Advice for running first 5k

Options
I'm signed up to run my first 5k this weekend (St. Patrick's Day!) and I'm looking for any valuable advice...

Any pre-race rituals that work for you?
Good foods to eat the day before?
Best ways to hydrate before the race? (It's an 8:30am race)
Motivation to make it to the finish line?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I avoid fiber the 2 days before. This is generally a little more key on long races but, even on a 5K, you don't want any "bear attacks".

I lay out everything the night before, including putting my bib on my shirt. It makes the morning easier.

Have fun! You'll get the racing bug, it's a blast.
  • mickij3
    mickij3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i did my first 5k last year and had a blast! dont think about it too much! run as much as you can, then if you need to jog, or walk. its YOUR race so take it at your own pace. I surprised myself and ran the entire way! did it in 35mins and was so proud of myself. just take it one step at a time literaaly and you will do great! good luck! :)
  • ScotinSeattle
    ScotinSeattle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it :D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making that commitment.

A 5K is a short enough race that hydration is not a big issue, especially with an early morning race while the weather is still cool. Drink your normal amount of water the day before and drink normally in the morning. Don't chug a bottle of water just before the race - all that water sloshing around in your stomach can be uncomfortable. there may be 1 or two water stations, if you feel thirsty grab a cup and take a sip.

As far as food goes again eat normally, no need to carb load or anything like that (avoid the temptation to eat bean burritos). I don't like to eat less than 2 hrs before running - stick with foods your body is familiar with (my race day breakfast is pretty much always peanut butter on whole wheat toast, a yogurt and banana & of course, my coffee)

If you have starting corrals pick the correct one for your projected finishing time and pace yourself, there's nothing like blowing your brains out by starting too fast (I've done it.....). If the race has pace bunnies latch on to yours and stay with him or her (usually they're very experienced runners who are able to pace quite accurately).

If the route has been published and you have an opportunity to run it in advance of the race do it.

Pre-race rituals? I don't really have any other than getting there early enough to warm up properly.

As far as motivation goes - that's completely from within you. When I'm in a race I'm not competing with the other runners, I'm competing with myself.

Have fun!
  • Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years and found that if I drink coffee (depending on how long I run) before hand I don't seem to hit the wall.

I ran 6 k this morning in 33 minutes and drank 6oz coffee/water with 2 egg whites. It works for me. For longer races I ditch the coffee and grab carbs for breakfast. I won't eat anything after 7:30 so I don't feel overly full the next day. I also eat very clean days before big running days. Also a good nights sleep!!

Your motivation will that It will be your first 5 k!! Good Luck!
  • lirparolyat1
    Options
    Laying out everything the night before is great advice. I have certain sports bras or shorts I like to wear on race days, so I always make sure they are cleaned and ready to go the day before. Either getting your bib on your shirt or your timing chip on your shoe before leaving the house is always good. Don't want to forget those. If you train with music, it might be good to be sure to bring that iPod along for your first race. Have your play list ready to go. Don't dress too warmly (not sure of the climate where you are running). You will warm up rather quickly. Layers are good if you don't mind tying a long sleeve shirt around your waist while running. I am a coffee drinker and always have my morning coffee before a race. I just don't feel the same without it. Everyone is different, so do what you feel is right for you.

Best of luck with your race! I am sure you will have a blast!