new to being vegetarian and need some help

Options
A little about me I was looking for a healthier lifestyle and way to lose weight. So I decided to become a vegetarian, but the only meat I eat is seafood. I'm having the issue with getting enough calories becasue I decided to cut out alot of things such as ; rice (white mainly) but I don' really do brown either, along with a few other things.. I cut out lot of processed food as well everyone knows they should when trying to lose weight. So my question is does anyone know any easy and good vegetarian recipes. Also any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    One of the best websites that I found with lots of recipes is http://www.vegetariantimes.com/
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I would also suggest Vegetarian Times. Wonderful site and magazine, get a subscription!

Sounds like you need to expand your diet. Instead of rice, try: Quinoa and Couscous - both awesome grains with lots of protein. Good side dishes.
  • gmstep
    gmstep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been a pescatarian (vegetarian that eats seafood) for about 4 or 5 years. I didn't eat alot of red meat to begin with, and I read the book "Eat to Live" and decided to cut out meat and poultry entirely. At first, I lost weight without exercising or changing anything else with my diet choices. Unfortunately, that was short-lived and I gained weight back and more. I love pasta and other carbs, so I was eating alot of those. I recently went to my doctor for an annual physical and told him that I was a pescatarian and that I joined Weight Watchers. He said that a vegetarian diet is good and that you get enough protein from it. I know that was always my challenge - thinking that I had enough protein. I've been using MFP for almost 40 days now, and I like that it tracks protein for me. I think that it's great that you're cutting out white rice and processed foods (it's really hard- but good for you). I cook for my family and what I would do (before being diligent about dieting) is I'd eat whatever they did, except for the meat part and I'd add in some kind of soy protein or other protein for myself. I made some vegetarian recipes, but just improvised for the most part. I just recently got a subscription to Vegetarian Times (?) magazine, and I have made some of the recipes in it (and they have been good). They might have a website with recipes on it that you could look at. Do you like beans? I never used to, but I really like them now. Also, it helps that you are eating seafood. When you go out to eat, there are more food choices if you do. I have a good friend who is a strict vegetarian and she basically has to eat sides as her meal. Good luck!!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 13 years and recently adopted a vegan lifestyle about 8 months ago. I find that chickpeas are a great way to fill up plus, you can add them to pretty much anything . I see someone else recommended beans, another very tasty & healthy choice. Alicia Silverstone has a book out called "The Kind Diet", it's a vegan diet and also very 'clean' diet. She has lots of great recipes in there.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michelecorwin
    michelecorwin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I was inspired to become vegan for awhile after reading the book "Skinny B#$%@ Anyhow...I highly recommend that book because it's truly educational but EXTREMELY entertaining and witty. The only thing you'll have to get past is the language. Also, I'd recommend that you do a Google search on The China Study" as well as watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" .....highly informative and fascinating. Believe me....if you ever struggle with being vegan or vegetarian... these will get you back in the right mindset. Anyhow, good luck!
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian (vegetarians dont eat meat or fish or poultry) I find meat substitutes , quinoa, bulgar wheat, cous cous etc are all brilliant!
  • Maxingtonbear
    Maxingtonbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've been vegetarian for 20 years (no red meat, poultry or seafood). Even after all of this time, I have a hard time eating "right" & tend to eat a lot of meat substitutes (Morningstar Farms brand being a HUGE one), which are generally super processed & high in sodium. It really is a continuous learning process.
    I highly recommend just Googling simple vegetarian recipes or checking out vegetarian blogs. Just remember not to get frustrated- it really is a lot to take in! Best of luck to you!