Important notice regarding daily goals!!!

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
Today, I was looking at adjusting my exercise goals, and while working on the goals tab, I saved...

After saving, my daily calorie goal dropped! I did not change my weight. I even went back and changed my exercise back, but it stayed at the same level it changed to after I saved.

Do yourself, and your friends, a favor. Go to the Goals section, and click save. I posted this on my newsfeed, and some of my friends had the same thing happen!

It looks like MFP may not be updating things correctly when you add a weightloss. Thankfully, mine only dropped 70 calories, but who knows how much it could be for some people!!

Replies

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yup. This very thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. My calorie goal dropped by 30 cals after I messed around with my goals, I was looking at what it would take to maintain once I was at my goal weight. When I was done, I changed everything back exactly the way it was before and it spits out a calorie goal 30 cals lower than what I was eating. ANNOYING....
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I just did this. Didn't change ANYTHING. Just clicked through the goals page and hit "update". It dropped me from 1530 maintenance cals to 1510! :( Before it changed when I updated my weight loss, but this is for no apparent reason???
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I just did this. Didn't change ANYTHING. Just clicked through the goals page and hit "update". It dropped me from 1530 maintenance cals to 1510! :( Before it changed when I updated my weight loss, but this is for no apparent reason???

Huh? Why would it change your maintenance calories?? Doesn't make sense....did you change your lifestyle options? (sedentary, lightly active, active, ect) I see you say you didn't change anything though, just checking
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Huh? Why would it change your maintenance calories?? Doesn't make sense....did you change your lifestyle options? (sedentary, lightly active, active, ect) I see you say you didn't change anything though, just checking

If you post a weight loss, it's going to drop your maintenance calories. I didn't technically change anything either. I've not entered a weight for a couple weeks, but when I hit save, it dropped the cals.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Interesting, it happened to me too. Took away 60 calories from my daily intake. Thanks for the heads up.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    How / where do you do this?
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I manually control and calculate my calories from the same pages.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I do this weekly. As your weight drops, your "calories needed to maintain" drops - therefore your calorie goal also drops.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    MFP only changes your calorie goals every, I believe, 10 lbs. But if you go in and mess with your goals, it will go ahead and change them based on your weight right then. So maybe you had lost 5 lbs since you last updated your goals. That's my guess ?
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I discovered this a few months ago. Luckily I don't always eat all my calories. They really should fix this.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    When you make any change, it recalculates your goal for your most recent weight you recorded. So, if you lost 5 pounds since you entered your exercise goals, and change them, it will calculate a new daily goal based on that lower weight. You would see the same change if you just had it recalculate your daily goal every day, as you lose weight your body needs less calories for just existing, so your daily goal is lowered. If you never change it, and lose 10 pounds, it will ask you if you want to recalculate and will then lower it to account for the 10 pounds. By making a change before you get to the 10 pounds you are just doing the same recalculation for a smaller loss.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Mine went from 1250 to 1210. Then i did something else and it brought it to 1220! Im ok with that! But i think its cause updated my goals and it went from my original start of 160 to 155! idk..
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Apparently (I've not reached this milestone on MFP yet) it asks you every 10lbs if you'd like to update your goal. I go in regularly and update them anyway - I lost 30 calories yesterday. :tongue:

I think MFP's asking every 10lbs is absolutely fine, though - you're still going to be losing during that time.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Damn it! I just lost 20 cals.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Nothing changed on mine. Not sure if that's good or bad.
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mine did too it dropped from 1350 to 1300, took me a few days to get used to it lol :ohwell:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Damn it! I just lost 20 cals.

I lost a heck of a lot more than that.
    *sigh*
    Darn my rule for not reading instructions...
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would expect that this value is only calculated when you save. That way there would be a lot less complaints than there would be if the value automatically adjusted every other day.

Congrats on getting fitter.
  • ckerrcanchaser
    Options
    Unlike everyone else, mine went up! Well on my home page it has stayed at 1200 but for my food page it's up to 1,741!! This seemed to have changed in just the past few days and I'm not to sure why.
  • MarilynC1956
    MarilynC1956 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Apparently (I've not reached this milestone on MFP yet) it asks you every 10lbs if you'd like to update your goal. I go in regularly and update them anyway - I lost 30 calories yesterday. :tongue:

I think MFP's asking every 10lbs is absolutely fine, though - you're still going to be losing during that time.

I agree with this.