Small Plate Theory

Options
I tried something different today. I had my lunch: grilled salmon & veggies on a smaller plate. Anyone else heard of this theory or is it a rumor? I don't know if I feel like I had more becuase the portion sizes looked larger because they are on a smaller plate or if I have become accustomed to smaller serving sizes. Any thoughts MFPer's? Have a great Tuesday!

Replies

• mags080611
    mags080611 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can say that its true!! Using a smaller plate plays a mind game with your brain and makes you think your eating more than you actually are. Ive done the same thing and I end up cutting my foods in half that way
  • sandradaisy
    Options
    I do it every night with dinner and yes its prob all in our minds, but after a while I am sure that we are actually getting used to eating smaller portions. I love the smaller plate
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I've done it, and it's been really helpful for me. It's an easy way to remind yourself what portion sizes actually look like. It's so easy to go overboard when you pile food on a big dinner plate.
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I have done this and it does work! It's a mind trick but hey, whatever works!!!
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i have done this for a year and a half and still do it and LOVE it :) good luck
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    def true. if i have a huge portion then id just keep eating! ive also heard of the small fork theory! ....http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/lord_sugar_reveals_diet_secrets_in_new_book
  • SgtSwampFox
    Options
    Smaller plates... check. Not going back for 2nd's and 3rd's... not so much. :-)
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    whole family does this everyday. We always use the salad plate for dinner. Added benefit - can fit more in the dishwasher :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i just use a food scale to weigh everything. then i know exactly what i am eating.
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    Dr. Oz has some of the research citations on this in his book - You: On a Diet. I switched and it really does make a difference. The same amount of food on a small plate (me) and a large plate (hubby) feels very different. My husband has switched now too.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YES!@! THIS WORKS!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you're counting cals and measuring to begin with, I don't really find a reason to use a small plate other than, I guess, to give yourself the illusion that you're eating more if you're just starting out.

When you're used to eating larger portions, your stomach is physically stretched. After about a week of eating smaller portions, your stomach literally shrinks. That's why you're usually so hungry your first week of dieting, and even why you're STARVING the morning after Thanksgiving. After your stomach goes back down to its natural size though, smaller portions is what satisfies you, and the size of your plate becomes a moot point.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate every night for dinner (and no seconds) or your kinda defeating the point.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use it too. Amazingly I am usually full after I eat what's on my plate. Plus, it's nice to see a full plate rather than a huge one with a single chicken breast and single cup of broccoli on it; the smaller portions always look so lonely on the big plates and my mom always served a slice of buttered bread with dinner so I have to fight the urge to fill up the plate.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to fit my 8oz steak on a small plate.

The only time I wake up starving is when I binge on carbs at night. It creates a blood sugar crash while I sleep and I wake up immediately wanting carbs.

I'm usually not hungry until around 11am or later. And I prefer just a couple of nice large meals.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    This made a HUGE difference for cereal consumption when we were starting out. We got ice cream/cereal bowls which are much smaller than the 'soup' bowls that dinner sets come with.

I laugh every time I see cereal commercials because what they show on TV is probably 2-3 servings worth of cereal and a ton of milk.

We pretty much weigh portions nowadays though, so the plate size doesn't matter as much.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I trick my brain at every opportunity. I especially use the smaller plate method, and the mini versions of chocolates and cookies. My brain is so gullible.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It does work.... Also apparently using blue plates/bowls also makes your mind think you are eating more than you are.