Protein Advice

Options
REB89
REB89 Posts: 493 Member
Ok, so MFP has put me on a 1,200cal a day with 45g of protein. I'm pretty good about staying within my calorie range but i'm ALWAYS over on my protein. Should I adjust my settings? At the moment they are 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. What is a sensible percentage to increase the protein by and should it replace carbs or fats? Also, I seem to ave hit a plateau for almost a month now and i'm hoping that altering these nutrition goals slightly might help. I would really appreciate any advice you guys have to offer. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• REB89
    Options
    Ok, so MFP has put me on a 1,200cal a day with 45g of protein. I'm pretty good about staying within my calorie range but i'm ALWAYS over on my protein. Should I adjust my settings? At the moment they are 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. What is a sensible percentage to increase the protein by and should it replace carbs or fats? Also, I seem to ave hit a plateau for almost a month now and i'm hoping that altering these nutrition goals slightly might help. I would really appreciate any advice you guys have to offer. Thanks!:smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    most places I read say between 15 and 25 percent protein is fine. The most common one I see for a balanced diet is 50 25 25 (carb fat protein in percent). There are numbers that are all over the board but generally I see 20 to 25 percent protein. I have noticed on this site that they subscribe to a lower protein % then many. Personally, I weight train so I try to keep it at 25%, I imaging going above 15% is ok, I would just be aware that going over 30% can have effects on your health though (over an extended period).
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I've read that you should eat 0.9 - 1.5 g protein for each kg (about 2lbs) of your weight.
    0.9 is for inactive and about 1.1 for exercising and 1.5 or more for sportsmen.

I set my protein goal higher because I think I do lots of weights.

In my opinion you should worry at all about being above your proteins goal if it's not more than 30% of your calories.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    I AGREE. YOU SHOULD BE STREGTH TRAINING ANYWAY AND YOU NEED THE PROTEIN TO FUEL YOUR MUSCLES. I AM ALSO ON A 1,200 CALORIE DIET AND AM ALWAYS OVER ON MY PROTEIN. I DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT AT ALL.:happy:
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I adjusted my setting by only 5% and I was all I needed. I made a huge difference and now I rarely go over. If I remember right I took the extra 5% from my carbs. HTH

:heart: Krystal
  • REB89
    Options
    Thanks for all the sugegstions, I've moved up my protein to 20% and i'll see how that works out! I really appreciate the advice :happy: