how soon can i use weights after birth

Options
just had a baby 9 weeks ago and wanted to know if anyone has any idea how soon i can start using weights again. ive had my postnatal check up at 6 weeks and all is fine and started exercising using cross ttrainer from 7 weeks....but want to also start using weights as i know a combination of cardio and weights helps with weight loss.....
thanx for advise in advance.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    This is definitely a question to run by your physician, but if it was a natural birth (not a C-Section), and you had NO complications of ANY kind, and you're having NO issues with the exercise you've started, I would think it would be reasonable to start some weight training.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I don't think babies should lift weights, they lack the coordination for proper form, and most of the babies I've met can't even stand up yet.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I don't think babies should lift weight...

beat me to it
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    They usually clear you for everything at 6 weeks so you should be good to go.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I would agree....I had a baby almost 7 weeks ago, and had my 6 week appointment last friday and was cleared to go for everything. So, you should be good to go :)
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you were cleared at your 6wk checkup, you can do everything you could before you got preggo/had the baby. Don't go all heavy into it at first, because it's probably been awhile since you've done it and you don't want any injuries. Your body will tell you what it wants though. Listen to it :)
  • NiekaM
    NiekaM Posts: 5
    Options
    "Mom arms" are the BEST. Wait a little while and see how much lifting you will be doing as a mom. Car seats, strollers, diaper bags, oh and the baby!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I thought somehow an infant had learned to type and was wanting to lose some baby fat..I was about to be amazed.

6 weeks is usual rule of thumb
    Abs take a lot longer..
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It will depend if you had a c-section or vaginally delivery and if you had significant tears...you should ask you physician to be certain. You do NOT want to have a surgical complication or pop sutures you thought were healed.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I don't think babies should lift weight...

beat me to it

That's why I was here too.

I remember when I got my circumcision. It hurt so much I couldn't walk for a year.

I would also remind you that breastfeeding burns 500-600 calories per day and is great for the kids. It's a personal decision that won't lead to me judging, but something to think about.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    definitely not the right place to ask, call your doctor
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started P90X when my son was 6 weeks old. I had no problems.

But that's my personal experience. I felt recovered and ready to go at that point, and I experienced no complications other than being pretty darn wiped out at first!

I'm NOT saying that what I did would work for everyone, please listen to your body and your doctor's advice :)