How long before someone noticed?

Options
I was SO excited today when someone (who hasn't seen me in a while) said, "Wow! You look like you've lost weight!" It is the very first time someone noticed. I've lost 23 lbs.

So, how many pounds did you have to lose before someone noticed?

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about noticing, but other than my wife, no one's commented yet. She's laughing when my pants bunch up so much at the front that the snap / button pops out from under my belt and shows off my drawers. I don't feel like buying new pants just yet LOL.
  • MaryMary11
    MaryMary11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My Dh's spiritual adviser just asked him if I was ok! He saw that I had dropped quite a bit of weight and he wanted to make sure it was something I was trying to do, not because of an illness. No one else but my teenage daughter has commented though.

FYI my ticker is off because I set it up prior to having my latest baby. Since the birth of my child I have lost 38 pounds. :happy:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It was right around 22-23 lbs before anyone noticed.
  • StartingOver12
    Options
    I'm down 26 pounds, no one has said anything yet but I'm hoping they will notice in another 10 or so!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think it was after 10-15 lbs when one of my female co-workers asked if i'd been losing weight. It was probably 20-25 lbs before any male co-workers asked. I have the feeling they were playing it "safe". LOL

What is really nice is that a couple of people have said that I don't look like I need to lose any more weight. Of course, my reply is "You think that because you haven't seen me in a swimsuit." :happy:
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    my supervisor at work noticed last week, and ive a stone off. though it was probably cos i wasn't wearing a hoody and baggy trousers lol!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    People started telling me I had lost weight before I actually had.
  • pmkershaw
    pmkershaw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband noticed at 14lbs and a couple colleagues and close friends noticed at 20lb. Still waiting for the masses though!
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It took me about 35 lbs before people started to notice. But I started at 310 lbs. I think the bigger you are, it takes more lbs to really see it. Obviously 35 lbs on someone in the 100's would be really noticeable.

There is a sign at Curves I love. It says "It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, 8 weeks for friends and family, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Keep Going!"
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Around 20 and I got tons of compliments and people noticing. Though some people just look at me funny and know something is different but aren't sure what. Someone today said, when did you start wearing make up (I haven't changed my make up!).
    Keep up the great work.
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I found people noticed around the 10 to 15 pounds mark especially as I kept on having to pull my trousers up LOL

Now my body is changing shape weekly :-)

Good Luck on your journey

:flowerforyou:
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    :I have lost weight a few times in my life.. When I was in high school I lost a total of 55 lbs. No one really noticed until about 35-40 lbs were gone! But, I saw only family and classmates everyday so they were used to seeing me. Then, after I got married I gained that weight back. :frown: But, I have been losing the last couple months and have lost 23. People are just now starting to notice. I think more people have noticed faster this time is because I own a hair salon and see clients only every 6-8 weeks, so they are able to perceive a difference since they don't see me everyday! ... Congrats on your 23 lb loss!! You will surely get more compliments from here on out!! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Started at 242 and today was the first day at 217. Lost 25 before anyone spoke up. Couldn't believe it took that much, 6' tall male.
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's weird, the people close to you often don't notice weight loss. NONE of my family or my two best friends have noticed that I have lost 11 lbs. But the other day a friend that I hadn't seen since August noticed! At that point I had only lost 7 lbs.

It can be frustrating but I always remind myself that I'm not doing it for other people or to get noticed. I'm doing it for me and my overall health. The nice comments are a bonus.
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I changed sites at work and when I came back a manager I barely spoke to noticed- at that point I'd only lost 6lbs but I'm short so people say 6lbs looks like a big difference... I only noticed on myself after 9lbs
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It took 30 lbs.(out of 60 to lose) for anyone to notice. I had been wearing sweatshirts and loose pants for the Fall and Winter because I didn't want to buy clothes that wouldn't fit next year - Lord willing. I wore something more form-fitting and everyone thought I'd lost it a week ago or something.
  • Motivatedforchange
    Options
    About 20 it was so awesome!!! Someone else noticed when I hit the 30 pound mark. It's so motivating!
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday my lovely daughter (not so lovely at the time) said to me "mom I don't want to be rude, but you look the same.":cry: I've lost 14 lbs so far.:bigsmile:
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    It took me about 35 lbs before people started to notice. But I started at 310 lbs. I think the bigger you are, it takes more lbs to really see it. Obviously 35 lbs on someone in the 100's would be really noticeable.

There is a sign at Curves I love. It says "It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, 8 weeks for friends and family, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Keep Going!"

I love that quote! I also started in the 300's and it took about 50 for anyone to notice but when I was in the 220's and lost another 50 down to the 170's, everyone noticed. Awesome.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    20 pounds down was the most noticeable, but I think it's because I left school in June at one weight, and came back in August at a dramatically slimmer weight.