Hurray for Gastric Bypass!!

Options
srhula
srhula Posts: 25 Member
I am 5'1, 43 year old female. I had gastric bypass surgery on June 28th with a starting weight of 216 and was a size 18/20. Today I weigh 125 and am a size 4. It is the best thing I could have ever done for myself. It's still a work in progress. My focus in 2012 is fitness and nutrition and being healthy. I love my new size. I had virtually no complications with my surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat if given the choice again. I used to have a love affair with food. I love that I do not think about eating all the time now. It's just something I do to survive, it's not an event. I would be happy to answer any questions that any of you might have that are considering such a drastic step. I was fortunate that my insurance paid 100%. I have been the model gastric bypass patient and follow the rules, take my supplements, get the protein intake, etc... I never want to go back to where I was. You can see my pictures on my profile before and how I look today. I am very proud and only have 5 more pounds to go before I'm done.

Replies

• JustLena75
    Options
    Congrats! I'm a post op as well, had surgery in 2004.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good job! A close frined in my motorcycle club did this as well and dropped over 300 lbs I think. Its a tough decision and a lot of work. Good for you!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had intestinal bypass in Sept. 2011 and am so glad that I did. It's going to change my life.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I too am post op from Aug 2011 (had VSG not bypass but kudos to those who follow the post op program) !!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being so close to your goal!!! I had my surgery in 2002. I too swear by it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I only wish that I had given up bread permanently back then. The honeymoon is for the first few years after the surgery. I had 3 babies so I don't think I am doing too badly but I gave up bread and gluten a year ago and that was also one of the best decisions I have ever made. I just wish I took it away when I couldn't eat it after my surgery as it is poison for me but I didn't realize it back then. It was so nice to finally feel normal again. Your bad habits will come back if you don't retrain your brain now. So many people gain their weight back but as long as you do not go back to your weaknesses and bad habits, you will not have any problems. congrats, I remember how I felt and it was such an amazing feeling!!. I never really reached my goal weight because I wanted to have babies. Now that I am done having kids, I am ready to finish this 10 year journey.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I too am post op from Aug 2011 (had VSG not bypass but kudos to those who follow the post op program) !!

I had a VSG too in January, 2010. Lost over 125 lbs, met and exceeded goal weight in 10 months. I've kept it off AND become fairly athletic as a result. I feel incredible and look good too.

I'd do it all over again, given the same circumstances that led me to the decision!

So hooray to all of you as well!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! I started at 450lbs and had mine in 2003. I feel like I am doing great considering in 2007 I got lazy and went back to pop and chips. Back on track and getting down again!!
  • srhula
    srhula Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It feels great. I have major trouble eating bread. Thank goodness. I can eat it if it's toasted, but not if it's soft. Can't eat flour tortillas or chips. But that is just fine with me. I love being able to go to a restaurant and not even be tempted by the bread or chip basket.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If bread is a weakness for you, like it was for me, I suggest never going back to it while you don't crave it. Then you will never have a weight problem again. Taking out wheat takes out most processed foods, cookies, pasta etc etc.. Those are the foods you want to avoid anyway in my opinion if you want to avoid weight gain of any sort. Enjoy the new body. I can't wait to get there!!
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Had min GBP 9 years ago - lost 200lbs. I blew my knee running a marathon in 2008 and have added back 45 lbs. Now I am clear to go again so gonna hit the 45 hard, plus would love to add another 10.
  • susandnichols
    Options
    I am 5 months post-op and down 61 lbs. I just broke through my 2nd plateau and am so proud of myself for not becoming discouraged. Pre-surgery, I would have give up after a week or two of doing everything right and exercising but not losing weight. I know the surgery did not fix my emotional ties I have with food but it has definitely been the TOOL I needed to break the affair! I would go through this 100 times again!
  • itamd1970
    itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating bypass surgery (the sleeve) but im pretty scared that after all that I will go back to my old habits and nothing will be resolved. I'm also concerned about what losing 75% of my stomach will do to me long term. I'm however more and more aware of the fact that there may not be another option. My brother lost 50 lbs on medifast diet in just one month, and I think, what can't I do that? but im pretty sure I can't.
    Would love to hear from others,
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating bypass surgery (the sleeve) but im pretty scared that after all that I will go back to my old habits and nothing will be resolved. I'm also concerned about what losing 75% of my stomach will do to me long term. I'm however more and more aware of the fact that there may not be another option. My brother lost 50 lbs on medifast diet in just one month, and I think, what can't I do that? but im pretty sure I can't.

