bike trainer accessories?

Options
Krohnie
Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
I posted before but didn't get any replies, any body out there have a bike trainer? Any suggestions for accessories that are a "must" have to go along with it? My trainer a kinetic fluid trainer will be here in a few days and I'm just wondering if there are anyother things you guys really like with yours. i have a hybrid trek and I'll have the trainer and a riser for the front tire. Anything else? A compter to measure distance/speed/cadance? any other ideas or things you love to have while you're on the trainer? Thanks

Replies

• Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the same trainer with a riser. The only accessory I have is a Cateye bike "computer". It is just a simple little device that shows cadence, distance, speed, etc. It is nothing fancy but it helps with my workouts - specifically cadence.

I think this is the one I have... mine is older, someone gave it to me becuase they were not using it anymore.
    http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-RD200/

My next purchase is going to be a cadence sensor to go along with my Garmin 305... I load all of my data into Training Peaks for mileage, but right now I have nothing for cadence to load. I am a data geek and like to see all that stuff!

Other than that - I just make sure I have plenty of wate, a towel and music cranked up with a good tempo. I usually have the TV on, just so I can have something to look at, but the workouts are pretty hard and I have to concentrate on my cadence so I usually do not really watch the TV.

Have fun!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A computer that does cadence and speed from the rear wheel is helpful.
    Depending on your flooring, an excercise mat (there are trainer mats) for under everything to save your flooring
    A bike "thong". Your sweat will eat the paint eventually. better safe than sorry.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you're not in it for true bike training, consider an attachment that will allow you to work on a laptop while you bike. I use a FitDesk, http://fitdesk.net/.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 405cx with the bike cadence unit and a foot pot for running. I love being able to track distance and calories burned....so helpful for this site and weight loss.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 405cx with the bike cadence unit and a foot pot for running. I love being able to track distance and calories burned....so helpful for this site and weight loss.

I was looking at that. I have the 405cs as well. do I need both the cadence unit and the foot pod to measure distance and speed while on the bike trainer?
  • counterfit
    Options
    You don't need either for distance and speed, but the cadence unit can give you info regarding your effort vs. speed. The foot pod is just for running.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am using my iPhone as the base unit, but purchased the Bike pack and HRM from Wahoo. I am loving the versatility of it.
    http://www.wahoofitness.com/subpages/prodlist.asp?dept=173
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The Sufferfest videos seem to be a good investment as well :) Either that or DVR Vuelta, TDF, other bike races for inspiration to pedal harder :) I pretty much have everything everyone else posted... except a power meter *swoon* Some day!
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    well heres some stuff... a black yoga mat to put behind the rear tire because your burning off a lot.. remember that it does get very very hot...

a hrm moniter... whatever kind you want

a rear tire speed senor thing....

front tire riser... and shoes and clips... so you get to use your full leg when working out... .

also a fan cause you will not believe how hot you get and how quickly
  • maletac
    Options
    The Sufferfest videos seem to be a good investment as well :) Either that or DVR Vuelta, TDF, other bike races for inspiration to pedal harder :) I pretty much have everything everyone else posted... except a power meter *swoon* Some day!

ohh yeah.. biking videos of terrain.... or anything else that inspires you to go crazy!! :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've always felt I needed a remote control holder for my handle bars. :wink:
  • maletac
    Options
    buy a wii or any game counsel.. or have your celly ready to text..... honestly the hardest part of this is the mental warfare of bordum...
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you have on your bike to start with...

A cycle computer like one from Cateye or equivalent. Will give you speed, distance, pedal cadence, etc.

Clipless pedals. Something like the Shimano M520 is a decent starter level pedal for not a lot of money.
    Clipless pedals means you need cycling shoes. The cleat that bolts to the bottom of the cycling shoe snaps into the pedal. Not only do you get power on the down stroke, but can pull on the up stroke really adding power to your cycling.
    (why they are called clipless pedals when you do clip into them, I have no idea)

Cycling shorts. Spandex to basically eliminate chaffing and padded in the crotch so being on the bike seat won't be terribly uncomfortable.

Rubber mat or two under the whole trainer/bike/front riser setup. If you have wood floors or over a crawl space / on a 2nd floor the trainer can be a little noisy (mine is) so the mat cuts down on vibration noise and catches sweat drips.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    buy a wii or any game counsel.. or have your celly ready to text..... honestly the hardest part of this is the mental warfare of bordum...

Amen! All of the work and none of the WHEEEEEE!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    A giant fan.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have the 305 with the same stuff. Can't go wrong.

I also got a bike thong from REI that keeps all my salty sweat from hitting the bike. http://www.rei.com/product/737841/cycleops-bike-thong

apparently, as an added bonus, you can put your 1998 cell phone and comically over-sized tv remote in the little sack in the front (it's removable lol)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    A fan. Trust me on this one.

How about a trainer tire for the rear? Definitely worth having.
  • hopperja
    hopperja Posts: 4
    Options
    A cyclo-computer is a good idea - a basic one is all that I need. Just make sure you get one that has long enough cordage to get to the back wheel (or a wireless one with sufficient distance, such as VDO).

I typically do interval training on the bike trainer. I shift into a gear that I comfortably pedal for a warmup, call that a 6. Do that for a minute, shift up. Do that a minute, shift up, etc. All the way until 9. 9 should be a gear that you struggle to do at a good cadence for a minute. Here is my interval pattern: 6 ->7->8->9->7->8->9->8->9->9 = 10 minutes. I do 20 to 30 minutes (2 to 3 cycles) of this a couple times per week.

By 10 minutes, I work up such a sweat that I'd ruin my computer if I had it in front of me. I just crank up the music and suffer...