Toning shoes (Avia, Nike, etc)?

Options
2»

Replies

• HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Those shoes aren't actually made for running in.. they are meant for walking. That said, those shoes throw off your body's natural centre of gravity and make you roll your foot (and body) in a different way than it naturally wants to go - your body trying to right that is the "workout". They don't tone anything.

(Full disclosure: My significant other works for New Balance, who also sold a version.)

Sckechers has a running version as does Reebox.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have heard from orthopedic surgeons that they are really bad for your knees. I got rid of the Reebok ones I had.

We have at least 1 customer a week that comes in because a doctor had recommended they get a pair.
  • lclark1970
    lclark1970 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I could definitely feel the muscles worked in the back of my thighs and rear. I bought New Balance.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    They work by deliberately destabilizing your natural gait, which IMO means you are just asking for injuries.
    Plus, there is zero evidence that they work. I'd save your money.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I happened to find the FILA shape ups on sale at KOHL'S for $39.99 one afternoon and i bought them...
    besides making me taller they have NOT made my legs look anything like the woman in the commercial... :laugh: :laugh:
    ahhhh, such is life... BUT I DO LIKE BEING TALLER than my usual 5'2.....
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    These shoes had the greatest commericals on this planet
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have the skechers ones, not because I ever thought they would tone anything, but because they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I can walk all day in them and have no problems. It is like wearing any other shoe that is shaped differently than your normal ones - you will feel it in your legs and sometimes your butt, but only because it is different. It isn't anything magical.

I feel the same way about my Fitflops - they are the most comfortable flip flop I've ever walked in. Again, not convinced about the "toning up" thing, but they do seem to be a little bit like a wobble board when you walk.
  • jackvf1
    jackvf1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    had the Sketcher Shape-ups. Absolute waste of $$. i got better results bumping up my cardio intensity or lengthening my runs. There's no magic bullet, despite these companies attempting to offer one.
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    Just because they say they are made for running doesn't mean they are a running shoe. They throw off your natural balance and gait, that's bad enough to be doing while walking, certainly not while running when people can have poor form already.

Want a toned *kitten*? Do some lunges.