Hi! Well, a couple things: 1) The sleeve is NOT bypass surgery so be sure you do your homework and get the surgery that is right for you; 2) You very well may go back to your habits if you aren't ready to take control of your mind. It's the mind that controls the habits, not the food; 3) I had 90% of my stomach removed. At 75%, you will have a significantly larger stomach left than most sleeve patients who lose between 80 and 95%, and 4) Your brother is not you. Did he keep the weight off? Did he change his life as a result of the "diet"?

What I'm trying to say is, surgery is a big step and not something to toy with. Get the facts from a weight loss surgeon who does ALL procedures (so his/her opinion is fair and balanced), decide if you can live the rest of your life with the results, then get your head in a place that makes failure not an option. At that point, you'll make the right decision for you.
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 13 days post op from my Gastric bypass surgery. I am feeling great. I am not hungry, but the desire to eat is still there. I am following all the Doctors's advice. I am happy with my decision and look forward to the success those here have mentioned. I lost 15 lbs pre-op and another 15 since surgery.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options

My opinion is that you CAN do it on your own and that is thee BEST way to do it. This site is full of people who lost a lot of weight but you have to put in the effort and you have to realize it's a very SLOW process. You do not want to lose 50 lbs in one month, it's not safe at all.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options

Hi! Well, a couple things: 1) The sleeve is NOT bypass surgery so be sure you do your homework and get the surgery that is right for you; 2) You very well may go back to your habits if you aren't ready to take control of your mind. It's the mind that controls the habits, not the food; 3) I had 90% of my stomach removed. At 75%, you will have a significantly larger stomach left than most sleeve patients who lose between 80 and 95%, and 4) Your brother is not you. Did he keep the weight off? Did he change his life as a result of the "diet"?

What I'm trying to say is, surgery is a big step and not something to toy with. Get the facts from a weight loss surgeon who does ALL procedures (so his/her opinion is fair and balanced), decide if you can live the rest of your life with the results, then get your head in a place that makes failure not an option. At that point, you'll make the right decision for you.

Wise words spoken here!

And to the lady who said weight loss without surgery is the BEST way...well, of COURSE it is. However, less than 5% of those who lose weight with conventional methods keep it off. And no one makes weight loss surgery their FIRST attempt to drop pounds....most of us have dieted our way to morbid or super morbid obesity!! Here's the definition of insanity: doing the same behaviour over and over and expecting a different result! At some point SOME PEOPLE decide to stop the insanity and try something different. Hell, even everyone's favorite doctor, Doctor Oz, thinks MORE people could benefit from WLS.

I had my WLS over 10 years ago; I have had periods of small regain but as long as I follow a healthy diet MOST OF THE TIME, I am able to maintain with little effort. I don't exercise like a fiend; I don't eat limited or weird foods. If you went out to dinner with me you wouldn't even KNOW I had WLS.

No, WLS is not for everyone; but for those who are morbidly obese, suffering from health problems related to their weight, and TIRED of banging their heads against a copy of the latest diet book, it can be a life saver!!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm two weeks post op today, and I feel great. I lost 61 pounds pre-op and have lost another 22 pounds in the last two weeks.

It's been a huge life changing experience for me, but one that is not made lightly nor without extensive research and consultation with your doctor.

It's a tool to help with weight loss, it doesn't remove the weight for you, but rather it helps you to manage the addictions you have with food through various methods, the sleeve removes most of your stomach, and with it, the stomach acid that creates hunger pains. (this is the procedure I had) now I have "cravings" where i can remember that I liked that food, or that taste but without the accompanying hunger, i'm ok to say no to that food.

RNY, or the bypass, again by removing the stomach, becomes a tool, for which you are able to control your body's reactions to your emotional relationships with food.

That is ALL these surgeries do. The losing, the controlling your portions (made easier by a surgery that removes your hunger) the exercise, it's still all on us. It's still things we have to do. This is not a magic wand. It's a tool.

And it's a tool that I'm SO glad I used.

L
  • OCMomof2
    OCMomof2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a Kaiser Permanente patient and they require us to take what they call "Options Classes" for 12 weeks. I'm in week 9. Then I meet with the Dr for final approval. I could have my VSG no later than the end of May!!!

This has been a long journey for me, I'm so excited it's almost here. Although the rest of my life will be a different journey, I'm ready for it to start!
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had RNY Gastric Bypass on March 26th...after YEARS of yo-yo dieting...Instead of "Fit at 40", I was still fat and unhealthy with co-morbidities knocking on the door. I know this is a fabulous tool and I have seen so many success stories on this site. You are all an inspiration...and one day, I look forward to being one too! Day 9 and down 19 lbs...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!