Help For A Rookie? LOL!

Options
Can one of you fabulous success stories please tell me how you get through the first week of eating healthy and calorie counting? Working out, peice of cake for me. Eating right? Ehhhhh.... No such luck! Any one have any tips? Im a huge snacker, and I love to eat out! Im 172.5 wanting to see 120 again lol. If I could get the diet part down it would fall off! Help please!

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs and my advice is to take baby steps. Don't change everything at once. Pick one or two small changes to start with (like no snaking after a certain time) and build up from there. It is easier to stick with that way and the small successes are huge confidence boosters.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just kept reminding myself what my goal was and by cheating I would not get there.
  • dlperry65
    dlperry65 Posts: 83
    Options
    Small changes. If eating out alot., find which places, lik Applebees will keep you within your calories or get a to go box when you get your meal and pack up half! More water, less soda. Log everything, regardless. Overtime, you will find yourself making better choices, just to NOT undo all your hard exercising!
    Do not forget you are on a journey and journey's usually have bad days as well as good ones.
    Good luck.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Cut out all soda, including diet drinks. Drink lots of water. I use Stevia for flavorings. Any milk products should be fat free, and I make my own Yogurt. Eliminate plastic storage and switch to all glass containers (never microwave in a plastic container) and try to go organic, and hormone free. It is amazing the difference it can make. Use Asiago cheese and cilantro for a punch of flavor, and avoid melons. Try substituting almond butter for peanut butter. Make your own jelly using Stevia for a sugar substitute and pack your own lunch. Have a white fish (orange roughy is tasty) twice a week. Grill your meat, not pan sear, to allow any fat to drain away.
  • PeachKitty
    Options
    We're starting in a similar place (though I've a few pounds on you) and we're aiming for the same goal :)

I've just gone through my first week, and it is hard, especially if you're a snacker. There's times where you're just so tempted to have a little something, and all you can really do is try and distract yourself from the temptation. But keep everything in moderation, you need to take it slowly.

Last night, after being good all day, I was wicked hungry about 8pm. I mean it actually hurt I was that hungry. So I allowed myself a snack, and just made sure to stay within the recommended calorie guidelines.

I've cut out soda completely, though I still allow myself a low calorie energy drink; some of my days start at 5am, they're needed.

Most of all, good luck! You just need to keep at it, and once that first bit of weight comes off, it gets a little easier.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to be a boredom grazer, wander through to the kitchen, couple of biscuits, bag of crisps, can of pepsi max and then back an hour later for some toast or cereal. I recognised this as a problem and did not replace these items in the weekly shop, if they aren't readily available then i can't have them. If i'm desperate enough for a snack then I have to walk to the shop to buy one, thus reducing the damage to the calories.
    First few weeks are tough as your body starts to get withdrawals from the change in food and your mood may also be erratic but stick with it, it does get easier and your taste changes along the way, I'd rather have a pink lady apple than a twix now.

Oh aye, and plenty of water - sometimes when you feel hungry your'e body is actually thirsty and a pint of water kills the hunger.

Keep on it!
  • KacyDS
    KacyDS Posts: 2
    Options
    We're starting in a similar place (though I've a few pounds on you) and we're aiming for the same goal :)

I've just gone through my first week, and it is hard, especially if you're a snacker. There's times where you're just so tempted to have a little something, and all you can really do is try and distract yourself from the temptation. But keep everything in moderation, you need to take it slowly.

Last night, after being good all day, I was wicked hungry about 8pm. I mean it actually hurt I was that hungry. So I allowed myself a snack, and just made sure to stay within the recommended calorie guidelines.

I've cut out soda completely, though I still allow myself a low calorie energy drink; some of my days start at 5am, they're needed.

Most of all, good luck! You just need to keep at it, and once that first bit of weight comes off, it gets a little easier.

LOL thanks everyone. So the moral to all is you just got to push through it lol! Im struggling but its nice to see it can be done, and has been done! Im doing Insanity and find Im more hungry then ever! Which is bad for us snackers lol.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS of water. I used to be a serial snacker at work but now I keep a bottle of H2O at my desk and sipping it helps tons. Also, if you KNOW you will be wanting a snack, try to head it off by having something healthy along, like a little bag of baby carrots, etc. My friend also told me she has started posting pictures of her old skinny self in easy to see places so that when she wants to snack she is reminded not to.

