Eggs

Options
Hi! I am trying to lower carbs and up protein. I know the 'experts' used to say no more than 3-4 eggs a week, but researching on the internet now, and it seems that the latest health advice around this is that you can eat as much as you like with no ill effects on cholesterol.

Are there any nutrition gurus out here that can advice please??

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs daily and have no problems. I too have read that they have no real effect on cholesterol.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs daily. Love em. No problems whatsoever.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I read the same thing. I don't eat them daily because I just don't like them enough. But I eat them whenever I want.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs a day most days of the week. MY numbers are better than they were when I ate eggs less frequently.

Dietary cholesterol intake doesn't affect your blood serum numbers as much as it was thought back in the 80's. Your own liver produces much of what you need on a daily basis.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If you want to watch fat content too i believe each egg contains about 5g of fat. Egg whites are all protein. Just a suggestion.. they are great to make omelets and scrambled eggs with.
  • caspr2
    caspr2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat eggs anytime I want to without worry. But I do stay away from fried eggs.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eat eggs any/all the time....no worries with numbers....
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3 eggs about 5 times a week. The yolk I will have about 3 times a week depending on what meals are planned throughout the day.

I've been having eggs nearly everyday for about a year now.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    as long as you are healthy and no problems with cholesterol levels there should be no problem i eat hard boiled eggs with yolk
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Eggs are back to being considered a good, healthy, "whole food". I like organic cause they are even more delicious IMO.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs a day most days of the week. MY numbers are better than they were when I ate eggs less frequently.

Dietary cholesterol intake doesn't affect your blood serum numbers as much as it was thought back in the 80's. Your own liver produces much of what you need on a daily basis.

Spot on.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Eggs all the time. Om nom nom nom.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost every day. Someone who already has high cholesterol may want to be careful, and just eat egg whites..but that researched may have changed and might not be accurate anymore..
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I can easily eat 3 a day 7 days a week. My cholesterol is over goal 95% of the time. My bloodwork is fine. If your cholesterol is ok, you shouldn't have an issue. If you're really concerned, discuss it with your doctor. :smile:
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am trying to lower carbs and up protein. I know the 'experts' used to say no more than 3-4 eggs a week, but researching on the internet now, and it seems that the latest health advice around this is that you can eat as much as you like with no ill effects on cholesterol.

Are there any nutrition gurus out here that can advice please??

The last I heard about egg's and eatting was that you could have at least 1 a day. I have also been told that if I am going to eat eggs with cholesterol issues that I should only eat them once a week. Egg's just like everything with in moderation I think is good for you. I do like egg beaters brand though but every now and again I will mix up a batch on the weekend and eat a hearty brunch with the family.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Nutrition major at your service.
    When you're reading nutrition facts you will come across "Cholesterol" and you will come across "Saturated Fat."
    Ironically, food companies try to trick you with "Cholesterol Free!" foods but what they don't tell you is...the cholesterol on the nutrition facts doesn't really affect the cholesterol you're concerned about.
    Saturated fat is what ultimately raises your LDL cholesterol and puts you at risk for a heart attack and that kind of stuff.
    In short, eggs are fine :)
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat egg whites only. Took me a while to get use to that, but it does fill me up and I do not eat anything else now until lunch. So, working for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you want to watch fat content too i believe each egg contains about 5g of fat. Egg whites are all protein. Just a suggestion.. they are great to make omelets and scrambled eggs with.

While lower in calories, egg whites are also significantly lower in nutrition than whole eggs. For this reason, I would not consider them "great". There is also no concern about fat and particulary saturated fat in individual without other mitigation factors like high triglycerides, obesiity and significant family history of high serum cholesterol. In the majority of the population there is little link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.

Go to a nutriional facts webstie and compare them side by side and see for yourself. There are some uninformed "experts" out there who still spout old conventional wisdom that has been disproven by more recent research. All indications are there is no reason to limit eggs in the diet. Below is a link from whfoods.com with helpful info.
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs just about every day. So do my parents, dad in his 70's & mom late 60's, and they are both incredibly healthy. They've been eating eggs (and often bacon) for breakfast daily for years!
  • shortymordy
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here already, so I'll just add what I do. I eat eggs just about every day, but for every whole egg I use, I use one egg white. Sometimes I scramble them alone, other times I'll add a little cheese, and sometimes I just cook them over medium (in a non-stick skillet with cooking spray).

I do the same when I make a veggie fritatta. If the recipe calls for 8 eggs, I use 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites. My diet-hating husband never knows the difference!