losing weight to conceive with PCOS

Options
I am currently 18stone 2lbs and my partner and hard trying for our first baby.
I wondered if anyone else on mfp has been through it, and wondered how much weight it took to get pregnant!
Any stories would be wonderful, i have friends that have it but are not ttc and are not fat lol

Replies

• RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In 2004 i lost 3 stone (taking me from just over 15 stone to about 12stone 3lbs) approx 1/5th of my weight in order to try and get pregnant, i had been put on the IVF list and told i had to be a certain BMI in order to get the treatment. I got pregnant naturally within a couple of months of reaching the new weight.

If it helps i truely believe the weightloss is what got me pregnant as i had already been through over a year of fertility treatment, ovarian drilling,clomid, injections and IUI. Good luck
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and had no cycle until birth control I went off it at 213lb got pregnant within 3 months, (I just got lucky) my cycle was already starting to go away so I'm sure if it had not happened so fast I would have gone though a lot more, baby number two came at 223lbs. I have girlfriends who were in their 240's but some of them had to lose weight to conceive and the heaviest to succeed was 245. I'm supposing how tall you are depends some on how much you might need to lose. When my doctor told me about it helping women with PCOS she recommended 20lbs.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and concieved my son at age 25 and at 198 lbs. I'm 5'5''. We tried again last year for a whole year at age 27, 198lbs but no luck this time. I think with PCOS woman have their age and weight working against them more than a woman without PCOS or related reproductive issues.

edited to say it took us only 1 month to get pregnant with my son after I got off of Birth control. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I was so newly off of it that my PCOS didn't have time to flare up too badly before concieving. I think we just happened to time it really well.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, iv driven myself crazy reading stories about people with pcos and in the end the majority do manage to conceive. Its just tough to face what's potentially ahead of me when all i want to be is a mum! I guess it depends on the individual, Im 5'5 and my sw was 270lbs, Im now 255 but aim to be 200 by Christmas (providing i don't get pregnant) so hopefully ill get there. I suppose we have to have a little faith that it will happen-!:-)
  • Jo_jo_85
    Jo_jo_85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hey i have pcos, 6 months ago i weighed 25stone and hadnt had a period for years, ive lost 5 stone so far and my periods have come back. So im hopeful that a baby might come one day. Got a lot more weight to shift yet tho.
    *baby dust*
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS after trying for a second child for a few years and no baby as yet, even though I've lost nearly 6 stone (84 lbs) since I had my son 5 years ago. It can happen anytime its really just luck. Its great that your losing weight and getting fit, and it will make you feel fabulous and more likely to conceive too which is great. There are some great PCOS groups on here.

Also, when I was diagnosed I was advised to switch to a Low Gi diet which I have and the weight is dropping off again after a bit of a plateau, and there are some great groups on here for Low Gi too.

Good luck, just keep trying!
  • kmcnevin0922
    Options
    Well Hello everyone!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was just 16. I didn't think it was a big deal. I was 26 when I was disagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. Of course I was young and dumb and didn't really know the magnitude of this disease, let alone the PCOS and how it would affect me and my future. I was married young and the man that I married didn't want children after 6 years of marriage. We divorced and I have since married the love of my life. Long story short... I am older, and I am a step mom and as much as I love that little boy with all that I am, my heart aches everytime I see a new born baby or a baby period. My biological clock is ticking so loudly that it wakes me up on most days. In February, my new husband took me on our first vacation together, when I came home, i looked at pictures of myself and I was disgusted. On our trip, we discussed trying for a baby in the fall of 2013. I am a planner.. so I started reading on the syndrome, talked briefly with my dr and then started my diet. I started out at 202 on Feb 19th and now it is May 21st and I weigh 174. I have lost 28lbs. I am not sure how many inches, but my goal is between 35&40. I would like to be able to be off birth control am scared too death of infertility. This is something I have wanted for years and I am so scared that because of PCOS and because of diabetes and all the little increases in male testosterone with PCOS that I will be fighting a losing battle when it comes to pregnancy. I want to be a mom more than anything in this world. Now I am 32, and 5 months before my 33rd birthday! Has anybody been through this? Any advice would be great!
  • nkb617
    nkb617 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hi ladies,

i originally weighed around 245, but i went down to 180ish around 5 years ago. i have PCOS and have been TTC for about 2 years. i went to a doctor's appt yesterday, and she told me that since i'm PCOS, that she wants me to continue to take 2grams Met and do the Provera/Clomid cycle, which I did this month, but did not ovulate. I asked her if she thought that I should lose weight, and she said 10% couldn't hurt, although she didn't think that was an issue. so i decided to lose 18 lbs. to hopefully help me get into the healthy bmi range (150lbs), but i was totally discouraged yesterday because nothing is a guarantee! but i will definitely keep you updated as i try again this upcoming cycle.