Coming back after regaining everything I lost

Options
I lost 27 lbs on MFP, then when my mom was ill and was caretaking, I ate my way thru the stress, then the holidays and now I've gained it all back, + an extra 5 lbs. I restarted yesterday and am in the throes of super-hunger, both physical and mental. Just trying to wait it out until that part is better while eating within my allotted calories. Next up, add exercise.

Replies

• tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You've done it before...you WILL do it again....this time plan ahead...think of how you will handle the stress if it should arrive. With a plan in place, YOU WILL SUCCEED!
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    Aww, I kind of know how you feel. I only lost 15 lbs the first time around, and gained back 9-10, but it's so incredibly tough when you've done so well and then lose all your progress. And starting the second time is almost harder than the first! Good luck with your journey, and feel free to add me if you want a friend who knows your pain. LOL

Also, I agree with the PP, you've done it once, you can do it again!
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yup you can totally do it again!! You might need to change the method though to one that will help you to stick with it for longer and help you to maintain the new weight. :)
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have totally been there -- but I just try to think about how much I would weigh right now if I *hadn't* done the earlier weight loss. The fact that you went through a traumatic event and basically "maintained" is not bad ... and now you are starting back which is good.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Once you get going again, try to use exercise as a stress reliever. I find that it helps me to relax and sleep better and my mood is much improved.
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! One day at a time. Don't ever give up. stressful times are very difficult. I do a lot of praying in those situations.
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I totally understand in 2009-10 I lost 30lbs then 2011- didn't focus didn't care really and gain the 30 back plus another 10. so here I am again. it seems harder this time, maybe a mental thing not sure. I know what I should do, what I need to do I am just struggling with getting myself back together... since January I've lost 6-7lbs it just seems like it was pulling nails to get those pounds lost. :grumble:

I need to add exercise again and I know I will start feeling stronger healthier and lighter ~~~~~
  • Chalesie
    Chalesie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Once you get going again, try to use exercise as a stress reliever. I find that it helps me to relax and sleep better and my mood is much improved.

I've noticed this too... I've started using exercise as my stress reliever and I feel so much better afterwards. I know that I resisted the stress eating and worked out...I feel stronger mentally and physically!
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    Ahhh a new beginning. How great is that. I know folks all have their own tricks for knocking back the hunger. For me it's some cardio work. For some reason, a 20+ minutes walk will help with most of it. That's why I have trouble eating my exercise calories. I use the treadmill just before supper but don't eat extra all day just in case I don't get the workout in and am left with only 150 calories for supper and evening. When I have 400 or so calories left for supper, I know I can workout to bump that up. I cannot eat 800 calories at night though so the exercise calories are not used as much. I find that eating at night slows down or stops my weight loss.
  • madbitchdonna
    Options
    Hi all
    I've been on here since friday, between sept 07 and march 08 I lost 5 stone (70lbs) very randomly, no explanation really went from a massve 17 stone down to 12 stone (168lbs) dr told me my weght for my height etc should be 9 stone (126lb)
    but at 12 stone people were mentioning I looked all bony etc tried to stay at 12 stone and stayed like it for around 18 months and it all piled on plus more which took me to 266lb ive been on here since friday, and along with exercise id say this MFP is working well, my big problem is that I have multiple sclerosis and exercise leaves me in a lot of pain, ive had a few rare good days so ive been able to exercise, but im just wondering on my bad days which i have a lot of where i can barely walk will the healthy eating do it alone?????
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. As you know I have gained 26 lbs myself...over a much shorter time. So we will be on this together! Support goes a long way. You have done it before and you will do it again. you have the motivation back. that gets you half way there.
  • timetoloseweight
    timetoloseweight Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've never used the "community" before, the support is really nice!
  • vikkilmp
    vikkilmp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the other folks are saying. You can do it again! This must be a good place for support or you wouldn't be back, right? You can do it! Again!
  • titchymummy84
    Options
    You done really well and under circumstances I wouldn't worry. I'm forever losing then gaining at moment so its not only you lol. I have got to get motivated has I get married in April so want to lose about half a stone for then xxx
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Don't diet this time. Take this opportunity to change your eating habits to sustain your weightloss. Once you start a diet ..at some point you stop it. Then what? Back to eating the same old way that gained the weight in the first place?? No! Change your habits for life.

Ok I'm done :)
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 lbs, and gained wayyy too much back :( I ate my way through stress as well. You can do it!
  • timetoloseweight
    timetoloseweight Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks jamja72, I have to say, that's been my pattern my entire adult life. I did do what you're saying when I lost the 27 lbs but I don't think I realized how much of a bad eater I really am under stress and fatigue. That's where I need to solve some issues.
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    I've been there. It's a journey....small steps. They all add up