transitioning to maintenance

Options
So, I didn't hit my goal weight...only 2 pounds off, though, because my goal was only to lose 7 pounds. However, I am pretty satisfied with where I am and would like to start maintaining.

Who has done this and been successful? Should I slowly add 100 calories to my daily intake each week until I reach the maintain count MFP suggested for me? Should I just start eating more?

My body appreciates the consistency, so I'd hate to mess that up by adjusting took quickly. Any little tidbits will help.

PS, I still plan on working out the same way I have been.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Should I slowly add 100 calories to my daily intake each week until I reach the maintain count MFP suggested for me?

This is a reasonable way to do it.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just switched to Maintenance too! I had 1lb left to lose but like you I am happy with where I am. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about this.
  • alrv
    alrv Posts: 6
    Options
    Bump
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I just hit a happy place to and would love to maintain. I have had a hard time doing this in the past. First I ended up 5lbs under weight so I stopped keeping track and gained 10lbs. I am now happy again and dont know what to do. I think the idea of slowly adding 100 calories is a good start.
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    bump... for when I'm at my goal. :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    When I lose my last 10lbs I plan just to switch right over to maintenance. No slow increase.
  • auhala
    auhala Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have 5 lbs to go! Just switched from 1.5 lbs per week to 1lb per week. SO afraid I'll start gaining.
  • jengessler
    Options
    I have 5 lbs to go! Just switched from 1.5 lbs per week to 1lb per week. SO afraid I'll start gaining.

That's a good idea to lower the lb. per week. Right now I'm at .8/week, so maybe I'll adjust it for .5/week and slowly decrease til I'm at 0. And you can do it! 5 lbs is nothing compared to what you've already accomplished!
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Yes! That is what I did after losing 15 pounds. I started slowly eating 100-250 calories each week until I was at a reasonable maintenance calorie range. I am gaining now (not weight) from lifting and toning but that is why my ticker is changing. :) hope that helps.,
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I switched because I wasn't meant to be losing weight lol. I was on 1600kcal, so I switched and I'm on about 1850kcal. I have noticed I have put a bit of weight on, but I did start weight training.

I started lifting last Friday; Saturday and Sunday were rest days. I lifted again on Monday, worked on Abs yesterday and I will work on Legs today. I am hoping it's just muscle that is causing my weight gain. I can't really see any increase in fat anywhere. Well I hope I am not seeing any increases lol. I know it's only been a few days, but I also had to carry the weights (18kg) from the store to the car, which was like 10 to 15 minutes away. My arms were aching so bad lol.
  • jengessler
    Options
    Yes! That is what I did after losing 15 pounds. I started slowly eating 100-250 calories each week until I was at a reasonable maintenance calorie range. I am gaining now (not weight) from lifting and toning but that is why my ticker is changing. :) hope that helps.,

this does help! Thank you! it's good to know someone has tried this with success.