New--have been a WW member--Need more help!

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been on Weight Watchers since June 2011 and I have only lost 35 pounds. I know I say "only" like it is a bad thing...it's not!...but the first few months is when I lost all of my weight and I have hit a plateau for a few months now. I feel like I have wasted my money...

There is a registered dietitian where I work and I just met with her today (so thankful for her) because I'm sick of trying really hard with eating and exercising and not seeing results--or even worse...GAINING!!

WW works very well for many people...and I was just so confused on why it just stopped for me...

For the next two weeks, I'm about to cut out carbs like pasta and rice, and add a bit more fat like nuts and avocado. I'm excited because I've missed those foods!

I am very happy that this website exists---hope to stick to this! (Would be easier with a smartphone!!)

Replies

• Long2bslim
    Long2bslim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been in and out of WW for years, have just discovered MFP and loving it so far, have never counted calories always done points or units so it's something new for me. I think it's helping me be a bit more focused bcos I knew points inside out but I have to think about calories now. Good luck!!
  • vikkilmp
    vikkilmp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have tried WW off and on for many years. I know it works for a lot of people and I often refer back to the WW materials for food ideas...but as a whole I have struggled like you with plateaus. My approach this time around (I am such a yo yo dieter) was to sign up at my local gym with a personal trainer. I share my reports from MFP with her and she thinks it is great. She pushes me through my exercise routine 2xweek and on the third day I do Zumba. As you can see, I'm just starting again and have only lost 2lbs...but I am hoping this site and the support from everyone will make a difference. I hope it will make a difference for you too! Count me in as a friend!
  • SpringBack20
    SpringBack20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too have been a WW member (22 years now) and am finally willing to give something else a try...... Very difficult for me. So far, I am absolutely loving MFP!!!! My plan is to lose this weight forever so slow and steady is the way to go. I can't believe that I am finally losing again (2 weeks now).... who knew that eating more than my points on WW would get me out of my plateau. I am finally a believer that eating at your BMR is the way to go.....
  • SilverMommy
    Options
    Good luck! I am coming over from WW online also.....my husband encouraged me to give journaling a shot here and I love it so far. :)_
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Here from WW too. Great program, but...hmmm, idk...easier to wear a pedometer and do calories in calories out for me personally.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 pounds before MFP, joined to track results better and love the support that is provided. Good luck to you!

It is awesome with a smartphone!
  • mrselanco2268
    mrselanco2268 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I joined WWs online back in 2005 and lost a total of 65 pounds on the FP. I have since regained most of the weight and just was tired of doing points and was wasting my money. I heard about MFP and decided to track here. The past few days have been a challenge but tracking has helped me to be more accountable, along with reading various posts on the boards here. I wish you well on this weight loss journey.:happy:
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options
    I lost weight with WW and gained some (~10 lbs) back. I tried the points plus system, but that didn't work for me. I really like that MFP has a great FREE app and website with a huge database. I've looked into spark people and Lose It, but I like this the best. I don't have a smart phone, but my iPod Touch has been a life saver.

I also agree that eating your BMR is the way to go. I am 5'0 and 125 and I eat ~1350 net calories/day and I have been losing. Good luck with your new journey!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi, I'm Liz you can add me if you like. I'm not a yo-yo dieter, I'm a perpetual dieter. There is hardly a plan, diet, or exercise regimine I haven't done. Former WW member times 6 or more in the last 12 yrs. There system has changed so much and the new points don't help you lose as fast at all! I got stuck at 17 lbs down for something like 4 or 5 months and called it quits...again. I've also done ediets,wt loss hypnosis, cabbage soup, hollywood diet, green tea diet, slimfast, medifast, diet pills, alli, protien diets, south beach, 17 day diet, nutrasystem...etc As far as exercise you name it! Slim-in-6, Shapes, local highschool gym, walking outdoors/indoors, treadmill, gazelle, 90 day workout, 10 min abs, biking, hiking, swimming, cindy crawford workout, jane fonda, just to name a few.

I'm now a member of my local planet fitness (very inexpensive $10/month) and MFP. I think I may stick to this because it combines everything that works for me. Group support, eat virtually anything I'm hungry for, track food, and exercise how ever I want tracking that too.