It is hard getting self control, but just remember that is what you are doing and it takes work, especially after long times of not having any. You will probably not keep at it in the beginning, but just keep coming back to it, remember, it's NOT a diet, it's a lifestyle change and you have the rest of your life to get it "right." After you stick with it for awhile it WILL get alot easier though, you will start being greedy with your calories and be like "I don't want that doughnut, I want to save up for a steak dinner tonight." :)

And try not to think of it as depriving yourself of things, think of it as needing to get a certain amount of nutirition a day (see your protein, carbs, Vitamin goals) and having to find food that fits that profile. Then you will start to realize it's less of "I can't have that" and more of "I don't want that because I would rather have something that has some nutritional value to keep me healthy for the same calories."

Stick with it!! It will get easier, (and then some days will be hard, but keep at it) and you WILL acheive your goal!!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Small changes. If eating out alot., find which places, lik Applebees will keep you within your calories or get a to go box when you get your meal and pack up half! More water, less soda. Log everything, regardless. Overtime, you will find yourself making better choices, just to NOT undo all your hard exercising!
    Do not forget you are on a journey and journey's usually have bad days as well as good ones.
    Good luck.

Yes yes, when eating out ALWAYS check MFP or the restaurants nutiritional values online and figure out what you want BEFORE you get there. There are SO many times where I think "wow I would have gotten that thinking it was healthy but it is like +1,000 calories." Restaurants aren't stupid, they want to mislead you. But if you do your homework FIRST and get a couple of dish ideas (don't forget sides, salads, chips for the table, etc! they add up!), you will be in control and you can keep in your caloric limit.
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    My advice...don't hate what you are doing. I eat out at least 4x week and I just choose more wisely. I hate putting a big # in MFP for a meal so if I'm torn between 2 things....I order the 'better' one for me. Eat what you like, just eat less of it, too. As soon as you start eating half a cheeseburger (less than 200 calories) rather than a whole one....eating a egg white omlette with fresh tomato and low fat cheese(120 cal) instead of a 4 egg omlette...you'll be able to lose the weight. You can live a normal life, enjoy food and still lose weight...I promise.
    But don't cheat...put it all in and have someone to hold you accountable.

Good luck! You can do it.
    (71 lbs lost in 22 weeks)
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself WHY you decided to so this.
    For me it was small changes - instead of eating a whole chocolate bar, I'd cut it into 5 equal peices and one of those would be my treat for getting my exercise done.
    Have you ever noticed how absolutely sweet and crunchy red bell peppers are? I use them for a sweet snack now, although I'll never give up my chocolate entirely!
    Water, water, water! And if you want to complain that it has you running to the bathroom every hour - just consider that part of your excercise program! It's all in the mindset :laugh:
    Eat a handful of nuts or drink a glass of water before you eat - it cuts the edge and you'll eat less.
    I substituted lemon juice and olive oil for butter and salt on my veggies - and upped the portions by about 3X.
    Just little things, but they all add up!
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    make the snacks low calorie

favorite snacks-

2 broccoli spears with 1/6 cup of cheese (trust me its enough) just boil the broccoli on high so you don't have to wait forever
    string cheese
    sugar free pudding or fat free
    slimfast 100 calorie meal bars----the chocolatey vanilla blitz is the best candy in the world

