The fat is gone, the skin is not....

Options
About two years ago, at nearly 275 pounds, I set out to lose 100 pounds (or more). I reached that goal this morning (am now 175 lbs). I am exercising, eating right, not smoking, etc.

However, I've run into a new problem now (especially in the breast area). Now I have a lot of loose skin on my lower tummy, breasts, and hips. I was given the impression that exercise would tighten the skin back up, and it DOES seem to be doing so in certain areas (such as legs and upper abdomine). But other areas, particularly the chest, are not seeing this effect at all. It's not SUPER excessive, but enough to make me more self-concious than ever, and all the exercise seems to be making the above-mentioned problem areas WORSE, not better, by deflating them more.

Does anyone else who has gone through this have any tips on how to get the skin to tighten back up, even a little bit? I would really like to avoid surgery if possible, (but if anyone has been through that too, I would be happy for the advice.)

Thanks everyone

Replies

• Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! That's fantastic!!

Skin, from what I have read, takes time. I have also read that you have to lose most of your extra weight for it to tuck back in as the cells aren't packed together as tightly as when you put the weight on. Drybrushing, massage and creams do help.
  • EmilyinPitt
    Options
    Thank you so much. But which creams and what is dry brushing?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can take up to 2 years for your skin to catch up and depending on how badly it was stretched it may never go back and the only things you can do is surgery or learn to live with it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Sadly, skin can only stretch so far, and sometimes it's gone so far that it won't/can't tighten back up without surgery.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    after i finished breastfeeding i went down from a G to a C cup...almost cried at what they were like and told my husband we were going to have to save so i could buy some new ones! ...BUT within 6 months the skin had gone back to normal and they were pretty much good as new :)

Just give it some time and it might sort itself out (dont know how this compares as i only had them big for a couple of years so maybe not long enough for the skin to be stretched forever?)

...good excuse to get hubby/boyfriend to give you regular massages with lots of oil to keep your skin supple while it shrinks back!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good job on the weight loss.

I agree with mama, it can take time for your skin to catch up. I would give it 6-12 months at least. Lotions with aloe, vitamin e, and aha are suppose to be helpful. I use jergens stretch mark cream in morning and eucerin at night. I also saw a new derm approach on the doctors show that may offer some relief without surgery.
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Lots of water still, keep working with weights, and I use skin tightening wraps. 70 lbs down and no skin issues at all. I use them once a week. They are amazing!
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. But which creams and what is dry brushing?

Dry brushing does a lot and all you do is use a soft bath brush with natural bristles and brush your skin in small circles before getting in the shower or bath. Moisturize when you get out. I like those cellulite creams (my choice dejour is Estee Lauder Re-nutriv Intensive Smoothing body cream – they’ve got one for the neck as well). I have heard cocoa butter is wonderful as well. There are so many great choices out there I don’t imagine it matters much which one you use its more about blood circulation and supporting the tissue itself. I choose based on the smell…if I don’t like it I won’t use it;) http://epicureantable.com/articles/adrybrush.htm