South Beach Diet? Go or NO?

Options
this is the second time i have done the south beach diet, however when I was on south beach before I never kept track of my calories at all and lost 37 pounds over the course of 3-4 months. this go around I found MFP and I am having hard time with South beach ,keeping track and staying under my calorie goal. I was wondering if anyone else on here, is doing the South Beach diet, ( low-carb/highprotein) if so, do keep track of your food and calories on MFP or just keep the site for support and motiviation?

Or is, there anyone on here had a bad experience with South Beach, alot of friends and family do not support this diet , saying its not balanced enough. But my doctor swears by it, she said she wished all her patients would use this for the rest of there life.

So if, I am eating low-carb/ high protein, should I still be worried about my calorie intake???? Thats what it boils down to I guess. Any advice would be helpful!!!!!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing it forever no fad diet will work. You look like you have a couple children. I would educate myself on healthy eating and portion control. It would benefit you and your entire family. Make your health your hobby. It's more fun then scarpbooking. :drinker:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Phase 1 isn't a perfectly portioned diet, but it's just a detox and for short term. Phase 2 seems to be the perfect diet. You eat only low processed carbs (veggies, fruits, whole grains) and low fat meat and dairy.

With that said, I do think calories are important. However, they are a little less important when you are eating whole foods. That is to say, you are more likely to gain weight on 1800 calories of chips than 1800 calories of beans. I don't know why this is, but it seems to be true.

I don't have a problem staying under my calorie goal on SBD phase 1. When I'm only eating low starch veggies and lean meats, I can barely make it to my calorie goal. Phase 2, it's easier to reach your calorie goal, but still you shouldn't be going over too far. The grains/fruits are restricted.

I would try adding more vegetables. Make sure you are getting at least 5 servings a day (1 with breakfast, 2 with lunch, 2 with dinner). I eat more than that and stay full without hitting my calorie goal. I eat 1 oz. of nuts as a snack to help get up to my minimum calories.

I'm not trying to sound like you are over eating, but the first time I did SBD, I did not lose weight. I was eating lean meat like it was going out of style and ended up gaining. Now, I eat lean protein at each meal, but I fill up my days with veggies and have been losing steadily.

So, to bring this full circle, I agree with your doctor SBD is a healthy way to eat. I don't think you need to watch your calories as closely. However, if you are going way over each day, take a look at what you are eating. Is it mostly sandwich meat? Try switching to real chicken breasts. Is it too much meat/not enough veggies? Are you on phase 2 and over eating the carbs? Try cutting back on those.

Hope my ramblings help.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    this is the second time i have done the south beach diet, however when I was on south beach before I never kept track of my calories at all and lost 37 pounds over the course of 3-4 months. this go around I found MFP and I am having hard time with South beach ,keeping track and staying under my calorie goal. I was wondering if anyone else on here, is doing the South Beach diet, ( low-carb/highprotein) if so, do keep track of your food and calories on MFP or just keep the site for support and motiviation?

Or is, there anyone on here had a bad experience with South Beach, alot of friends and family do not support this diet , saying its not balanced enough. But my doctor swears by it, she said she wished all her patients would use this for the rest of there life.

So if, I am eating low-carb/ high protein, should I still be worried about my calorie intake???? Thats what it boils down to I guess. Any advice would be helpful!!!!!

Question is do you want to make this a lifestyle or simply a way to loose weight...it sounds like the time you did it before your body responded positively to a low carb / higher protien and fat type of diet - some people do...some people don't...I have switched my lifestyle to a low carb/high protien type diet with very little grains...(you are more than welcome to see my dairy as I have it open to see what i eat in a typical day)

You should be worried about calorie count...as ingesting way to many calories will eventually have a detrimental effect - but the cleaner you eat you SHOULD be able to fudge on the calories a bit because the foods fueling your body are in pretty much thier most basic nutrients so your body can use them more efficently...I have found now that I have been eating this way for a while I feel full longer so I wind up eating at about my calorie goal for MFP because I am not feeling hungry and want/need to eat...the days I go over I don't sweat it...
  • zumbamommaof4
    zumbamommaof4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was just getting ready to post the same thing. I did SB four years ago and lost 33lbs. This time around it's a little more difficult. Like you I did not count calories the first time and the weight just flew off me. This time it is just being stubborn. I have lost 12lbs so far. I am on the 9th day of the second phase. How far are you along? Feel free to friend request me I need some SB Diet friends :) It sounds like maybe we could keep each other on track and encourage one another. BTW, I am doing Zumba , walking and toning workouts for exercise . How about you??
  • melissacpc
    melissacpc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the 30 day shred right now, My husband and I have decided to make this a complete lifestyle change. We are in phase two, but I am not seeing the results like I want so I am thinking when I go grocery shopping again I am going to do the phase one again, see if i can't jump start my body. Sorry so late on replying my 3.5 month old has RSV and its been crazy!