Also when you cook leave out the butter and salts and use a super nonstick pan instead
  • TTcarey
    TTcarey Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself of why you started doing this in the first place. Then tell yourself you are worth it.
    Enjoy a long healthy life ;)
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water, commit yourself to not drinking pop of any sort. Don't drink juice either. Commit yourself to not eating fast food for a set amount of time. (I've only recently just had it for the first time since the beginning of the year, and only out of necessity, not desire). Just tell yourself no. If you're going out to eat and you know where ahead of time, pre-plan. Go on their website and look up nutrition info or look it up on here. Cut out creamy salad dressings (like my favorite ranch :() and stick with oil & vinegar. Try to eat mostly lean meats (turkey, chicken, etc). Cut out mayo....go for mustard and salsa and that type of stuff. Bake things instead of frying them. If youre like me, and dont know how to cook very well, learn! I've found it's been one of the most fun parts of my journey. I've found tons of recepies I love to try from various websites (skinnytaste.com is my fave) And mostly, take it one day at a time. Eat healthy, work out, drink a ton of water and not much else...focus on doing it healthily today and today only. Then repeat it tomorrow, and so on and so forth. It's easier to think about overcoming bad eating habits ONE day at a time.

and if none of that helps, plan your meals before the day...I don't do that but I know a lot of people do. Shop on the outsides of the grocery store (where it's mostly fresh unprocessed foods) instead of in the aisles. Make a list of food before you go tot he store and COMMIT to sticking ot it.....If you only buy healthy stuff, youll only be able to eat healthy stuff
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    not easy but do able ... think about someone who means you most and then think about living a healthy and long life with them .... there you go ... that helped me
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im in the same boat... thanks everyone for all this advice!! im actually craving sugar right now... so i made a small switch and ate a small banana instead...

im also new to MFP and need all the support i can get... its my first week too..actually my 1st day, (i backtracked and cringed at the amount of calories i inhaled over the past week without even realising when i filled out my food diary)

would love to get some connections and pointers on this weight loss journey...

im 5'7 and around 192 pounds and my goal is to get to around 150 pounds.. would love to have some new friends who are on this journey to and also success stories to add me also..

The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! =]
  • bibi6984
    bibi6984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water, commit yourself to not drinking pop of any sort. Don't drink juice either. Commit yourself to not eating fast food for a set amount of time. (I've only recently just had it for the first time since the beginning of the year, and only out of necessity, not desire). Just tell yourself no. If you're going out to eat and you know where ahead of time, pre-plan. Go on their website and look up nutrition info or look it up on here. Cut out creamy salad dressings (like my favorite ranch :() and stick with oil & vinegar. Try to eat mostly lean meats (turkey, chicken, etc). Cut out mayo....go for mustard and salsa and that type of stuff. Bake things instead of frying them. If youre like me, and dont know how to cook very well, learn! I've found it's been one of the most fun parts of my journey. I've found tons of recepies I love to try from various websites (skinnytaste.com is my fave) And mostly, take it one day at a time. Eat healthy, work out, drink a ton of water and not much else...focus on doing it healthily today and today only. Then repeat it tomorrow, and so on and so forth. It's easier to think about overcoming bad eating habits ONE day at a time.

and if none of that helps, plan your meals before the day...I don't do that but I know a lot of people do. Shop on the outsides of the grocery store (where it's mostly fresh unprocessed foods) instead of in the aisles. Make a list of food before you go tot he store and COMMIT to sticking ot it.....If you only buy healthy stuff, youll only be able to eat healthy stuff

this has been so helpful!!
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you just include something that you love once in awhile in your daily calorie intake that you have better success..Depriving yourself completely of all the things you love to eat will just set you up for failure...And you can find ways to substitute for some of the sugary things you may love or salty for that matter to ease that craving..popcorn can be a great snack because you can eat a lot of it and still not a lot of calories if you eat the light kind....you can find a lot online..one place is the skinnytaste.com for good recipes to help you..good luck and don't give up!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You kinda just gotta buckle down and concentrate on your end goal. Think of where you want to be. Quitting, eating crap, it won't help you. If you want it bad enough, you can do it!!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you're a snacker, you might do better with 5-6 small meals/day instead of 3 bigger meals. For most of those mini-meals, make healthier choices. But allow yourself a treat for at least one of those mini-meals. Maybe the evening one so you have something to look forward to.

Most of all, keep it fun. Find exercise you enjoy and look forward to doing. Meals/snacks that you enjoy eating.

Don't cut calories too low. Eat your exercise calories.

Best advice, imho, is to read all the sticky posts at the top of the "General Diet and Weight Loss" section of the forums. LOTS of great info in there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!