cant get motivated

Options
Please help. I just can't get motivated. Should I join weight watchers? I think I might need that help. Someone right here basicly holding my hand. Of is there another motivator? I want this more than eanything but I'm a single mother that by the time I get out at 6 get babysitter home cook dinner and get the 2 year old off to bed it 930. What do I do? Please please help.

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    What do you do? An exercise tape, walk on your lunch break, take every staircase you can, climb stairs in your home if you have them, push-ups, sit ups, stretching, weights with dumb bells, milk jugs, look in the mirror and say "I am worth this! I love me!", and add me as a friend! How is this for a start? Now haul *kitten*!
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is a difficult time. I wasn't able to really work out on a regular basis til my youngest was 4. And there's two of us! Maybe DVD workouts in the morning. I know wouldn't get anything done with a 2 year old either. We had twins :) Maybe find a friend or partner who will motivate you and workout with you. Can you walk with your child? Walking an hour a day would be a great start. Lots of people have lost tons of weight walking and now that the weather is getting warmer, great time to get started. Put kid in stroller and go. Don't even have to change clothes.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

From what you wrote it sounds to me that the freedom of this online site would be a better fit for you than having to attend meetings. You can do anything for excercise, go for a walk on breal, do an at home DVD like 30 day shread, or just use commercial breaks to do lunges, jumping jacks....any movements is better than none.

Personally I have found great motivating people on this site every day for almost a year, at every time of the day or nihgt. There is always someone here to listen, provide guidance, kick your butt, whatever you need.

If you want this, you can make it happen, the hardest part each day is knowing you are worth the hard work, (becasue make no kistake it is hard work).

Get some inspiring friends on your list and make it a part of you day to log in a post what you did, there is nothing more motivating than the round of cheering you'll get

:)
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Deep down believe you can do it. I know others that they need that in person support to help reach their goals or to at least get them in the right direction. Wish you the best in what ever direction you take. You can always get the support here.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i tell you i can sympathize with you 100%. i am married but am pretty much on my own most of the time due to my hubby's work hrs...I will not get up at 5am to work out at all i need my sleep and my son is always up at 6am... sometimes 5:30 even . By the time i get up and get us ready we are out the door by 7am and work at 7:30. Get off work, pick him up and get home start supper, run his bath and then do his homework.. yup home work in kindergarten! Then off to bed and if i'm lucky i will have 8:00-8:30 to get lunches ready for tomorrow and then have 1 hr to myself before i hit the sack! I have been taking that 1 hr to myself and doing 30ds during it, that's it but i will take what i can... i want to relax for 30 min before i go to sleep.. so my whole day is planned out!5 days a week!!!! now that it is getting nicer out i will make room for 1 hr walks or something outside on the weekends no excuses. That is all i can get in and it will have to do.. it's better then nothing!
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do you like to dance? Get some really pumping Latin music and dance to it. Lots of zumba routines on You Tube. Make up your own moves and just get going to the music. You will be surprised what 30 min. can do for you and it's not painful like you think of exercise. It's fun. Good luck!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    The harsh truth...

You can't wait for motivation to come knocking on your door. Cause you'd be in for a really long wait. :) Not many people wake up with a new burst of enthusiasm for exercise and healthy eating. Like Nike says "Just Do It".

It's because motivation follows action, not the other way around. Thinking it does is just putting the cart before the horse.

I had to learn this lesson many times. Motivation comes from within. No one can give it to you. Someone can get the wheels turning, but the rest is entirely up to you.

There are lots of things you can do for exercise. Exercise DVD's are a great option for someone without a lot of time and a mom. :)
    You can also start with your eating habits. That's a change you can make right away and is the most important thing for losing weight.
    Something I read that helped me when I always felt like I just didn't have the time was "time is only a matter of priorities".

Feel free to add me. I'd be happy to help. :) I wish you lots of luck!!! :) Take care.
  • deanneashley
    Options
    Yes I'm a hairstylist so my days are 8 to 10 hours long. Maybe when scheduale instead of booking all up book myself a walk break? And with the 2 year old it is hard. Cus it is just myself. Father is not around. I want this for myself. So if you know some motivators please send them my way
  • girlholiday
    Options
    I'm really considering joining weight watchers because i'm having a hard time on my own lately. i want to stay motivated, and keep my head into it but sometimes i feel like being on "my own" is scary. my mom gave me her point plus calculator, and right now i am logging things on top keeping track of how many points there are in things to see what will work out the best.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    When my son was 2. I did some exercises with him. I'd do crunches playing peek a boo over my bent knees. I'd lift him up as he would pretend he was an airplane. There are so many exercises you can do with your child as well as bonding with your child. Go for walks...If YOU put your mind to it...YOU can do this.. :) Take "baby steps" to start your progress. Watch your calorie intake and push, really push yourself. Starting is always the hardest part. You can do this!!!
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    work out with your child, instead of putting him/her down before you workout.
    check this video out. I'm sure there are others on youtube for inspiration..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe3m74_tacoma-personal-trainer-2-year-old_people
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow you do sound busy and I cant even imagen trying to get time to exercise as a single mum.

You could try just logging your food and watching what your eating at first which is ½ the battle and then slowly add in some exercise when you get some time…even little things like a few sit ups and push ups before getting into bed…squat five times before sitting on the toilet…incline pushups on the kitchen counter while waiting for the kettle to boil…every little helps and may start getting you motivated to try and fit in more! - good luck, you can do it!
  • kshane3355
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Advocare? It's been around for 19 years but I had never heard of it until I talk to a friend of mine recently. They have a 24 day challenge. It's two-phases... 1st phase is a 10 day cleanse. I was very nervous when I heard "cleanse" but it's "gentle and uneventful". It basically cleans the pipes for the 2nd phase ... Max Phase which is an abundance of great nutrition through supplements. My husband and I are not great athletes and don't truly enjoy exercise (wish we did). I walk on the treadmill 30 mins/3 days a week. He does not exercise.

We start our day with Spark (only 45 calories, high nutrition, no sugar crashes - up to 3 drinks a day). We LOVE it. Favorite flavors - orange, cherry, mango strawberry (and my husband likes fruit punch).

For the first phase (10 days ONLY) - no dairy, excessive sugars/fats, caffeine, wheats - breads, pasta, etc. And I am a two-pots of coffee/day drinker and a huge pasta and white rice lover but I was so excited that I had tons of energy that I didn't crave it. Plus the Spark and supplements filled in the craving gaps.

You, obviously, have to eat a heathier selection of foods and if you exercise, that's even better but I belong to a forum on facebook that is very informative and extremely motivating!! The 2nd phase is easier and even more exciting because you really start to see the progress.

We are on day 14, and I have lost 7 lbs, 5" overall; my husband has lost 9 lbs. and 7". We only have 10 more days and we are sooo stoked!

For more information, take a look at my web site, www.advocare.com/120232044. And I will be happy to help you anyway I can! Sometimes, it takes a village to get thru this stuff. It helped me!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is good.. You could also find a friend to be accountable to.. Sometimes when you have someone you trust and who will hold you accountable makes the follow through easier even when you dont want to. Just a thought..

I am a busy mom too.. I get it. The best gift you can give your son is a happy healthy mom.