CO2 Makes Us Fat???

Options
PZlady
PZlady Posts: 137 Member
Isn't it nice to think that it's not the portions, or carbs, or lack of exercise, or desserts, or fries, or high fructose corn syrup that have made us fat? Now "they" think it's the CO2 in the air. Read it for what it's worth - an interesting study (the link is below).

http://sciencenordic.com/new-theory-co2-makes-you-fat

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    clearly the answer is to stop breathing. my understanding is that you get that awesome skeletal look in just a few short months.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    But wait, there's more:

piratesarecool4.gif
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Everything makes us fat, and everything causes cancer. We're screwed.
  • Deeranged1
    Deeranged1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Isn't it nice to think that it's not the portions, or carbs, or lack of exercise, or desserts, or fries, or high fructose corn syrup that have made us fat? Now "they" think it's the CO2 in the air. Read it for what it's worth - an interesting study (the link is below).

http://sciencenordic.com/new-theory-co2-makes-you-fat

Fat is caused by too much food, not enough exercise. It made me fat, and everyone else as well. I hate how we waste funding on studies like this, it's obvious what the problem is lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and moving too little is what makes us fat.

I mean, I'm not a personal trainer or a doctor or a nutritionist or anything, but, I'm pretty sure that's right.

Taco Cabana made me fat.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Oh boooooy
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I read a study today that said if you stop eating red meat you will reduce your chance of death by 18%.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    lulz...

umm...no.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's only a hypothesis and also it's just saying we've all become lazy munters that need to get off our backsides and move more and that we are changing but since we are we should use that information accordingly and counteract it.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Interesting hypothesis. Doesn't change the prescription of how to deal with obesity, whatever is causing the current epidemic.
    Exercise and vegetables can limit the ‘CO2 effect’

But Hersoug says the hypothesis gives us no excuse for dropping diets and exercise – on the contrary.

“We know already that a sedentary lifestyle is a risk factor for many diseases,” he says. “According to our theory, this may be because of the higher acidity in the blood arising from a sedentary lifestyle indoors in a CO2 concentration that is higher than it is outdoors.”

On the other hand, he says, “If you’re out running, you get your blood circulating and you can pump much of the CO2 out of your body, so our hypothesis is really further evidence that exercise is healthy. And exercise may be even more necessary in the future, when we can expect even higher CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere.”

Hersoug adds that fruit and vegetables also reduce the blood’s pH value, so the CO2 theory is also an argument for eating more healthily.
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    clearly the answer is to stop breathing. my understanding is that you get that awesome skeletal look in just a few short months.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I read a study today that said if you stop eating red meat you will reduce your chance of death by 18%.

I actually saw that on the new last night... lol.
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Isn't everyone's chance of death 100%?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    But Hersoug says the hypothesis gives us no excuse for dropping diets and exercise – on the contrary.

“We know already that a sedentary lifestyle is a risk factor for many diseases,” he says. “According to our theory, this may be because of the higher acidity in the blood arising from a sedentary lifestyle indoors in a CO2 concentration that is higher than it is outdoors.”

On the other hand, he says, “If you’re out running, you get your blood circulating and you can pump much of the CO2 out of your body, so our hypothesis is really further evidence that exercise is healthy. And exercise may be even more necessary in the future, when we can expect even higher CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere.”

Hersoug adds that fruit and vegetables also reduce the blood’s pH value, so the CO2 theory is also an argument for eating more healthily.

UHH....so basically, it still comes down to eat right and exercise?? Wow....that was groundbreaking and earth shattering. LOL!
    Good job on those 2 guys for getting someone to pay them for this......
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    what if you switch to clean, organic CO2?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

You can't reduce your chance of death...Death is a CERTAIN, how and when is a different matter... SOOOooooo I hope this was you "quoting" utter nonsense! Please! Or I don't know what MFP has come to!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I thought this part of it was the most valuable:

"Exercise and vegetables can limit the ‘CO2 effect’

Hersoug adds that fruit and vegetables also reduce the blood’s pH value, so the CO2 theory is also an argument for eating more healthily."

I do believe environment can play a role in our health, but that doesn't mean we can't limit the effect it has on us. Thanks for sharing!
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    But wait, there's more:

piratesarecool4.gif

This. hit the nail on the head
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

It also reduces the amount of awesomeness in your life by 80%. I'll give up the 18% chance of being immortal for that! After all, who wants to be immortal if you can't eat red meat anymore?