The Truth About Sugar

Options
I need some opinions on sugar. I set it up as a thing to "track" and MFP says I should only have 24 grams of sugar a day. Well, that's not very much when you eat one banana, or have any other kind of fruit. I'm working on 1,200 calories, I can do that no problem... I'm not eating sugary foods (i.e. cakes/etc.) WHEN I'm dieting (i.e. using this tool) so all my sugar is coming from foods like fruits, vegetables, etc. How bad is it really, and what does it do? I get the added/table sugar, and why that's bad, but how bad is it and what are the effects of sugars found naturally in foods??? PLEASE HELP! I get so hung up on this number, that I sometimes end up sabotaging the rest of my day.

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or have some other medical condition, you need not worry about sugars in your diet, especially those from fruits.

Worry instead about hitting your carb targets and eating a calorie deficit.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't think you should let that number bother you. In fact, if you know you aren't eating a lot of "bad" sugar, I'd consider not tracking sugar at all. I don't, though my automatic set-up does track carbs.

I don't think you should do anything that discourages you from eating fruit or other healthy foods.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    There is NOTHING WRONG with natural sugars like the ones from fruit. Don't worry about it. They are a quick way for you to gain energy, and are WONDERFUL.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I only pay attention to calories. I don't worry about other macros, because I know I choose good healthy food most of the time. My choices are lean meats, lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains.

The only number I strive to keep out of the red is calories.

And, it's working. Don't overthink. :flowerforyou:
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I don't get hung up on the sugar from whole foods (fruits and veggies) however when I'm looking to lose weight I do avoid specific fruit that are higher in sugar content (banana, pineapple, mango, etc).

Other than sugar I put in my morning coffee, all my sugar comes from whole foods.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or have some other medical condition, you need not worry about sugars in your diet, especially those from fruits.

Exactly this ^
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree! I added sugar tracking the other day... and easily went over the alloted sugar amount... although I had no bad sugars! The sugar in fruit is balanced out by the fiber in it. Nothing to worry about! I'm taking sugar off my tracking, because I know I'm (no longer) eating candy bars and sugary junk!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    PLEASE HELP! I get so hung up on this number, that I sometimes end up sabotaging the rest of my day.

Then stop tracking it.

I mean no offense... but that sounds like a rather unhealthy obsession. Stop tracking it. Stop worrying about it. Focus on a calorie deficit and eating as healthy as you can without being obsessed.

And as everyone else has said- unless you're diabetic or insulin resistant, you just don't need to worry about sugar so long as you're burning more calories than you eat.

That's not a license to eat cookies every day for breakfast, but there are more important things to worry about.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on eating the right amount of good fats, protein, fiber, and sodium, since those are the areas I have problems while staying in my calorie range. I ignore the sugar as I usually go over just from the fruit I eat as well. When I tried cutting back sugars to get in their range, I don't feel like I have enough energy (I don't drink caffiene either) especially when I cut it from my breakfest.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I track it just so I can see what happens when eat or drink something I shouldn't, but I LOVE fruit so I don't pay too much attention to it! especially when 1 medium apple has 16g in it... it's impossible to stay within MFP's goal AND eat lots of fruits and veggies.. i agree with comments above about watching the carb intake and most of all your calories.. good luck to you and don't stress :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't even worry about the sugars number... because I can go over just eating my daily servings of fruit... I took it off my tracker because of this...
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    As PPs have said, no need to worry about sugar unless you have a medical condition that requires you restrict it. Of course, sugars in fruit are better than "empty" sugars, since fruit also contains essential nutrients and fiber.
  • icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that you posted this because I was saying the same thing. I am ALWAYS over on my sugar even with watching what I eat now. Okay...exhaling now......
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Sublog says it best.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    I just changed the daily total so I can see when I go over a larger amount... 100g. That way I know I was eating sugar somewhere other than from fruit and dairy...
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Carbs = Sugar therefore if you're eating carbs you're also eating sugar once carbs enter the blood stream they're broken down into glucose (sugar) therefore sugar intake is meaningless so long as you have no preexisting conditions that would prevent you from consuming it. i.e. Diabetes
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are ok. It's the added sugar that you should aorry about. I use absolutley no sugar in my diet.
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    if you want to get into fitness model/body building shape you would really need to keep track of this. i read A LOT and if you're looking to drop below about 17% body fat then sugar (even from fruit) is a BIG NO NO! but if you're just dropping some weight and getting healthy it's something to keep an eye on, but not obsess over. i try to stay under 75 grams...and even that is really difficutl!
  • mama_beth
    mama_beth Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to sugars....especially ones that occur naturally in my food. I have lost 17 lbs in a little over 2 months and I guarantee you that I go over my sugar EVERYDAY! I'm more concerned with going over on my carbs than anything else.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I religiously track my sugar. I am under a lot more often than over these days. If I do go over, I see what caused me to go over (Fruits and Veggies or was it cakes, etc). That being said I eat a TON of Veggies and a few fruits here and there. Just because the sugar in fruits is all natural that doesn't mean it is a brilliant idea to go overboard on them either. Go for lower sugar fruits or veggies to get your 5 a day.