Does anyone know anything about BCAAs?

Options
I'm experiencing a bit of a plateau and have read some stuff about them. According to the BMI chart I still have about 15 pounds to lose until I'm no longer considered overweight (I'm 5'8 and 174 pounds). I exercise regularly (pilates, circuit training, yoga, cardio, tennis) and eat really healthy foods (not processed, whole wheat, fruits, protein), about 1400 calories on average. I'm willing to experiment with some other strategies to reach a healthy weight! Has anyone used them? Any success?

Replies

• DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi

I personally don't think taking a bcca supplement would be appropriate for you at this stage.

You should be able to get your essential amino acids from the protein in your diet.

If you have hit a plateau you could maintain a high level of good quality protein and introduce some low carb days.

This could get things moving for you again.

Best wishes
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get your essential amino acids from the protein in your diet.

^ I agree with this for what it's worth. BCAA supplementation in the presence of adequate protein intake isn't going to provide you with much of anything.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Some use BCAAs during intermittent fasting.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's a waste of money. Americans get way past the minimum amount of needed protein. There are plenty of scientific studies out there that even athletes, who require more protein than the average person, should be able to get enough from their diet.

The side effects aren't so fun either. Diarrhea, cramps. ALWAYS talk to your doctor before using supplements!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    It's a waste of money. Americans get way past the minimum amount of needed protein. There are plenty of scientific studies out there that even athletes, who require more protein than the average person, should be able to get enough from their diet.

The side effects aren't so fun either. Diarrhea, cramps. ALWAYS talk to your doctor before using supplements!

Diarrhea and cramps from BCAAs? Or supplements in general?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

^ I agree with this for what it's worth. BCAA supplementation in the presence of adequate protein intake isn't going to provide you with much of anything.

Yep, agreed. Stick to cal/macro goals. Patience + persistence = progress.

BCAA's especially not required unless you are doing fasted workouts. (and don't get adequate protein from the rest of you're diet)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Diarrhea and cramps from BCAAs? Or supplements in general?

From BCAAs. This does depend on the person and on how high you're supplementing. Most people go way beyond what's suggested (usually about 3g). This is a bad idea because there are certain amino acids your body can't produce on its own that it needs to get from food, and too many BCAAs could inhibit their absorption. Too many BCAAs can also mess up your acid/base balance which can cause major major damage.

There's also some studies that show BCAAs may increase insulin resistance by causing the release of more insulin in the blood. This is pretty new research, but it's another reason why getting protein from the diet is best, especially if you have risk factors related to diabetes.

Another thing to keep in mind with supplements-they are NOT regulated by the FDA! So talk to your doctor about them and keep in mind that more is not always better.