Ice or heat on sore muscles?

Options
I have a very tight, and sore calf muscle.... ice? or heat? I never know which one to use?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Heat is usually used to help relax and loosen muscles, ice for acute injuries.

Do you know what the cause of the tightness & pain is? Have your tried stretching your calves?
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: R.I.C.E. - rest, ice, compression, elevation. I think after the first 72 hours you are supposed to alternate ice and heat, but with my last two muscle strains, I only iced. Initially, lots of ice and rest and wrapped the muscle. After I felt better and started to exercise I iced. Never used heat and all better now. Hope that helps, good luck!
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    It tightened up while I was running today - I have been stretching as much as it will let me!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Heat if just DOMS, ice if it's an injury alternated with heat after the first 30mins or so with icing...remember never to directly apply heat or ice and wrap in a cloth.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Pending your physical condition and what you can tollerate....Stretch...COLDASS bath....Stretch. Later, hit the Hot tub.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    R.I.C.E ... def start with ice, then you can switch to heat if you want, but finish with ice, and make sure you stretch it out, and take it easy.
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    Big Daddy - I would love to hit a hot tub! - Un - fortunetly I don't have one.... or the gym either! Darn it... Any invites to a hot tub?? ;)

Iced it, wrapped it, resting it... will maybe try heat in a bit....