Am I eating too many carbs?

Options
I'm a very poor college student and I tend to eat a lot of cereal and a lot of sandwiches. Example: The past week I've had either a cucumber and tomato sandwich or a turkey sandwich with green bell peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. I alternate which one everyday. Usually cereal for breakfast and depending on what I feel like for dinner, either fruits, a sandwich or cereal.

I rarely go over my calorie limit or even reach the calorie goal but I can't help but feeling like I'm eating too many carbs! I go jogging for 35 mins 3-5 times a week. What do you think?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as you are staying within your calorie goal I think it's ok. If you are going over on your carbs, You could get lower calorie bread or low carb tortilla's for your sandwiches if you are really concerned about it. Try not to eat cereal with a lot of sugar.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    it's hard to say without knowing more details. Oatmeal or Captain Crunch?

for what it's worth, if you are short on cash, box cereal is one of the more expensive things you can eat, considering the ingredients. There are far cheaper carbs out there, basically anything you can buy by the pound at the whole foods store or even many supermarkets.

Hard boiled eggs are a great choice for budget-strapped dieters.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm a very poor college student and I tend to eat a lot of cereal and a lot of sandwiches. Example: The past week I've had either a cucumber and tomato sandwich or a turkey sandwich with green bell peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. I alternate which one everyday. Usually cereal for breakfast and depending on what I feel like for dinner, either fruits, a sandwich or cereal.

I rarely go over my calorie limit or even reach the calorie goal but I can't help but feeling like I'm eating too many carbs! I go jogging for 35 mins 3-5 times a week. What do you think?

If you don't have any insulin related conditions then you shouldn't have to worry too much about establishing a carb ceiling assuming you're staying in a calorie deficit.

Now having said that, protein will play a key role in body composition as you lose weight, and dietary fat is also very helpful/necessary -- as such, it would be in your best interest to (I'm generalizing here) consume a greater portion of protein and fats for this reason.

It's not that carbs are inherently bad, it's that fat and protein are great.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Its only too many if it leads to overeating.
  • dietpop
    dietpop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The cereal that got me through college is Grapenuts. It tasted just OK so I didn't overeat, it's hard to chew, and it's filling! :)

Carrots are great for you and cheap!
  • jedixerren22
    Options
    it's hard to say without knowing more details. Oatmeal or Captain Crunch?

for what it's worth, if you are short on cash, box cereal is one of the more expensive things you can eat, considering the ingredients. There are far cheaper carbs out there, basically anything you can buy by the pound at the whole foods store or even many supermarkets.

Hard boiled eggs are a great choice for budget-strapped dieters.

Crispix, Captain Crunch, Honey bunches of oats, and plain cheerios is what I alternate between.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Crispix, Captain Crunch, Honey bunches of oats, and plain cheerios is what I alternate between.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are eating too many carbs. THose are pricey cereals too. You can do much better nutritionally for equal or less money.