Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think the body fit media is the same thing as the bodybugg and it's on sale on groupon (I think).
  • angeleyes2u78
    angeleyes2u78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found a steal on 2 body buggs on ebay for 50 bucks... however when I called to activate them, they said it would be 80 bucks to activate them for 6 months and they will not do a monthly program.. .so if you get a 2nd hand body bugg it is not worth the extra money you will spend on it..... I think fit bit may be better.... I think I am just going to go back to walmart and get the hrm i was using before I got the bodybugg....
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    bump....

The gym I go to sells bit fit, I have been curious about this too...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    For me I feel fitbit is the best choice....might be different for different people.....what is the most important thing to you about it........Ifyour answer is accuracy then bodybugg is probably your answer......if anything else then I would say fitbit.......chapter initial cost, no monthly subscription, smaller, and it's great at tracking sleep too.
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think the bodymedia/body bugg package looks great and most accurate. I just want to accurate track my strength sessions more accurately. Bodymedia does that well apparently, it would be great for someone wanting to track weightloss has awesome features but its not what i am interested in plus the monthly subscription (which is cheap though $7/month). BM seems abit to obsessive for me but the fitbit is more for tracking steps, again not what i'm looking for.... oh well i'll keep looking....any other suggestions for a strength training calories counter?

sorry i didnt specify before. cheers
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    For what you seem to want a heart rate monitor should be fine
  • adamsilva
    Options
    Yeah. i was thinking i might have to do manual calculations after each session. livestrong.com says bodyweight before training is important and doesnt mention HR when calculating cal burn during weight training. i thought that was abit odd but looking at the Bodymedia system. that doesnt have a HR monitor on it because it doesnt significantly increase the accuracy of the reading.
    So i guess you can track cal burned without taking into account HR.

so i guess its not odd....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Bodybugg & bodymedia fit are the same. I have BMF. You can use it without a paid subscription :tongue: Just have to know how, which I could show you if you get one. It's easy. The only thing it doesn't do is sleep stuff.

I was actually thinking of getting a fitbit just for some experimentation as I'd love to see what the differences are. Also, now that fitbit syncs with MFP, that is pretty cool.

Also, HRM's are inaccurate for strength training & HIIT type stuff as cals burnt is based on VO2 max not just HR. Think of how high you're heart rate gets doing heavy squats, it's like punching a bag as fast as you can but it doesn't burn anywhere near the same amount of cals. I just aim to be conservative with strength training and base it off how much rest periods I take. I normally say 300-400 for my 60minute sessions. If I do some sort of HIIT finisher then it would be a bit higher.
  • adamsilva
    Options
    hmmm well i might look into a BMF then. would it work on the new slick design bodybugs?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I "think" so but not 100% sure. Mine is an el cheapo non wireless one. There are usually people selling them on bb.com. I can't find the bodymedia fit/body bugg thread though. I think fitbit could be the go actually. Mainly so I don't have to explain to people what is on my arm all the time :laugh:
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    may be worth checking your local ****s Sporting goods. I was at my local ****s a while back and they had a clearance table. I purchased 7!!!! bodybugs for $2.99 each!! yes, 2.99 each. i then was obsessed and went to a bunch of other locations and was able to find a few here and there. not sure if there was a new model or ****s was going to stop carrying them or what. each one came with a free 6 months membership though. If your looking for one, cant beat this deal.

LOL they editied D I C K S sporting goods.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the fitbit is basically a pedometer that does some fancy calculations to give you a supposed calorie burn. I, personally, don't see how it can be all that accurate... I've read a lot of people saying they love it. I've also read a lot of reviews who say it's not, so I'd be careful on that one if you want real accuracy. Read lots of reviews - especially the negative ones.

I own a bodybugg, which is basically the same thing as the bodymedia fit. You wear it all day long. It does NOT measure heart rate, but it does measure a bunch of other things. It seems to be pretty accurate (with a margin of error, of course) to me. I like that you get your calorie burn for the entire day - the time you're doing cardio, lifting, driving, walking from meeting to meeting, watching tv.... You're whole day is included in your burn, not just the cardio. And I'm pretty sure you're going to get a more accurate read than the fitbit, which I believe is only measuring steps. There is a monthly subscription in order to use the bodybugg or bodymedia fit online tools. If you buy the digital display, you can see your info on it and may not need the online tools. However, if your data ever changes (e.g., you lose/gain weight, for example), I think you would lose some accuracy since I believe that must be figured into the way it calculates. So you might want to sign up for a month every now and then just to sync up. I don't think $9.99 a month is too much to pay though. One thing to keep in mind is the bodybugg/bodymedia fit will not be as accurate when cycling because your arms are very stationery while your legs are pumping. Other than that, I've found that it picks up my activity level pretty good (if I compare what I've done to the charts, etc.).
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    may be worth checking your local ****s Sporting goods. I was at my local ****s a while back and they had a clearance table. I purchased 7!!!! bodybugs for $2.99 each!! yes, 2.99 each. i then was obsessed and went to a bunch of other locations and was able to find a few here and there. not sure if there was a new model or ****s was going to stop carrying them or what. each one came with a free 6 months membership though. If your looking for one, cant beat this deal.

We're in Australia. They're rare :) GOOD BUY THOUGH!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    in november i got the bodybugg for 90 bucks and 6 free months so i got it. i love it it makes me realize how much i dont do or how much i do do on certain days :)
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Body media thing. I loved it. $7 per month and month to month. Better customer service than body bugg. Food data base sucks for both.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

that edit is funny. My word prediction tried to put it in my reply.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've been loving my Bodymedia Fit. :drinker:
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just got my FITBIT today. It seems like a legit device. I really like the website. I haven't got to try the sleep tracker yet. I work nights and have odd sleep patterns. I liked that feature to see and help me with my sleep.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Food data base sucks for both [bodybugg and bodymedia fit].

I hear this a lot, and I like to point out that there are some major issues (in my opinion) with mfp's food database which make me actually prefer the bodybugg food entry. In mfp, there is wayyyyyy too much data - and much of it is wrong. I'd much rather enter my own foods into a database with fewer options and know that the info is accurate. Like this morning, I went to put in my Life cereal and I had to search through about 100 "Life with milk" and other incorrect and usless-for-me options before I found the one that worked..... I find that this is more frustrating to me. I would rather have to add my own Life cereal. Then every other time I use it, it's only 1 of maybe 3 options to choose from!!! Much faster and less frustrating (to me)!!

Just wanted to throw that out there.....