
  • Pandalicious
    Options
    Oats cooked in unsweetened vanilla soymilk mixed with a mashed banana and raisins. Or mixed with a mashed banana, peanut butter and some chocolate chips. So simple, so delicous! :)
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    I dont know any, but a ride to Subway (they have the best oatmeal raisans to me), but becarful 200 cals per cookie
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas - yum!

This is a great recipe that I make on Sunday nights and it lasts me nearly all week. It's flavorful and can be changed up with different berries and nuts. The site www.skinnytaste.com has great, health conscious recipes with nutritional breakdowns!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html

I love to change this recipe up with different fruits! My kids adore the strawberry/banana mix! (I also double it and put it in a 9x13 cake pan)
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup instant original oatmeal, 1 cup of water, 1/8 c. raisins. Microwave for 1.5-2 minutes. then add 2 tbsp of french vanilla creamer, 2 tbsp of milk, 1 tbsp of syrup. If I had some cinnamon, I would sprinkle some of that too. Kind of tastes like a cinnamon roll. Generally low sodium which is what I am trying to do right now. :)
  • my31169
    my31169 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am a big fan of Steel Cut Oats too! I add: vanilla or maple extract and a packet of truvia...it tastes great!
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    sherrisluzinit4good Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use minute oats... Quaker.. cook as directed for one person and before cooking I add 1 Tbsp dried cranberries, 1 tbsp chopped walnuts. After, I add Truvia to sweeten. Very good!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-cook-apple-pie-steel-cut-oats-in-a-slow-cooker/?doing_wp_cron=1327624598

I only made a couple small changes: I didn't have applesauce, so instead I increased the grated apple to 2 apples' worth. I dislike nutmeg so I added a little extra cinnamon, and the creamer I used was Coffeemate Cinnamon Vanilla creamer.

This is a really easy way to cook steel cut oats, requires no baby-sitting of the pot, and this recipe comes in at 210 per serving.
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    [/quote]

Chocolate pudding mix is also AMAZING with plain lowfat greek yogurt. It's like chocolate mousse, but somehow better!
    [/quote]

will def try the choco pudding in greek yogurt...i just cannot seem to like that stuff...and i want to really! (-:

thanks for the other oatmeal tips...i do love my oatmeal however, just plain or with a dash of cinn!
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump - I usually am not a fan but some of these recipes sound yummy! :smile:
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mix 1/4 cup dry oats with 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup light milk, leave for 15 minutes then cook very slowly say simmering, whilst stiring to avoid the milk burning on the bottom of the pan or in the microwave for 3 minutes in a very large glass bowl as it does bubble up quite a bit and serve, I have mine with maple syrup, cranberreis and raisins, yum yum yum

similar to this i make mine half water half milk. i also buy the rolled oats in the big jar. don't like the texture of ones in the packet. i add sugar, cinnamon and butter to mine and when i'm trying to eat more whole foods i just put some dates in the food processor and add them only.
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    mash one ripe banana at the bottom of a bowl, add a packet of instant oats (can be plain, as the banana will make it sweet) and a tbsp of natural peanut putter, add water, stir and microwave. You can add cinnamon too.
    It now has protein and good carbs and I think it is delicious!
    aaand easy!
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    you can also steep chai tea in the water before you make your oatmeal
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've tried oats so many times to try and like them because I know they're good for you.

I eat them everyday now, but there is only one way I like them. The wholegrain flavoured sachets (the sugars etc aren't that bad) I make them with water then add nuts and a couple of dark choc chips. It's the only way I can eat them lol.

I do want to try mixing in some flavoured protein powder one day though.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm your quick fix chick. No steel cut oats for me but I do use the publix brand quick cooking oats. Here are a few of my add ins.

prepare Oats according to directions (For my sweetner its always splenda)

1 Tsp of Unsweetened cocoa powder added to the water along with splenda to taste. When oats are done serve them topped with a tbsp of Peanut butter.

2 Tbsp Libbys pumpkin (canned) splenda to taste a splash of vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice

1 small banana cut into pieces 1 tbsp of chopped walnuts. splenda and a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon.

blueberries or strawberries and almond milk and splash of vanilla extract.

raisins ,fresh apple cut into small piece add cinnamon or a small spoon of brown sugar.

For the OMG I NEED sweets days try Peanut butter and banana or honey, Peanut butter and jam or preserves. or a serving of nutella on top. :)

Good luck.
  • sweety58
    sweety58 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are a lot of wonderful ideas here! I'm gonna have to try some of these!! Thanks, guys! :bigsmile:
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    that looks really good
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Bump, bump, bump, bumppppp....I do several different things with oatmeal. Bumping this because there are so many more great ideas in this thread!!!